1989/1990

Stevie

Quality read, you should make it into a book

Who the fuck would buy my book Nobby?  :lol:  I'm nee Jilly Cooper.  Having said this lad from Ponteland did one, I thought he came across as a stuck up nobhead in the book, but at least he took the time to write it.  However it's enjoyable typing it out even on here, and I just thought it might jog other peoples memories about the season too, and we could all romanticise about how good it was (really it was pretty shit).

Part 2 on Friday.

I remember being very impressed at the time with John Gallacher but he seemed to completely disappear without trace. Didn't Sumo get 36 goals and McGhee 25? Awesome statistics it must be said.

I will mention that horrible night yes, the joint worst Newcastle experience for me along with Poyet at Wembley :(

Quinn got 36 but I thought McGhee got 21, I'll check before I write about that.  I remember McGhee didn't score for ages though when he first came and then they all started flying in.  I thought we had the new Stanley Matthews after Gallacher's goal and performance against Leeds, but as with a lot of young players at Newcastle he just seemed to drift away to obscurity.  Michael O'Neill is the classic example of that, and everyone who saw him at 18 thought he'd be a world beater.

don't forget that mcghee goal  V bradford,took on half their team in the last minute...how many missed that goal ?????

Guest Gemmill

Wasn't this supposed to be going up on the mainsite?

No room, what with the requests for technical help for using a 16 track digital recorder.  bluebigrazz.gif

Stevie took one look at that and decided to keep it real.  :cool:

No room, what with the requests for technical help for using a 16 track digital recorder.  bluebigrazz.gif

bluelaugh.gif

To be fair, it was Stevie's idea to put it on the main site. :D

bluelaugh.gif

Well when it's all finished in a few weeks time, if you or Andy could get it on newsnow, that would be great.  Older toon fans who don't frequent this site might be interested.  My initial idea was other people to contribute their memories of 89/90, and we had a big collection.  I'm doing my part 1-6 chronologically though, McGhee's goal will  probably be in part 3.  I think Peter Jackson was one of the Bradford centre halfs he skinned that day might be wrong like.

Through no cunts fault, I think this site has slightly went down hill, it's definitely not admin's fault, admin can't influence how interesting the posts are, but there's not that many posts that interest me to be honest, which is why I stopped coming on for a while, and why I thought I'd try something different.

That said there's plenty good lads on here, plenty knowledgable people, and without arselicking it's by a distance the best toon site on the net.  Toontastic - bit clanish, TOTT - full of teenage wanks, opposition fan wind ups, and the biggest nobhead Soccer AM enthuiast wank on the net (banned me for mentioning Heysel in a diplomatic way), NE5's board - canny but Northern Monkey's in the admin, Newcastle United Footy MAD Toon Chat - better than TOTT, better admin but still too many wanks.  All in all Newcastle-Online is the best by far but it could be even better, and that's why more cunts like me should come up with new ideas.

Guest TheOrder

bluelaugh.gif

Well when it's all finished in a few weeks time, if you or Andy could get it on newsnow, that would be great.  Older toon fans who don't frequent this site might be interested.  My initial idea was other people to contribute their memories of 89/90, and we had a big collection.  I'm doing my part 1-6 chronologically though, McGhee's goal will  probably be in part 3.  I think Peter Jackson was one of the Bradford centre halfs he skinned that day might be wrong like.

This very forum could fund the book Stevie, give it a thought!

bluelaugh.gif

i have to say, if you continued this up to the present day i would buy it  blueyes.gif

The season we where relegated we had actually shown some ambition in the transfare market and brought in Bassett and Thorn from WImbledon, John Robertson from Hearts and had just finished about 8th in the league on paper had quite a decent team but a midget forward line and a manager, McFool who didnt know how to utilise them proparly. How familiar does that sound.  I had high hopes for that season.....should have known better.

Few highs like the 2-2 draw with Liverpool at SJP. Standing in the Gallowgate whilst it Pissed down all afternoon was dry from the lower chest down so many packed in there, Im sure Alan Hansen slipped to let Mira score at Gallowgate end then Frankie Pringle got his goal after ball whacked into the back of his head and went in, pure genius.

Also Charlton game must have been the worst ive witnessed about 12,000 hardy souls in 0-2 defeat i think only match i left early as did most people. We needed a good start to 89 season and 5-2 win against Leeds was brilliant although dont think it was as clear cut as scoreline suggested think they where 2-1 up at half time and believe that it was Strachans debut and Batty a youngster had a good game.

I think ive got all the old match programs in the loft somewhere gathering mould ill look them out.

It does show how far we have come the last 16 years but to answer the old timers times and expectations change and rightly so.

Guest Toon Barmy

Who the fuck would buy my book Nobby?  :lol:  I'm nee Jilly Cooper.  Having said this lad from Ponteland did one, I thought he came across as a stuck up nobhead in the book, but at least he took the time to write it.  However it's enjoyable typing it out even on here, and I just thought it might jog other peoples memories about the season too, and we could all romanticise about how good it was (really it was pretty shit).

Part 2 on Friday.

Its a good, enjoyable read with great sentiment.  It shows it is not the ins and outs of what happens on the pitch as much as the ins and outs off it. Keep up the good work.  Perhaps admin might turn it into a strand for the main site???

Who the F*** would buy my book Nobby?  :lol:  I'm nee Jilly Cooper.  Having said this lad from Ponteland did one, I thought he came across as a stuck up nobhead in the book, but at least he took the time to write it.  However it's enjoyable typing it out even on here, and  I just thought it might jog other peoples memories about the season too, and we could all romanticise about how good it was (really it was pretty shit).

Part 2 on Friday.

Its a good, enjoyable read with great sentiment.  It shows it is not the ins and outs of what happens on the pitch as much as the ins and outs off it. Keep up the good work.  Perhaps admin might turn it into a strand for the main site???

Cheers Toonbarmy :thup:

Apologies that part 2's not done yet, I've been on the drink last two days and couldn't be arsed. 

I think I'd be willing to buy this as well. It's nice to see the history of a club from the perspective of a fan.  I've only been aware of the club for less than 2 years and I need to know more about where the club has been. I'm enjoying this so far.

• 3 years later...

I think I'd be willing to buy this as well. It's nice to see the history of a club from the perspective of a fan.  I've only been aware of the club for less than 2 years and I need to know more about where the club has been. I'm enjoying this so far.

Yeah, it's enjoyable.

You don't know how pleased I am to hear you mention the Gallowgate bogs. There was a period in the late 80's-early 90's where I didn't go to the matches and a lot went on in terms of change. I was a little kid when I went to my first matches with my dad in the 80's and have memories of the Gallowgate toilets. I was looking at old photos of SJP on .com and it brought back memories of those matches and the Gallowgate pissers. Couldn't remember if I had recalled correctly but I remember going through the turnstiles, up the steps and right so I'm chuffed to see you write about it.

Nice one.

• 7 months later...

I agree, Michael, welcome to the forum.

Great read in what was a real season of ups and downs. Quinn's and McGhee's goals, the cameos from John Gallagher and ended with that awful defeat to the mackems. I never missed a home game that year - even went to the Simod Cup game (v Derby, IIRC) The playoff defeat was a bad night with me and my pals being in the Gallowgate Corner towards the back. We left when the nuggets at the front decided to run on the pitch in an effort to get the game abandoned. Was a very quiet and difficult bus journey home. :(

*Edit* didn't realize this has been bumped from over a year ago. :???: