Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

"When I arrived at Newcastle, him and Dietmar Hamann always looked out for me on the pitch. If they saw certain defenders looking like they were out to get me, they'd make a series of tackles that would make them understand they were supporting me. It's an image that will stay in my head. The solidarity that emanated from the man."

- Louis Saha. :(

It really hits home how important he was to our club when you see tributes like this from Saha and similarly from Viana yesterday, players who had short and relatively unspectacular spells at the club and players who you don't really expect to hear from, but it's obvious Gary made an excellent and lasting impression on them during the time they spent with us.

I think the 2 goals down at Pride Park were the last example of vintage Speed, the box-to-box colossus.

Was that the bizarre 4-3 win down there?

"I could not believe it, it came as a terrible blow. For a while I couldn't speak and I just shook my head. I've had a bad feeling running throughout my body all day, I don't know how to send my condolences to those close to him. The situation is so confusing, there was nothing to suggest anything like this would happen, it makes no sense. He had a spectacular family. He was someone who was respected as a professional, honest and serious. He was the first one to arrive, and the last to leave training. He was always so careful, always the leader. The last time I spoke to him was a year ago, he had just been named manager of Sheffield United and I went to congratulate him, he was very happy. We hadn't seen each other in years, but it was as if we'd only seen each other the day before. I was a stranger in the dressing room, and Speed, in his position as leader, always made sure that I was ok, that I never missed anything"

- Marcelino

I think the 2 goals down at Pride Park were the last example of vintage Speed, the box-to-box colossus.

Yep. The same day the WWF came to Newcastle.

Bloody hell, I was at that at the Arena. Still have my DX t shirt somewhere.

Seems a million years ago.

"I could not believe it, it came as a terrible blow. For a while I couldn't speak and I just shook my head. I've had a bad feeling running throughout my body all day, I don't know how to send my condolences to those close to him. The situation is so confusing, there was nothing to suggest anything like this would happen, it makes no sense. He had a spectacular family. He was someone who was respected as a professional, honest and serious. He was the first one to arrive, and the last to leave training. He was always so careful, always the leader. The last time I spoke to him was a year ago, he had just been named manager of Sheffield United and I went to congratulate him, he was very happy. We hadn't seen each other in years, but it was as if we'd only seen each other the day before. I was a stranger in the dressing room, and Speed, in his position as leader, always made sure that I was ok, that I never missed anything"

- Marcelino

Wow.

- Marcelino

Wow.

Amazing. Nearly welling up again reading that.  :'(

- Marcelino

Wow.

Speaks volumes.

Me too. Still have an autograph from Hardcore Holly somewhere.

- Marcelino

See my above post. Amazing to see all these tributes come in. :thup:

- Marcelino

Wow.

- Marcelino

wow, amazing how one man can have an effect like speed has had. i don't think anyone could of known just how influencial he had been in his life.

Me too. Still have an autograph from Hardcore Holly somewhere.

I'm sure i was at that too, Bad Ass Billy Gun threw his shirt into the crowd, Stone Cold Vs the Big Bossman? That one?