Dogawful Officiating: PL to keep VAR next season (official)

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

57 minutes ago, Checko said:

For their second goal, Toney wins the intial flick on but he was about 5 yards offside when it was played forward to him, (see 8.10 when the goalie launches it forward), so that shouldn't have stood. Would have been a shame as it was an outrageous finish but still, rulez is rulez.

Screenshot (2).png

Can’t be offside from a goal kick 

Just seen Arsenals winner wow that should 100% be have been given as a handball by Jesus pretty shocking decision in my opinion. Imagine if West Ham had comeback and drawn that decision would have won Arsenal the league. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Checko said:

Ah is that right, for some reason didn't know that

Same for corners and throw-ins, otherwise the defensive line could just stand on the halfway line. Its also why the ref has his stinking arm up in the air. 

image.png.98cc487e198e78ac58a2d0bed4e8822e.png

In fact, I don't want to see anyone posting here unless they've done the FA LAWS OF THE GAME and contacted their local county FA to take the ref course. 

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules

Edited by OCK

8 minutes ago, OCK said:

Same for corners and throw-ins, otherwise the defensive line could just stand on the halfway line. Its also why the ref has his stinking arm up in the air. 

image.png.98cc487e198e78ac58a2d0bed4e8822e.png

In fact, I don't want to see anyone posting here unless they've done the FA LAWS OF THE GAME and contacted their local county FA to take the ref course. 

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules

Yeah I knew about the others, in fact I knew about the goal kicks in the past, but just had a bit of twatbrain thinking 'keeper's booted it forward & he's in a offside position. Bastard.'

No time for proper consideration when there's outrage to be had!

2 hours ago, craigmadge said:

Can’t be offside from a goal kick 

run the line sometimes for the bairns games.

a couple of years ago one of the dads raised his flag for an offside from a throwing!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Erikse said:

That's because you remember all the mistakes and forget about it everytime they overturn something obvious from incorrect to correct. I also don't walk around remembering all the correct things that VAR do, that isn't normal. What is normal is to talk about the mistakes, because every mistake that VAR does gets a bunch of attention. Because of this it feels like there isn't an improvement on the rate of mistakes, but it is. And it's significant.

For example, anytime VAR makes a mistake, it's very rarely the correct decision to begin with anyways (contrary to what you're saying). It's usually because they don't think it's a clear and obvious error. I'm sure you can refer to some instances where they might have overturned a correct decision, but there are not many examples of that. Typically we happen to remember some of the few that actually happened, like the PSG game. We don't remember the all the instances where they overturn something incorrect, which is way more frequent. Because that is an expectation, as it should be.

You have a point, but I think referees are letting more things go because they know the VAR is there.  It's impossible to prove this, but I think it's only human nature that they would ref a game differently with VAR than without. He lets it go and VAR intervenes and chalks it off as a success. What we are also seeing, I believe, is cases where a ref has a gut feeling but lets play go on feeling the VAR has his back, only to be let down by a shocking non-intervention (e.g. the Gordon pen). We then have these pointless "independent panels" who tell everyone there is nothing to see here; we are told arbitrary stats that it is 96% correct (an absurd claim); we have ex-referees tying themselves in knots defending the worst VAR decisions. All of that only undermines VAR and the credibility of those paid off to defend the indefensible, and I think is part of the reason why it isn't getting better.

Edited by ohmelads

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Just seen Arsenals winner wow that should 100% be have been given as a handball by Jesus pretty shocking decision in my opinion. Imagine if West Ham had comeback and drawn that decision would have won Arsenal the league. 

The most hilarious thing is the ref got to see 2/3 takes of it on a screen and still couldn't see it 

Edited by Mikky

According to that article, we're one of the clubs voting to keep VAR. Considering Howe has been pretty explicit that he doesn't like it, I'd be interested to know who is pushing that line.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

If it sparks change, it has to be a positive.

What am I missing from the headling "VAR-less' tables give #AFC (x2) and Wolves #UCL spots" when the article shows Wolves in 13th (up from 14th)? Pure bait?

image.thumb.png.20262152f7fcfa9116ff48166d6f74ac.png

12 minutes ago, Teslact said:

What am I missing from the headling "VAR-less' tables give #AFC (x2) and Wolves #UCL spots" when the article shows Wolves in 13th (up from 14th)? Pure bait?

image.thumb.png.20262152f7fcfa9116ff48166d6f74ac.png

They're being a bit confusing with the headline. Further down they cover what would've happened in prior seasons without VAR, and apparently Wolves would've had Champions' League in 19/20.

17 hours ago, 80 said:

They're being a bit confusing with the headline. Further down they cover what would've happened in prior seasons without VAR, and apparently Wolves would've had Champions' League in 19/20.

Thanks. I wasn't going to read the whole thing as the site was nearly as bad as Ronnie's.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Teslact said:

Thanks. I wasn't going to read the whole thing as the site was nearly as bad as Ronnie's.

I was shocked how the article kept going on and on!

Edited by 80

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Wolves the only club that voted in favour of scrapping VAR

Happy with this.  Var is not the issue.  The quality of implementation is.  The premier league is rich.  I would still love every game to have 3 separate VAR teams.  They can't hear each other.  A decision is only overruled if 2 out of three agree in a time limit.  Human error will always occur.  There will always be disagreements.  So minimise that using consensus.  If you wanted to go mad have 5 teams and 3 must agree.  In reality this will never happen.  There are not enough competent people to do 1 team per game.  But I'm convinced, in my own mind at least, that this would improve accuracy.  It would be a fun exercise. 

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

2 hours ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Happy with this.  Var is not the issue.  The quality of implementation is.  The premier league is rich.  I would still love every game to have 3 separate VAR teams.  They can't hear each other.  A decision is only overruled if 2 out of three agree in a time limit.  Human error will always occur.  There will always be disagreements.  So minimise that using consensus.  If you wanted to go mad have 5 teams and 3 must agree.  In reality this will never happen.  There are not enough competent people to do 1 team per game.  But I'm convinced, in my own mind at least, that this would improve accuracy.  It would be a fun exercise. 

:lol: Round and round we go. 

Disappointed with the outcome. Dunno why I got my hopes up.

2 hours ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Nah, VAR is definitely THE problem. I would absolutely prefer the 82% of decisions being correct with no VAR than 96% with VAR and all the bullshit that comes with it. They've had their fun with it, now lets go back to what worked for 100+ years please.

Var is marmite. I just want to believe it can become better. I get why people hate it though.  They’re/you’re not wrong. My bias is towards accuracy of decisions.  I think we need to feel some pain now to iterate to a place where it 100% improves the game.