Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

10 minutes ago, OCK said:

VAR panel should be on a live microphone so we can hear how they present the information to the referee.

Great idea. No need to mic the ref and risk the kiddies ears when they get called a cunt. But having the command centre in full transparency is probably a good solution, or at least, you would hope, a positive influence.

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Until better tech comes in an easier way to sort offsides would be to judge the call from up to 1-2 frames before the ball is kicked (depending on the video speed), if there’s still any doubt within that timeframe the advantage goes to the defender.

I like this suggestion.

7 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Great idea. No need to mic the ref and risk the kiddies ears when they get called a cunt. But having the command centre in full transparency is probably a good solution, or at least, you would hope, a positive influence.

This is already a thing in other sports right?

IIRC I remember reading they do it in Rugby?

15 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Until better tech comes in an easier way to sort offsides would be to judge the call from up to 1-2 frames before the ball is kicked (depending on the video speed), if there’s still any doubt within that timeframe the advantage goes to the defender.

It's a way of giving the *uncertainty advantage* back to the attacker. Just make it the frame that precedes the one in which contact is visible. I don't think you really need to improve on that.

*Edit: Benefit of the doubt, thicko.

Edited by Happinesstan

2 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

This is already a thing in other sports right?

IIRC I remember reading they do it in Rugby?

It probably is, it's such an obvious thing to do. Although to be fair, I'm thinking of it playing out on TV. Not sure how it would work in the ground with 52000 shouting "Wanker" at the same time.

Think offsides should only be measured from position of the feet as well. 

If an attacker reacts to a pass quicker than a defender and that reaction starts from the same starting point as the defender then why should he be penalised because his head and part of his arm in infront? 

I don't know how Mics would help solve the problem, take for example our goal, surely he will just tell him what we already know he told him about Willock barging into the keeper rather than he was pushed, would only make us more angry and it will be the same decisions.

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I know it wasn't 'offside matters' that caused the most controversy this weekend (seeing as Brighton still won...) but if there's any VAR aspect I wish could be totally scrapped - acknowledging that there's no way it disappears altogether - it would be offsides. I can live with a lino making a bad call but, in any case, the spirit of the rule is to prevent unfair advantages. A player's shoulder being a cat's cockhair beyond another player's shoulder is absolutely no reason to deny a perfectly good goal like Isak's, or innumerable other goals that have been chalked-off due to imperceptible infringements. That's before we get into the clearly flawed and unreliable nature of the technology being used to make these incredibly influential decisions. 

Yes, it is 'foul matters' that have rightly warranted intense scrutiny and criticism this weekend; but it's offsides where its intrusion is the most routine and provides the most consistent examples of why VAR is such a blight on the game. I really wish that was the focus of any lobbying because it's a fundamental thing that can be very easily changed: you just get rid of it. It's a lot harder/impossible to make a fundamental change when you're merely challenging the terrible judgement of officials. I'm glad we're trying to kick up a stink, out of principle, but it's ultimately the wrong fight in the wider VAR debate, imo.

3 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

If an attacker reacts to a pass quicker than a defender and that reaction starts from the same starting point as the defender then why should he be penalised because his head and part of his arm in infront? 

This is something that could be done better by using VAR in a sensible way. If the forward's shoulder is deemed to be offside, and it goes in off the shoulder, it's offside, but if he swivels and volleys it into the top corner then the goal stands.

5 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

And it’s much easier to measure, thus less complain

8 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

What happens if the defender is lying on the ground?

When VAR came in, I was under the assumption that it would only be used for "clear and obvious errors", but that's not how it's being used. 

Awarding a goal despite a subjective "foul" is not a clear and obvious error.  Awarding a goal because someone's toe is ahead of the last man is not a clear and obvious error. Disallowing a goal that is quite clearly onside is a clear and obvious error.

Instead they're convoluting it with the "high bar" rule, deciding when tech can and can't be used, along with introducing ludicrous offside and handball rules. It's all really unnecessary and part of me thinks its by design.

Edited by The Prophet

44 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

agreed.

when a striker wants to keep himself onside he makes sure he's just in front or in line of  the defender to make sure. just because he's then leaning forward getting ready to sprint beyond the defender shouldnt make him offside.

2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

agreed.

when a striker wants to keep himself onside he makes sure he's just in front or in line of  the defender to make sure. just because he's then leaning forward getting ready to sprint beyond the defender shouldnt make him offside.

Which is why I don't get people saying Isak was offside vs Liverpool. His feet was clear distance behind the defender. He's leaning forward because that's the way he wants to go, defenders leaning other way for same reason. And the lines were just made up in any case.

One of the topics a lot of these pundits seem to be missing when talking about how awful VAR is and it needs to be abolished is going back without it would be absolutely horrendous as we’d still have a really low standard of officiating yet zero chance to fix any of the poor decisions. 

Until something is done about the widespread poor standard of refs this will just keep happening regardless of technology. 

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

agreed.

I think I agree. Looking at it from the defenders point of view, if he wants to use the offside trap all he needs to do is lean forward. That seems too easy for me.