Newcastle United 2 - 2 Tottenham - 16/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

I was able to watch this game live and I thought we played good enough to get 3 points.  The penalty wasn't really Saylors fault, he was put under pressure by a lazy pass which was surprising coming from Colo.  Defoe's goal was well taken but Raylor showed his inexperience (or lack of talent) as a defender.  I was glad to see come on and it looked like he ran well.  He needs to play in place of Raylor though, not Simpson.  Just about every single time Raylor was on the ball in our own half he hoofed it up and we handed possession right back to the Spurs.

I thought Obertan played a more lively game.  He and Jonas gave the club excellent width and Tiote, especially used the space to his advantage.  Tiote was excellent both on the ball and in defense.  Jonas' penetration and cross was a thing of beauty and Ba filled the channel perfectly.  I nearly shit my pants when Shola scored and the flick pass to set it up was sublime.

Watching the team, you can see that they are playing with confidence.  They have a good first touch as a team, have good vision and are not afraid to express themselves on the ball.  I was not happy with Krul constantly kicking it deep and would have preferred that he get it to the back line and build up play more often.

Great game to watch.

I also noticed we are pressuring the ball high up the field and have our defence quite high so spaces between the lines are reduced. This is great to see, playing high pressure and positve football, thought the forwards ran their socks off every time spurs passed the ball out of defence...

I also noticed we are pressuring the ball high up the field and have our defence quite high so spaces between the lines are reduced. This is great to see, playing high pressure and positve football, thought the forwards ran their socks off every time spurs passed the ball out of defence...

I noticed that straight away as well, top notch. Particular credit to the forwards who tracked back excellently and hassled their defenders a lot.

boring first half - brilliant second. fair result.

cabaye is to blame for their first, though taylor shouldn´t have been so aggressive in his challenge on adebayor!

few things to comment on:

colo : our best player by far.

obertan: much worse end product than jonas.

Shola: thats why he still gets picked. great great goal!!!

ben arfa: still not there yet.

really really happy with the players reaction both times we were behind...outstanding spirit!

we really need ben arfa in the starting line up....we play long balls too often!

cabaye is to blame for their first, though taylor shouldn´t have been so aggressive in his challenge on adebayor!

really really happy with the players reaction both times we were behind...outstanding spirit!

we really need ben arfa in the starting line up....we play long balls too often!

No. Gave the ball away, but he isnt too blame. Ade was going away from goal, no need to challenge. Taylor was to blame.

I would place the blame for their goal first on Colo for passing it into Cabaye under such pressure, then Taylor for his rash tackle and lastly Cabaye for maybe being a bit slow in possession. Doesn't matter either way though, great performance and good result.

I don't think Taylor's challenge was necessary, he could have just tracked Adebayor's run, but he only had a split second to decide. 

No. Gave the ball away, but he isnt too blame. Ade was going away from goal, no need to challenge. Taylor was to blame.

:serious:

Adebayor wasn't going away from goal though, he knocked it wide as Taylor's challenge came in. It was still a poor challenge like, but a challenge was neccesary.

EDIT: Ofcourse Cabaye has to take huge blame, if that was Ryan Taylor there would have been hell on.

Never mind Ryan Taylor, imagine if it was Simpson. Or if it was Simpson who let Defoe turn and shoot. :kasper:

The referee was excellent IMO. Taylor should have been booked on the penalty though.

O0

Don't think that Taylor should have been booked though.  He made a genuine attempt to play the ball and I really don't go along with the idea that there almost always should be a card of some description just because a penalty has been conceded.

I noticed that straight away as well, top notch. Particular credit to the forwards who tracked back excellently and hassled their defenders a lot.

:thup: :thup:

The referee was excellent IMO. Taylor should have been booked on the penalty though.

Don't really agree. He missed a number of fouls and gave some questionable FKs too IMO. His assistant on the East Stand touchline was abysmal as well.

agreed called everything right and let the game flow well enough, bit slow with the pen call but he got it right so no harm in taking time I suppose

Good point.  I noticed that as soon as the final whistle blew, the entire Spurs back four stopped in their spot and immediately bent over.  They must have been exhausted.  In the first half, when we were controlling play i thought a lot of Spurs players were getting frustrated because they were always a step behind.  We just lacked the end product to push them over the edge.  Then the penalty and it looked like the Spurs regained focus.

There are a few differences in the few mintues I saw Santon on the pitch as opposed to Simpson. Better going forward, by alot. Got a few tricks up his sleeve to not be pushed into a corner. And aswell what has bugged me alot with regards to Simpson is his backtracking after a forward run, more often then not he jogs back beeing far too late to get home when the ball is lost. Santon was sprinting like a maniac back to his position.