Footy book recommendations

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Finally read Soccer in Sun and Shadow, hoping to knock off the remaining few football books on my list over the next few months. Anyone read Red or Dead by David Peace? Loved The Damned Utd, reviews don't seem as good for this one though.

Finally read Soccer in Sun and Shadow, hoping to knock off the remaining few football books on my list over the next few months. Anyone read Red or Dead by David Peace? Loved The Damned Utd, reviews don't seem as good for this one though.

Is Red or Dead the Shankly  one. If so, yes I've read it.  Couldn't read Shanks' speech lines without hearing his voice. It's very good.

Mind I remember him and his unique character, might not have the same appeal if you don't have a recollection of the man.

I'm trying to group my footy books now. Feel like I've done enough reading on Newcastle now that I've read about half a dozen books on Keegan, SBR and Shearer. I've read the Bellamy book, Das Reboot, but want to get into reading a bit about Maldini and then go off on to read some books on the Spanish (Barca maybe?) and Dutch (total football) type  stuff.

The Football Ramble guys announced they have written a book. Out in October. TBD on whether or not it will be a train wreck.

It'll be a toilet book rather than owt serious you'd imagine.

Guest Howaythetoon

Finally bought Touching Distance, adding to my collection of Newcastle related books. Looking forward to digging into this one, have read a few Keegan books now and really have learned so much more about the man himself.

I've got the book but cant quite get to the end of it.

I'm trying to group my footy books now. Feel like I've done enough reading on Newcastle now that I've read about half a dozen books on Keegan, SBR and Shearer. I've read the Bellamy book, Das Reboot, but want to get into reading a bit about Maldini and then go off on to read some books on the Spanish (Barca maybe?) and Dutch (total football) type  stuff.

Fear and loathing in la Liga by Sid Lowe is pretty good. Forza Italia by Paddy Agnew is good iirc, Calcio is also meant to be good but never read it. Have been meaning to read The Miracle of Castel di Sangro and A Season with Verona for years but never read either

Finally bought Touching Distance, adding to my collection of Newcastle related books. Looking forward to digging into this one, have read a few Keegan books now and really have learned so much more about the man himself.

I've got the book but cant quite get to the end of it.

:thup: will start it tonight now that I'm back home. I really level through these books on flights, so will prob read most of it in a few weeks on next road trip. If anyone has time, I think they should read the books about Keegan - fascinating stuff (tons of what-ifs), same for SBR. Will have to do this for Rafa as well tbh. You all either grew up with these guys, hear stories every day or are exposed to more "news" than we are here in America so this reading helps me catch up a bit.

Fear and loathing in la Liga by Sid Lowe is pretty good. Forza Italia by Paddy Agnew is good iirc, Calcio is also meant to be good but never read it. Have been meaning to read The Miracle of Castel di Sangro and A Season with Verona for years but never read either

Thanks man!

A Season With Verona is really good, pretty quick to get through even though it's a decent length. The writing does date itself a bit, especially when he starts talking about "blacks." Cool to read about some players with Verona at the time, Gilardino was just starting his career, Mutu was there, as was Oddo. Definitely a good read.

Never read The Miracle of Castel di Sangro, but here's a great article about by the author's son http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/lessons-from-my-father Depressing, but good, and some insight into his reasons behind writing the book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm absolutely dying to read Tunnel of Love, like. Like the lad who was leading the True Faith podcast said, Touching Distance is a bit of an education whereas this is my era (and many others on here).

• 5 weeks later...

The bits when he talks about his career are a bit meh, as a lot of it is things you already know and due to the small size of the book doesn't really go into a lot of depth.

The last third or so when he talks about his philosophies on how the game should be played is excellent though.

• 1 month later...

Finally read The Miracle of Castel di Sangro. Brilliant stuff.

Real shame about the ending knowing that the utmost respect the author had for all the players was so greatly diminished in one day.

The manager is like a caricature of a PFM though, some hilarious moments between him and McGinniss :lol:

A Season With Verona is really good, pretty quick to get through even though it's a decent length. The writing does date itself a bit, especially when he starts talking about "blacks." Cool to read about some players with Verona at the time, Gilardino was just starting his career, Mutu was there, as was Oddo. Definitely a good read.

Never read The Miracle of Castel di Sangro, but here's a great article about by the author's son http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/lessons-from-my-father Depressing, but good, and some insight into his reasons behind writing the book.

Just read that article. Hadn't realised McGinniss was dead. Ray Hudson spoke at his funeral according to wikipedia :lol:

Just finished Uli Hesse's Bayern - love them or hate them, they have a fascinating history and the section on their survival during the 30s and 40s is absorbing. This is a really good follow up to Tor and I love his writing style, the only other writer who matches him for me is Caulkin. A book on Dortmund is next, due for release in the summer of 2018 and this should be gripping as they're the team of his heart.