Striker Shortlist...

Guest VaVaVoom

Guest Roger Kint

Nicollin confirmed Giroud's release clause is €10m. If Ashley and Dekka had any sense they'd bid on New Year's day.

Why? If they bid before that he could have his medical and be registered for that date. Surely 'sense' would be forward planning.

Guest Roger Kint

Not convinced they'd bid before the window opens.

But your point was 'if they had sense' which clearly isnt the same as what you think they would do......

Guest hatem garrincha

Nicollin confirmed Giroud's release clause is €10m. If Ashley and Dekka had any sense they'd bid on New Year's day.

Giroud wants to make the Euro 2012, I don't think he'll take the risk to quit Montpellier - this window - where he's playing week in, week out and doing the best season of his career.

Giroud wants to make the Euro 2012, I don't think he'll take the risk to quit Montpellier - this window - where he's playing week in, week out and doing the best season of his career.

Agree, unfortunately. Isn't he from Languedoc-Roussillon, as well?

Guest hatem garrincha

I don't know. Before Montpellier, he played for Tours in Division 2.

EDIT : he's from Chambéry, in Rhone-Alpes (wikipedia)

Which is what, around 200 miles (350 km) away..? 

Could be wrong, but I believe there are direct flights from Newcastle to Chambery.  :)

Guest hatem garrincha

Could be wrong, but I believe there are direct flights from Newcastle to Chambery.  :)

Newcastle is very well deserved in that case  :lol: (Chambery as well, I didn't know there was an airport there)

Newcastle is very well deserved in that case  :lol: (Chambery as well, I didn't know there was an airport there)

There is indeed, I skied there about a few years ago. Beautiful place.

That fee is well within our budget like. It's a good price! Howay Ashley, get it sorted (not confident he will though).

This could go into the daft questions thread, but what is the reasoning by release clauses? They seem less common in English football.

In Spain I think they're compulsory by law. In other countries it's more of a device used to entice a player to sign a contract with them knowing that if they play well enough they'll have the freedom to move to a bigger club.

Well surely we bid and agreed a fee with Sochaux for Maiga; so if we really wanted Giroud - we'd be in there? ???

Unless, of course, a couple more scouting trips are required before a firm decision, which i could understand. A lot has been said of the frugality of the board - but there's nothing wrong with being absolutely sure about where you're throwing £10m. Providing we don't get a Roeder/Kuyt situation, of course.