Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

They've had the off season to sort this shite out and they haven't even been able to go one weekend without (atleast 2) objectively wrong decisions leading to Wolves & Brentford dropping points.

They've stopped Jason Tindall from standing in the technical area, and forced 10 minutes of first half added time, so maybe they feel they've done enough.

Utterly incompetent like.

You can have all the technology in the world, but if the person looking at it is a moron, you're going to have issues.

It's either that, or there is once again, a lack of clear guidance on what a clear and obvious error is. Obviously some cunt, somewhere doesn't understand because that was a blatant a pen as I've ever seen.

The most simple improvement to me seems to be get rid of clear and obvious error. 

Current VAR official decision - "is it understandable that the referee didn't give this penalty?"

New VAR official decision - "was that a penalty or not?"

I get the need to protect the standing of the officials but surely the best way to do that is to get the decisions right. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I’ve seen worse decisions not given (eg nastier challenges in the box) but I don’t think I’ve seen a foul that was as blatant as that, that everyone can agree on, that VAR didn’t ask for the Ref to review. It’s corruption and that’s all it is 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think the apologies actually make it worse, they should just stick by the decisions unless they're going to fix the system. 

We've never even had an apology. Even the one on De Gea which was worse than Onana's. I don't think anything was said.

image.png

Edited by Froggy

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The most simple improvement to me seems to be get rid of clear and obvious error. 

Current VAR official decision - "is it understandable that the referee didn't give this penalty?"

New VAR official decision - "was that a penalty or not?"

I get the need to protect the standing of the officials but surely the best way to do that is to get the decisions right. 

Yep. I’ve said this a million times but the problem in this country has always been that they begin with the premise that the ref on the pitch can’t make a mistake. 

As you say it should be as simple as ‘was that a pen?’ With the benefit of video technology they would get more right than wrong but they tie themselves in knots trying to uphold the infallibility of the on pitch ref.

Imagine being given the gift of video replay to improve the fairness of the game and then looking to over complicate it at every turn. Just disregard the on field decision, look at a couple of angles and make a call that either reenforces or supercedes the on field decision. If both refs go the same way, fine, but the VAR refs are too compromised.

VAR Official looks at decision and asks the question "has he potentially got that wrong"?

If yes clips go to 3 officials who aren't watching the game so don't know the on field decision and are just asked "is that a penalty?", "Is that a red or a yellow?". Majority decision stands. 

Easy. 

"Sorry they got it wrong, so they won't ref next week (but still get paid) and then they'll be back later where no doubt they'll make mistakes again since they have track record of bottling decisive decisions. Thanks for understanding Gary, and congratulations on your 0 points by the way! It's not like you came into this game expecting to get any result anyway, is it hahahahahaha just joshing... " 

Edited by OCK

Any technology that can be used to help officials make the correct decisions, is currently being used to help the officials protect the big 6. Must be a lot of money flowing somewhere.