Dogawful Officiating: PL to keep VAR next season (official)

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

29 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Doesn't VAR stand for Video Assistant Referee though ??? So VAR is the other referee and not the technology itself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_assistant_referee

It's how it's used mate, end of the day a ref is judging the replays which is referred to as VAR. The system is not the issue, the refs are.

They could call it anything they like, until our refs are better and the bias toward the scumbag 6 is removed, it'll continue to be flawed.

Edited by Bimpy474

Had a night out after the game so was able to forget about it by 6pm, now woke up hanging and annoyed again. :lol:

What's baffling to me is us as fans can see it, the Palace fans can see it, the neutrals can see it, the players know it but the referees can't. It's a fucking disgrace. If that goal is given we win that game 1-0 as they were fucking shit. When they're sent over to the screen they always overturn decisions. Why? Why can't the on field referee, who is his own person and has his own brain, not look at that and say to the VAR "actually mate I don't think that's a foul, Willock is pushed". 

Cunts. How many times this season, man.

Giving them a mic won’t do anything though. It’s not like he can talk us through the decision yesterday. All they will do is just use the 1 angle that backs them up, or them saying they infer things differently. All of a sudden everyone is pissed off because they have got the decision wrong and doubled down on it. It would be like watching the ex referee on Sky and BT Sports back up his mates, but in real time.

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

It's how it's used mate, end of the day a ref is judging the replays which is referred to as VAR. The system is not the issue, the refs are.

They could call anything they like, until our refs are better and the bias toward the scumbag 6 is removed, it'll continue to be flawed.

But your statement "VAR isn't a thing that decides anything. VAR is just a replay of any given incident ffs." is wrong then. It is the video assistant referee making the decision so it is the VAR deciding it

3 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Sounds good. Do you think Spurs systematically benefit from VAR and refs?

There's always been a bias toward the bigger so called clubs from refs.

Now we all thought VAR would redress that issue, when in fact the same bias is continuing. My hatred of you 6 isn't VAR related really, I just wanted to shoehorn it in somehow.

7 minutes ago, joeyt said:

But your statement "VAR isn't a thing that decides anything. VAR is just a replay of any given incident ffs." is wrong then. It is the video assistant referee making the decision so it is the VAR 

Like I said before, we shouldn't use the term VAR, we should use the name of the ref who is looking at the video replays, as that's the issue.

You can call the system whatever you want, end of the day its a man, either a current or ex on field retired ref who makes the decisions.

My point is you blame the man, not the system.

Edited by Bimpy474

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Giving them a mic won’t do anything though. It’s not like he can talk us through the decision yesterday. All they will do is just use the 1 angle that backs them up, or them saying they infer things differently. All of a sudden everyone is pissed off because they have got the decision wrong and doubled down on it. It would be like watching the ex referee on Sky and BT Sports back up his mates, but in real time.

I'd totally disagree with that.

We would hear why Mason called the ref over to consider ruling it out, and also what bullshit they come up with to justify such a terrible call. 

It would make them consider even calling a ref over to the screen I think, unless they had a total legitimate reason. 

We should be able to hear the discussion in my view. I'd like to know his reasons.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

I don’t even understand why people think he needed to be shown the reverse angle which shows the push.

Lets say he only got the angle he got, let’s say it never showed the push. What does it show? Willock throwing himself at a loose ball and their keeper trying to get to it. So both players are going for a 50/50 ball, neither get to it but there is a clash, a clash that happens after the goal is scored.

Where the fuck is the foul?

I definitely think one angle clearly shows the arm push Willock into the GK (the camera angle they showed on MOTD) but i think (and I'm guessing) they have shown Mason the view from the other side where the push doesn't look as obvious.

A foul was committed on Willock but because the ball went in the net you wouldn't bring it back for a foul (and therefore a penalty), you would just allow the goal

Edited by NUFC

VAR is a farce because of the way its been implemented in England by Mike Riley, it works well everywhere else in Europe including FIFA and UEFA competitions and the MLS (which incidentally Howard Webb implemented VAR in the states and will be taking over from Mike Riley as Chief Refereeing Officer at the end of the season)

MLS have a youtube show called VAR Review where someone goes through and explains the decisions that went to VAR, hopefully Howard Webb will improve VAR next season

28 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Like I said before, we shouldn't use the term VAR, we should use the name of the ref who is looking at the video replays, as that's the issue.

You can call the system whatever you want, end of the day its a man, either a current or ex on field retired ref who makes the decisions.

My point is you blame the man, not the system.

VAR stand for Video Assistant Referee , it's literally the ref who looking at video replays [emoji38]

19 minutes ago, duo said:

Sky sports starting discussing the issue to then break short to get a pointless F1 update.:serious:

They don’t need to discuss it’s all over bbc, Twitter and every other online uk news source this morning.

It’s gonna be hard for EPL to keep ignoring this before long.

3 minutes ago, teohgk said:

VAR stand for Video Assistant Referee , it's literally the ref who looking at video replays [emoji38]

Yeah i know, but sometimes people describe it like it's a being of its own. As if they don't realise it's a ref doing the duty.

What I would say is without VAR we’d probably have lost to City and Wolves. Yesterday was an absolute farce and something needs to be done about the delivery of the system but I can’t help but feel would be just as fucked off if we were back to the heady days of Ageuro standing two yards offside.  The use of VAR in the city game should mitigate some of the conspiracy theory.

4 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Yeah i know, but sometimes people describe it like it's a being of its own. As if they don't realise it's a ref doing the duty.

I imagine it's because most people won't know who the individual person who is on VAR duty so they just refer to it as VAR. I think you're getting annoyed at something that isn't really there

11 hours ago, leffe186 said:

I mean, we did get two goals (rightly) chalked off by VAR today. If they wanted to help us out they could have. Chelsea is another kettle of very pungent fish entirely.

I think I just sort of lump all 6 clubs together as one entity when it comes to things like this. When the ESL contracts were signed and it was put into effect it kind of cemented the fact the little cabal at the top of the tree see themselves as a distinct group. Not even sure it's subconscious either, they acted as a greedy, selfish collective to further their own futures at the expense of the rest of domestic football, don't even think that's up for debate tbh

Not having a pop at you personally obviously :thup:

Just now, joeyt said:

I imagine it's because most people won't know who the individual person who is on VAR duty so they just refer to it as VAR. I think you're getting annoyed at something that isn't really there

No i'm getting annoyed, no more than say you do on the injustice of the decisions going against us. Overall it's frustrating, replays that assist the on field ref should be a really good thing, not the shambles we're seeing. 

As others have said as well, the fault lies with Mike Riley and PGMOL, they're responsible for the implementation of VAR and the training of our refs. And for me that's where the biggest problem lies.

4 minutes ago, midds said:

I think I just sort of lump all 6 clubs together as one entity when it comes to things like this. When the ESL contracts were signed and it was put into effect it kind of cemented the fact the little cabal at the top of the tree see themselves as a distinct group. Not even sure it's subconscious either, they acted as a greedy, selfish collective to further their own futures at the expense of the rest of domestic football, don't even think that's up for debate tbh

Same for me, really like Leffe as a poster.

Is it right that Lee Mason chose what views to show on pitch side screen to support his decision that it was a foul? If that’s so he needs sacked.

If you drag a complete anyone in from the street and ask them to describe what they see, having shown all angles, they would all say that one player was pushed into the other.

It’s really not difficult and that’s without showing that Guita wasn’t getting to the ball or saying 2 players collided, neither got the ball and in F1 speak it was a racing incident. That’s by and by I suppose, ‘cos that’s not why Willock didn’t get his head to the ball.

22 minutes ago, midds said:

17 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Same for me, really like Leffe as a poster.

Yeah I totally get it :lol:. That was my original point though - despite lumping us together for understandable reasons (like the other guys did that I was responding to). On the matter of VAR and reffing it seems clear that certain clubs do get favoured…and I don’t think Spurs is one of them, for the most part. That suggests that there are other financial historical biases at play.