Footy book recommendations

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Anyone been reading Keanes second book? More of the same really. Good read though. I haven't read his first in a while but I'm almost sure he has already contradicted himself in regards to Haaland.

Yes, he's a complete cunt as if we didn't already know. Him expecting to be made Ireland captain after walking out on the team. Fucking idiot. And then John Delaney saying on national TV that we would have got to the world cup in 06 if he was captain. Pair of absolute cunts

• 2 weeks later...

Started on the Pep Confidential book yesterday. It's a really good read so far but this extract makes it seem like he manages a complete different sport to the one our so-called manager does.

http://i.imgur.com/06B6evf.jpg

Balague's Pep book was just 300 odd pages of praising him. It read like a slightly long-winded pre-mortem eulogy. Pep's obviously a great manager, nice bloke and was a top player, but the book portrayed him as a transcendent uber-benevolent saint. It got tiresome.

Balague's Pep book was just 300 odd pages of praising him. It read like a slightly long-winded pre-mortem eulogy. Pep's obviously a great manager, nice bloke and was a top player, but the book portrayed him as a transcendent uber-benevolent saint. It got tiresome.

Thankfully the one above isn't the same one.

www.amazon.co.uk/Bobby-Robson-High-Noon-Barcelona/dp/1852276339

Got that on the go at the minute. Had no idea how hated he was over there. It's just page after page of the fans wanting him out or the media trying to get him sacked. He won in the end though.

Robson himself was voted European Manager of the Year for 1996–97, while Ronaldo stated, "as a trainer without doubt [Robson] is one of the greatest in the world"

Also this

Maybe I'm crazy or maybe I'm just an old school manager, but whatever happens from now - even if Barcelona sack me tomorrow - I'll always be proud of the fact that I didn't walk out on a contract. Maybe there's no place for loyalty in football now but it still means a lot to me. That's what my father taught me and I've got his blood in my veins. He would turn in his grave if he found out I'd turned down an offer from Newcastle. I'll tell you one thing, Kenny Dalglish is a very lucky boy.

Guest palnese

Just finished the new Roy Keane book and I wasn't too impressed tbh. A few decent parts here and there, but overall nothing special.

He's clearly not right in the head, but I still like him. He's one of very few interesting characters in football.

• 1 month later...

This is coming out soon and is written by Paul Brown who is pretty much the go to author when it comes to Victorian Football in the UK. Think it will be a really good read.

http://www.allwithsmilingfaces.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/awsfcoversml.png

Looks canny. Going to pick a copy up I think.

Got this for Christmas and read it all today. Really interesting and well worth a read for any Newcastle fan in my opinion. Lots of interesting stories pieces of information I didn't know about the formation of the club and it's early history, really good.

Just finished the new Roy Keane book and I wasn't too impressed tbh. A few decent parts here and there, but overall nothing special.

He's clearly not right in the head, but I still like him. He's one of very few interesting characters in football.

Too much of, "we played Ispwich, Daryl Murphy scored, we won 2-0." It bored me a bit.

Liked the start of it too judging by my last post on it. Loved all the behind the scenes bits.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the opposite of a recommendation. I hoyed "Classic Football Debates Settled Once and For All" on me Kindle to while away the commute, rather fooled by the title, I admit, and I am now unduly angry! It's by Danny Baker and Danny Kelly and it's mostly bullshit, but they take time out to seriously laugh at Geordies losing. I mean, 1974? They're still rolling in the aisles about that? WTF? And they think KK is an actual Geordie. Fucking Cockneys. This doesn't help at all. I only got it because Baker seems like a nice fella, so I'm gonna blame it on Kelly, who has always been a fat loathsome prick, and I presume will be one until his imminent dying day. The moribund fucker.

:lol: I'm not even quarter of the way through yet and I'm wishing death on people. Do not buy this book.

Agree, Tor! is a great read.  Love learning about other football cultures and how it started.

Just got: Johnny Cook: The Impossible Dream by Ian Macintosh.

Love his writing style and his little sections in The Blizzard are a great laugh.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1908940972/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IVA9Z4XQ8CAK&coliid=I1595N5TW7D9IF

Football Fiction but he tends to intersperse it with little football references throughout.

Harton Town are in trouble. With three games left before the end of the season, they're six points adrift at the bottom of the table. They need a hero. They got a delivery driver. And not a particularly good one at that. Johnny Cook is out of shape, out of luck and very nearly out of hair. But it wasn't always like this. Back in 1986, he was Harton's hottest young striker for almost twenty minutes before a heavy challenge ended his career on the same night it began. Due to a ridiculous, and yet somehow plausible, series of events, Cook is given the chance to save his old club from the drop. His players hate him, his chairman hates him, and his girlfriend is struggling to recall exactly what it was she ever liked about him. It's that old-fashioned rags-to-rags, boy-has-girl, girl-doesn't-like-boy, boy-wants-to-keep-girl, girl-wants-a-boy-who-doesn't-use-farts-as-punctuation story, juxtaposed against the top level of English football and set to the music of Supertramp.

I'm probably REALLY late to the party here, but read the below and felt far more educated about those 2 legends than ever. Any other Newcastle related or others that would be worth reading? Seems like I'm far more interested in our club than anything else.

Farewell But Not Goodbye: My Autobiography

Robson, Bobby

Kevin Keegan: An Intimate Portrait of Football's Last Romantic

Ridley, Ian

Kevin Keegan (Goal)

Hodges, Michael

I'm probably REALLY late to the party here, but read the below and felt far more educated about those 2 legends than ever. Any other Newcastle related or others that would be worth reading? Seems like I'm far more interested in our club than anything else.

Robson, Bobby

Ridley, Ian

Kevin Keegan (Goal)

Hodges, Michael

www.amazon.com/My-Autobiography-Kevin-Keegan/dp/0751523771/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422629354&sr=8-2 - Must be paperback.

http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Messiah-Kevin-Keegan-City/dp/095410062X/ref=sr_1_42?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422629610&sr=1-42 - Keeganmania sweeps Manchester

www.amazon.com/Geordie-Messiah-Keegan-Years/dp/1851589716/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422629674&sr=1-1& - Lots of behind the scenes stories

www.amazon.com/My-Autobiography-Englishman-Bobby-Robson/dp/0330369857/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422629719&sr=1-9 - His first autobiography.

www.amazon.com/Magnificent-Obsession-Keegan-Newcastle-Million/dp/074753750X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422630043&sr=1-1 - An overview of the Keegan years

www.amazon.com/Diary-Season-Alan-Shearer/dp/1852275901/ref=sr_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422630332&sr=1-20 - Not about us but it's a good read

www.amazon.com/Bobby-Robson-High-Noon-Barcelona/dp/1852276339/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422630403&sr=1-1 - SBR takes on Barcelona

Robson, Bobby

Ridley, Ian

Kevin Keegan (Goal)

Hodges, Michael

www.amazon.com/My-Autobiography-Kevin-Keegan/dp/0751523771/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422629354&sr=8-2 - Must be paperback.

http://www.amazon.com/Manchester-Messiah-Kevin-Keegan-City/dp/095410062X/ref=sr_1_42?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422629610&sr=1-42 - Keeganmania sweeps Manchester

www.amazon.com/Geordie-Messiah-Keegan-Years/dp/1851589716/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422629674&sr=1-1& - Lots of behind the scenes stories

www.amazon.com/My-Autobiography-Englishman-Bobby-Robson/dp/0330369857/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422629719&sr=1-9 - His first autobiography.

www.amazon.com/Magnificent-Obsession-Keegan-Newcastle-Million/dp/074753750X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422630043&sr=1-1 - An overview of the Keegan years

www.amazon.com/Diary-Season-Alan-Shearer/dp/1852275901/ref=sr_1_20?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422630332&sr=1-20 - Not about us but it's a good read

www.amazon.com/Bobby-Robson-High-Noon-Barcelona/dp/1852276339/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1422630403&sr=1-1 - SBR takes on Barcelona

Cheers mate, I'm going to go ahead and buy these then. Class stuff, thank you for linking it man!

• 3 weeks later...

Think I'll pick this up. Anyone read it?

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/97/80/29/27/26/9780292726307_500X500.jpg

No, but it looks well interesting.

Don't know anything about it really, but with the national footy stadium used as for detention by Pinochet and them having a team called Palestino always thought there must be some interesting politics.

Think I'll pick this up. Anyone read it?

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/97/80/29/27/26/9780292726307_500X500.jpg

No, but it looks well interesting.

Don't know anything about it really, but with the national footy stadium used as for detention by Pinochet and them having a team called Palestino always thought there must be some interesting politics.

http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1356031/palestino-chile-football-club-israel-shirt.jpg

Got fined for having the number 1's on the back of their shirt as the map of Palestine before the creation of Israel not so long back. Good on 'em.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TruToon94

Anybody else read "Up There" by Michael Walker. Goes over the local history as well as that of the North Eastern clubs and is a pretty interesting read, doesn't go into too much depth but in my opinion is a good book exploring the region and its local characters as well as the clubs. Also draws attention to the fact that the North East produced a ton of important things for the world but doesn't get much recognition nowadays. The front cover is one of my favorites as well.

http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9781909245174_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG