St James' Park

Dave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-15699182

Northern Rock has ended its sponsorship deal with Newcastle United early, the BBC has learned.

The £10m deal was renewed in January last year and was due to last four years.

It included a clause allowing the bank to get out after two years, which it has now taken up. It is understood the decision was made on financial grounds.

On Thursday, the club announced its ground St James' Park was being renamed the Sports Direct Arena.

Newcastle-based state-run bank Northern Rock said the end of the sponsorship was nothing to do with the stadium name change, but following a change in the way it spends money on marketing.

In the last few years, Northern Rock has ended its sponsorship deals with Durham County Cricket Club, basketball outfit Newcastle Eagles and rugby union side Newcastle Falcons.

Neither Northern Rock nor Newcastle United would be interviewed on the decision.

'Different way'

But in an interview with BBC Newcastle on Thursday about the stadium name change, Newcastle United managing director Derek Llambias said they were looking for a new shirt sponsor.

He said: "I need to find a new shirt sponsor by the end of December - and that's the latest.

"Puma need to put the shirt sponsor on, they're manufacturing, and they would like it last month.

"I've got a very small window to sell the shirt and naming rights and, if I have to sell them separately, then I have to sell them separately."

Newcastle United, who are currently third in the Premier League, said a change to the Sports Direct Arena was a prelude to securing a new global sponsor which would generate more revenue.

It said the club could generate up to £10m a season by attracting a joint shirt and stadium sponsor.

But the announcement about the stadium rename was greeted with anger by fans.

Labour leader Ed Miliband urged Newcastle United to abandon plans to rename its ground.

The Labour leader said football clubs were owned not just by individuals but their supporters, and that given the "overwhelming" opposition of fans the club had a responsibility to find a "different way forward".

so shirt sponsorship is worth around 2.5m a season then, guess that'll be another 2.5m mike ashley will have to "subsidise" the club per year then, or simply let a player go off the books and not replace him thus saving the amount in wages, i.e. smith this summer

We should get more than that now, Villa signed one in the summer for £8 million apparently.

Very small window to sell shirt and naming rights = Sports Direct on the shirt until a buyer is found = Sports Direct on the shirt until fat Mike f***s off.

This unfortunately.

Will probably be 12bet to be honest (Chinese gambling). They've recently become a sponsor/partner and if Ashley wants to get his sports direct shite into the far east then this is (at present) his best chance of doing it

so shirt sponsorship is worth around 2.5m a season then, guess that'll be another 2.5m mike ashley will have to "subsidise" the club per year then, or simply let a player go off the books and not replace him thus saving the amount in wages, i.e. smith this summer

We should get more than that now, Villa signed one in the summer for £8 million apparently.

look who we've got doing our negotiating though, a man who tries to sell the naming rights the ground by publicly stating the amount they want for it (more than arsenal get incidentally i believe), and who admits he's got one month to get a shirt sponsor in the same breath

these aren't tactics that are likely to massively increase our income streams are they?

company: "hi we'd like to sponsor newcastle's shirts please"

dekka: "5m a year"

company: "have a good day sir, here's our number so you can call us back when you get closer to your own deadline you fucking imbecile"

look who we've got doing our negotiating though, a man who tries to sell the naming rights the ground by publicly stating the amount they want for it (more than arsenal get incidentally i believe), and who admits he's got one month to get a shirt sponsor in the same breath

these aren't tactics that are likely to massively increase our income streams are they?

company: "have a good day sir, here's our number so you can call us back when you get closer to your own deadline you f***ing imbecile"

hasn't it dawned yet that we announced the shirt/stadium renaming before northern rock announced their withdrawal ?

company: "have a good day sir, here's our number so you can call us back when you get closer to your own deadline you fucking imbecile"

Arsenal's deal isn't very good though, it looked it at the time but they're stuck with it while teams around them are getting superior deals.

Someone on here said they were negotiating with someone from Qatar over shirt sponsorship before the Northern Rock pulling out story came about, I believe him since it's too much of a coincidence for me.

Someone on here said they were negotiating with someone from Qatar over shirt sponsorship before the Northern Rock pulling out story came about

oh well then, case closed then

i suppose they did have a lot of success the last time they went trying to hawk themselves round the middle east :thup:

what's the implication of that madras, sorry i've got morning booze fog here like

the stadium thing and northern rock pulling out go hand in hand, i'd be surprised if it wasn't known about behind closed doors weeks ago.

what's the implication of that madras, sorry i've got morning booze fog here like

the stadium thing and northern rock pulling out go hand in hand, i'd be surprised if it wasn't known about behind closed doors weeks ago.

still don't see where you're going with this, that NR pulled out because of the stadium naming? ???

or just that they've had plenty of time to line up a new sponsor?

still don't see where you're going with this, that NR pulled out because of the stadium naming? ???

no. how could the club say the stadium naming could tie in with shirt sponsorship if they didn't already know NR would be withdrawing ?

Someone on here said they were negotiating with someone from Qatar over shirt sponsorship before the Northern Rock pulling out story came about

i suppose they did have a lot of success the last time they went trying to hawk themselves round the middle east :thup:

I wouldn't dismiss it, he was shot down for being told that we were negotiating with them over shirt sponsorship as our old deal didn't run out until 2014, 2 weeks later it's announced that it now ends at the end of the season.

Coincidence?

no. how could the club say the stadium naming could tie in with shirt sponsorship if they didn't already know NR would be withdrawing ?

okey dokey

I wouldn't dismiss it, he was shot down for being told that we were negotiating with them over shirt sponsorship as our old deal didn't run out until 2014, 2 weeks later it's announced that it now ends at the end of the season.

Coincidence?

never dismiss anything true, but getting a major sponsorship deal from a Qatari company would show a level of professionalism hitherto not before seen from these fucking knackers