Spain win Euro 2012

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BooBoo

Carragher man, as if his voice alone wasn't ridiculous enough, he compounds it by using it to talk nonsense.

Oh, it came off an Irish player in the lead up to the goal.

But Jelavic was offside from the initial shot. How that's not gaining an advantage I'm not sure.

Having seen the replay again, it was an attempted "clearance" from the Irish player so guess that it's not offside if the defender had "control" of the situation? :dontknow:

Yeah I know it came off a defender last, but Jelavic was already offside when the first shot was struck outside the box (as was another attacker). Presumably it classes as a second phase or whatever bollocks, but he clearly gained an advantage and that's what the rule is supposed to prevent.

Don't think so. If the initial shot had gone in, you wouldn't have claimed it was offside, would you?

Eh? In that case Jelavic wouldn't have gained an advantage. :lol:

If the initial shot had gone straight to Jelavic who had controlled it then offside should definitely have been given.

No doubt. My point is if he had been onside when the initial shot came in, then ran 'offside' and was still in that 'offside' position when the ball deflected off the Ireland player, you wouldn't argue that the goal shouldn't stand, would you? What position he was in during that initial shot is surely irrelevant.

But Jelavic was offside from the initial shot. How that's not gaining an advantage I'm not sure.

Having seen the replay again, it was an attempted "clearance" from the Irish player so guess that it's not offside if the defender had "control" of the situation? :dontknow:

Yeah I know it came off a defender last, but Jelavic was already offside when the first shot was struck outside the box (as was another attacker). Presumably it classes as a second phase or whatever bollocks, but he clearly gained an advantage and that's what the rule is supposed to prevent.

Don't think so. If the initial shot had gone in, you wouldn't have claimed it was offside, would you?

If the initial shot had gone straight to Jelavic who had controlled it then offside should definitely have been given.

No doubt. My point is if he had been onside when the initial shot came in, then ran 'offside' and was still in that 'offside' position when the ball deflected off the Ireland player, you wouldn't argue that the goal wouldn't have stood, would you? What position he was in during that initial shot is surely irrelevant.

Wouldn't have been a second phase then would it, just a bad back pass.. ???

Guest BooBoo

Was impressed with Jelavic when we went down to Goodison... Caused us all sorts of problems...

Still mildly irritated by our lazy performance that day. Stroll in the park for Everton.

No doubt. My point is if he had been onside when the initial shot came in, then ran 'offside' and was still in that 'offside' position when the ball deflected off the Ireland player, you wouldn't argue that the goal wouldn't have stood, would you? What position he was in during that initial shot is surely irrelevant.

It's about that extra advantage he gained by already being ahead of the last defender. Happens all the time that a ball gets a deflection or comes back off the keeper or a post, strikers often are more alive to the rebound than defenders. If he was level or better and a defender simply played him through with a wank clearance or whatever then fair enough if he beats the other defenders to the ball.

If the initial shot had come back off the goalkeeper to Jelavic then IMO he should be given offside (if the officials spotted it). I don't think there's a difference with this.

It's about that extra advantage he gained by already being ahead of the last defender. Happens all the time that a ball gets a deflection or comes back off the keeper or a post, strikers often are more alive to the rebound than defenders. If he was level or better and a defender simply played him through with a wank clearance or whatever then fair enough if he beats the other defenders to the ball.

If the initial shot had come back off the goalkeeper to Jelavic then IMO he should be given offside (if the officials spotted it). I don't think there's a difference with this.

Wasn't a rebound, though, was a clearance by the opposition. Surely two clearly separate phases. Anyway, it's a goal, regardless.