Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I still think VAR could be a good thing but the current system in place is just stupid and illogical.

VAR should be a tool to help the onfield referee, not another referee giving his opinions and muddying the waters trying to guess what the onfield referee might have seen or thought. There shouldn’t be any respect to the original call and onfield referee has to admit if he’s not sure about a decision and head to the video screen where HE makes the decision based on what he’s seeing on the screen. Get rid of the clear and obvious bullshit, it’s just another unnecessary extra layer on decisions when everyone is arguing what it really means.

Edited by Pata

45 minutes ago, Pata said:

I still think VAR could be a good thing but the current system in place is just stupid and illogical.

VAR should be a tool to help the onfield referee, not another referee giving his opinions and muddying the waters trying to guess what the onfield referee might have seen or thought. There shouldn’t be any respect to the original call and onfield referee has to admit if he’s not sure about a decision and head to the video screen where HE makes the decision based on what he’s seeing on the screen. Get rid of the clear and obvious bullshit, it’s just another unnecessary extra layer on decisions when everyone is arguing what it really means.

I agree to a point, it's a hard job refereeing and it should be used a tool to help when it needs to be there for important decisions to be made.

I personally get rid as I don't trust any authorities in football to get it sorted as they are all useless imo.

Edited by El Prontonise

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

For instance, I'm well aware that despite my disdain for it all, it is not going away - so any calls to ditch VAR altogether is a pointless waste of time. 

Good post, although I think this attitude is unnecessarily defeatist. I think the point just needs to keep being hammered - professional football is an entertainment business, VAR makes the product less entertaining.

53 minutes ago, Pata said:

The way they've chosen to implement it is bizarre, that much is true. Would make more sense to just strap a tablet to the referees chest and let him view replays of incidents he wants to double check with extra perspectives.

Also wouldn’t mind an automatic review by the onfield referee on every penalty and red card. Would get rid of penalties like the Rashford one where there’s a small contact but not enough for a penalty but the contact means VAR never turns the call. VAR wouldn’t give a penalty for it so it’s just stupid that they respect the original call so much that they still don’t overturn it.

The hassle after such big calls always takes time anyway so it wouldn’t even slow down the game at all.

Edited by Pata

If we are to continue with var.

I think you need give challenge to each team so that if they are so incensed by a decision that they csn force the ref to see it again and have it on screen in the stadium.  That would embarrass the refs and var into making the correct decision.

Edited by El Prontonise

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

This applies to so many things within sport like.

Look at the Usyk vs Dubois fight last night, Usyk has his belt pulled above his naval all fight and gets dropped with a bodyshot which was called low.

It's an outrageous decision, everyone 'knows' it's an outrageous decision (just type "best boxing bodyshots" into Youtube and see countless punches hitting the same area). But then that's not entirely true, because where there is a slight amount of ambiguity (which there was there) people just get let off the hook and we continue to watch it. If you can give even the slightest argument that a decision might not have been awful, or corrupt, the weight of any ire towards it loses all of it's power.

I gotta be honest, I walked away from Boxing a few years ago and I haven't missed it a bit.

31 minutes ago, Pata said:

Also wouldn’t mind an automatic review by the onfield referee on every penalty and red card. Would get rid of penalties like the Rashford one where there’s a small contact but not enough for a penalty but the contact means VAR never turns the call. VAR wouldn’t give a penalty for it so it’s just stupid that they respect the original call so much that they still don’t overturn it.

The hassle after such big calls always takes time anyway so it wouldn’t even slow down the game at all.

I thought it was reviewed by VAR?

40 minutes ago, Pata said:

I know I'm always anti-VAR but honestly I don't actually mind the concept of double-checking really significant calls. It could've been a valid and positive addition, like goal-line technology was. 

It just needs massively dialled back and applied to fewer incidents which are sensitive to subjectivity. I.e. have it solely for penalty shouts and maybe goals that are disallowed for (non-offside-related) infringements, a la Bruno's first goal in that Leicester game. Challenges that lead to red cards are often far too subjective imo and should be just left alone; was there really an issue with high numbers of harsh reds pre-VAR? Not that I can recall.

It's also crucial that we reduce the amount of voices in the decision-making process, so I actually really like your 'automatic review' idea for those big calls. Stick a screen behind each goal, so there's less theatre as we all watch him/her go to and from the screen. They just double check their decision to give a penalty/disallow a goal; they are the only one who can overturn it - not influenced by any other official; and on we go.

Additionally (and as I've said a few times before), I'd scrap it for offsides absolutely altogether. It is ridiculously pedantic and unnecessary and often stymies the freedom of celebrating. The vast majority of linesmen are capable of flagging something that is offside to the extent that an attacker has an unfair advantage. 

35 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

I think you need give challenge to each team so that if they are so incensed by a decision that they csn force the ref to see it again and have it on screen in the stadium.  That would embarrass the refs and var into making the correct decision.

I also think this would be far preferable to the current system. Let the benches dictate how much or how little VAR is applied. 

6 hours ago, El Prontonise said:

Can you imagine how incredibly stubborn they would be to not change their decision at Old Trafford if that was the case? :lol:

4 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Surely Trent should have been sent off today?

Haven't seen it back but live it looked like a clear yellow card

Two clear yellows, it was as simple as it gets as he wasn't attempting to get the ball, just Gordon with an arm across the face. The referee knew it too.

Edited by 80

1 minute ago, El Prontonise said:

That's why I think it could be a good idea because it would make them all even more ridiculously bad.

But with regards to the Dean comments this week, it would just make the game even worse though? "How dare these cunts think they know the rules better than us?" would be the mind set from the off and the big teams would get literally every decision 

7 minutes ago, Nobody said:

But with regards to the Dean comments this week, it would just make the game even worse though? "How dare these cunts think they know the rules better than us?" would be the mind set from the off and the big teams would get literally every decision 

That's a fair point, I have no idea how you sort it.

Think it's mad there's no mechanism for the on-field ref himself to say "lads, I'm not sure on this big call, I need to look at it again before I make my mind up on whether it's a penalty or not, get the VT lined up"

I'd give the ref that option before giving it to the benches.

2 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Think it's mad there's no mechanism for the on-field ref himself to say "lads, I'm not sure on this big call, I need to look at it again before I make my mind up on whether it's a penalty or not, get the VT lined up"

I'd give the ref that option before giving it to the benches.

Yeap, it seems they can never do 2 things at once.

Women are right.

2nd foul was a yellow for Trent but he should have given a foul by Gordon which would have prevented him from hoying the ball away and getting the first yellow.

Swings and roundabouts.

12 minutes ago, NUFC said:

2nd foul was a yellow for Trent but he should have given a foul by Gordon which would have prevented him from hoying the ball away and getting the first yellow.

Swings and roundabouts.

Well, that’s not really how dissent works. Of course you’d never get a yellow for complaining or stopping and attack if every decision went perfectly in your favour. Know what you’re saying though.