Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I'm reading this thread and some articles on the web and I'm not sure whether we're arguing about the same thing [emoji38]

For Chelsea v/s West Ham: I think that VAR was correct to call for a review for a possible foul on the keeper Mendy and it's the ref who seems to have made a wrong/debatable decision. VAR aren't to blame unless they weren't showing the referee a favourable angle.

Us vs Palace: I think VAR are to blame in our case because they only reviewed/ask the ref to review a single incident. If they review both and the goal is still chalked off with no penalty, I wouldn't have any complaints against VAR.

I'm actually in favour of VAR and I think that unless we invent an AI which can take split second decisions and which can "see" everything on the pitch, there will always be wrong/debatable decisions due to human error or interpretation. But I don't think that we should just bin it like some on here :lol:

Edited by DebuchyAndTheBeast

15 minutes ago, DebuchyAndTheBeast said:

I'm reading this thread and some articles on the web and I'm not sure whether we're arguing about the same thing [emoji38]

For Chelsea v/s West Ham: I think that VAR was correct to call for a review for a possible foul on the keeper Mendy and it's the ref who seems to have made a wrong/debatable decision. VAR aren't to blame unless they weren't showing the referee a favourable angle.

Us vs Palace: I think VAR are to blame in our case because they only reviewed/ask the ref to review a single incident. If they review both and the goal is still chalked off with no penalty, I wouldn't have any complaints against VAR.

I'm actually in favour of VAR and I think that unless we invent an AI which can take split second decisions and which can "see" everything on the pitch, there will always be wrong/debatable decisions due to human error or interpretation. But I don't think that we should just bin it like some on here :lol:

I can handle human error. Can you describe the human error that has taken place in this instance? They might not have an all-seeing AI, but they have more than what they asked the ref to review.

15 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

In theory since the ref and VAR missed it, could the Premier League retrospectively give Mitchell a red-card for denying a goalscoring opportunity? I know it's petty as fuck and won't change anything but would something.

Hmm. Interesting. Dunno if the rules changed but it used to be that if the ref included it in his report, it was considered dealt with because the ref had seen it, but if the ref didn't write it up, then it could be altered. 

I don't imagine this isn't in his report. Especially if Mason has helpfully assisted the inexperienced official with how to write up reports.

Edited by Happinesstan

10 minutes ago, Dembacha said:

Not linked to VAR but have just seen that Garth Crooks is having a dig at Neves regarding his post match interview last week. Nice to see. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62789529

Yes, the challenge was high and it was late too, but to say it "nearly broke his leg" is like suggesting a woman is nearly pregnant

[emoji38]

Every challenge ever made on a football pitch has the potential of causing irreparable damage to a another player. A professional footballer has no business being on the pitch if he's not prepared to accept the risks connected with playing the game.

Aye. The risk of a shortened career is one of the justifications for their ridiculous salaries.

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

Crooks is a national treasure like.

Not even sure what to say to the idea there was “normal contact” on Willock like. They’re telling us grass is blue.

At the point where I would full support a fan running onto the pitch and big booting an official like.

TBF. If nothing else happens, I don't think the ref gives a free kick for the push. Not saying that's right, but things like that are often overlooked.

At big tournaments they usually show the VAR room, plenty of people in there in their ref kits. Why can’t they put a camera on the VAR people in PL? We don’t even know if Lee Mason and the other bandits have pants on, like.

VAR panel should be on a live microphone so we can hear how they present the information to the referee. Are they asking the referee to review? Or are they using leading language to sway the referee’s decision? Do they talk to the ref during the review or remain silent?

VAR should be overseen by an independent panel, although I believe the inherit tribal nature of football will make this difficult.

VAR should only be used for off the ball incidents that the referee, assistant referee and forth official have not seen. Such as a player assaulting another playing by raking their studs down the back of their leg. Or if there are several players involved in an incident.

On offsides VAR should be used if the assistant referee missed a clear offside. If VAR tech has to zoom, freeze frame and pixel draw lines based on their own opinion to decide offside then original assistant referee decision stands.

Replays should only be shown in real-time.

VAR should have their own cameras and footage and not rely on BT/SKY feeds.

8 minutes ago, Jinky said:

If VAR can incorrectly reverse a goal, why can't they reverse the result after the match, when they admit it was the wrong decision?

No way you can give us a 1-0 win. Palace would have had to attack and could easily have got an equaliser as the whole momentum of the match can change. Seen it so many times before that teams sit back when they take the lead. 

You could have a better argument that West Ham should get that point as it was in the 90th minute but again would never happen in a million years. It'll be an apology with Mason being dropped for a fortnight and then it'll all go back to normal