Footy book recommendations

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Started Bergkamp's the other day. Had a bit of an autobiography binge recently and I'm only half-reading this, but it seems really good and wanna read it properly. So I'm probably gonna leave it for a week. It's basically one long interview; which I kinda like, as opposed to knowing there's a ghost writer embellishing stuff. A bit of credibility was lost when Redknapp said "I can't read or write" less than a third into the book. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Did anyone get Pirlo's book then?

Yeah, I never had him down as a nutter but the way he speaks can only come from an insane mind :lol:

Seriously? The things that I've heard from it just suggest that he's funny and slightly pretentious, whereas others probably think he's a bit mental. I can relate.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I'm still waiting for this in English. Apparently it may get translated if he gets another job in England, sadly my Italian doesn't get far beyond....grazi.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71ysJGxyI4L._SL1500_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading "Running with the Firm" by James Bannon.

Story of the undercover officers who infiltrated Millwalls radgies in the late 80's and upon whose case the film ID was loosely based.

It's very interesting being from a covert police officers perspective.

I read this in 2 days on holiday. Quality book and recommend it to anyone! Very interesting.

• 2 months later...

This is coming out soon and is written by Paul Brown who is pretty much the go to author when it comes to Victorian Football in the UK. Think it will be a really good read.

http://www.allwithsmilingfaces.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/awsfcoversml.png

This is coming out soon and is written by Paul Brown who is pretty much the go to author when it comes to Victorian Football in the UK. Think it will be a really good read.

http://www.allwithsmilingfaces.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/awsfcoversml.png

Looks canny. Going to pick a copy up I think.

Yeah, I never had him down as a nutter but the way he speaks can only come from an insane mind :lol:

Seriously? The things that I've heard from it just suggest that he's funny and slightly pretentious, whereas others probably think he's a bit mental. I can relate.

Gave on Pirlo's book about 3/4 of the way through, he's insufferable. Shame as I love him as a player.

Gave on Pirlo's book about 3/4 of the way through, he's insufferable. Shame as I love him as a player.

I read it, thought it was quite interesting.

However, it is so short, it is barely more than a magazine's length.

I read it, thought it was quite interesting.

However, it is so short, it is barely more than a magazine's length.

I enjoyed it, he is a bit mental.

It's definitely different, there's just only so many badly-written quips I can handle. Saying that it probably has been translated from Italian as well. I'm not a fan of football autobiographies in general really, maybe that's why.

Expectations were really high as well, because I absolutely love Pirlo. Have to rememember he's still a footballer though.

I don't think that's particularly fair. A man is not his job and all that.

I just mean, I expected it to be beautifully written and constructed like his football, but that wasn't really a fair expectation.

His ideas and thinking are pretty different, it's just not brilliantly written.

I thought it was quality personally. Loads different seeing a footballer with an opinion on things, unlike the likes of Gerrard and Lampard whose books I could imagine being dull as fuck.

Gerrard's main one is surprisingly good. Far more in-depth that I though it would be.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think that's particularly fair. A man is not his job and all that.

I just mean, I expected it to be beautifully written and constructed like his football, but that wasn't really a fair expectation.

His ideas and thinking are pretty different, it's just not brilliantly written.

:thup: Makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thenorthumbrian

Anyone been reading Keanes second book? More of the same really. Good read though. I haven't read his first in a while but I'm almost sure he has already contradicted himself in regards to Haaland.

Keane is a cunt and I hate Manure, so I will give it a miss,

Guest thenorthumbrian

An interesting book about how influential football can be (not always for the better) is

The 10 Football Matches That Changed The World ... and the One That Didn't

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11/276-8608261-0969145?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=jim%20murphy%20the%2010%20football%20matches&sprefix=jim+murphy+%2Caps%2C283

This came out this week, will have to give it a read even though you are not allowed to like Guardiola any more.

The Auteur of Säbener Straße: A Book Review of Perarnau’s Pep Confidential | Bundesliga Fanatic - http://bundesligafanatic.com/book-review-perarnau-pep-confidential/

Will be a great read. Nearly finished Balague's book about him, think this will be my next purchase :thup: