Spain win Euro 2012

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Decent group. Not too easy, not too hard. Croatia impressed me greatly in their playoff against Turkey, so I wouldn't count them out completely. Ireland - sorry - should be bottom and then it's up to us against Italy.

You'll find that Trap has Ireland well organised and hard to beat. Spain should have too much for them though but I wouldn't rule out getting a draw vs Italy and maybe sneak a win against the croats, you never know, Ireland have sprung bigger surprises in the past.

Set up to be hard to beat, last chance of doing a Greece and winning the tournament like that before it changes to 24 team format.  :frantic:

Ireland are shit.

International mackems you could say. All based on contain & break with some long shot merchants who are low on skill/high on workrate in the middle.

Ireland are shit.

International mackems you could say. All based on contain & break with some long shot merchants who are low on skill/high on workrate in the middle.

Glen Whelan and Keith Andrews.

Problem Xavi? :troll:

Ìreland do have terrible players aye, but that just makes the job Trapatonni has done even better.

I expect us to finish bottom of the group, but look at our players ffs!  :jones:

Set up to be hard to beat, last chance of doing a Greece and winning the tournament like that before it changes to 24 team format.  :frantic:

24 team tournaments are terrible. The only way I would enjoy it is if the eight most highly ranked teams were given a "bye" and the remaining sixteen played a one match seeded playoff to see who made the final sixteen. I understand this would be incredibly difficult logistically, but I hate any tournament system where we are comparing team from different groups.

24 team tournaments are terrible. The only way I would enjoy it is if the eight most highly ranked teams were given a "bye" and the remaining sixteen played a one match seeded playoff to see who made the final sixteen. I understand this would be incredibly difficult logistically, but I hate any tournament system where we are comparing team from different groups.

Couldn't agree more. Massively against the expansion, really poor idea IMO.

Whole heartedly agree. I assume the thinking behind it is with more 'smaller' FAs getting their teams to the tournament this will generate more money for them to develop.

I hate the new format, will make qualification a bit meaningless and dilute the quality of the competition. Now there's a bunch of tough groups were big nations can struggle if they don't show up on the day, I don't want to end up with WC-like groups were there's often a gulf between the 2 best and the 2 bottom participants.

Whole heartedly agree. I assume the thinking behind it is with more 'smaller' FAs getting their teams to the tournament this will generate more money for them to develop.

Or bigger competition means bigger TV deals for UEFA more like.

Totally agree with your point VI too, the joy of the Euros is that the quality is consistant for the most part throughout. Chances are it'll reduce the shock non-qualifiers too that you often get.

Maybe I am mad, but something I would love to see is a 40 team World Cup format, where 24 of the qualifiers are guaranteed automatic qualification to the group stage (a certain requirement for each federation+the most highly ranked sides) and the remaining 16 can either play home/away knockouts or one match playoffs at the World Cup site to be placed in a predetermined group spot. This I would enjoy for the excitement alone.

Is it actually 24-teams for the next Euros?  :pilko:

More teams just means a poorer standard of football and entertainment. There's a reason the Euros have been far better, in entertainment terms, than World Cups of late.

Euro 2004 was an atrocity, imo. Inferior to WC 2002 and 2010.

Aye, group stages are gonna be a bit pointless in the new system.

As for Ireland, still never seen us lose to England in my lifetime, shite as we are. If we do somehow come up against each other in the final this summer try not to tear the stadium apart in a defeated rage if you can Ash, I know it's in your blood but try to do the right thing. :pow:

More teams just means a poorer standard of football and entertainment. There's a reason the Euros have been far better, in entertainment terms, than World Cups of late.

Don't know, the pleasure of a massive underdog winning detracted somewhat from their horrific footballing style.

Can only really remember England's games like, which were canny good.

As for Ireland, still never seen us lose to England in my lifetime, shite as we are. If we do somehow come up against each other in the final this summer try not to tear the stadium apart in a defeated rage if you can Ash, I know it's in your blood but try to do the right thing. :pow:

:yao:

Don't know, the pleasure of a massive underdog winning detracted somewhat from their horrific footballing style.

Can only really remember England's games like, which were canny good.

My feelings at the time were pretty much what you've just said plus it was fun seeing Ronaldo in tears.

Looking back now though, Greece's triumph did football no favours tbh.

:yao:

Must have missed all those finals England played in. :lol: