Striker Shortlist...

Guest VaVaVoom

Guest MrSundlofer

Maiga was our main striker target for the January window. We did everything right. But he failed the medical and we didn't want to gamble on him. We knew how we would use him in our formation (in a striker position or a winger) and he had the attributes we looked for, and he wanted to come here. But failed medical and transfer cancelled. He was the "right" player for this club.

I think the management has had a meeting about the "next striker target" and decided they are not sure who it is. They probably have a list of potential strikers but none of them are the "right" player for this window.

The focus is now on to find two defenders. My theory.

Maiga was our main striker target for the January window. We did everything right. But he failed the medical and we didn't want to gamble on him. We knew how we would use him in our formation (in a striker position or a winger) and he had the attributes we looked for, and he wanted to come here. But failed medical and transfer cancelled. He was the "right" player for this club.

I think the management has had a meeting about the "next striker target" and decided they are not sure who it is. They probably have a list of potential strikers but none of them are the "right" player for this window.

But while you work on your mail target, you can scout and research different target IF main target fails.

Its not that hard, still over a month to complete another deal.

Transfers seems to be done in hours at the deadline day anyways.

Guest MrSundlofer

But while you work on your mail target, you can scout and research different target IF main target fails.

Its not that hard, still over a month to complete another deal.

They probably have. As a supporter it's very easy to say - "sign him, scout him, sign him..." , but it's the management and the club who makes the decision to spend millions on a new player. I think they had a plan with Maiga and had scouts watching every move he made over the last 6 months. They knew exactly what kind of player he was. They couldn't know he will fail his medical. I'm sure Maiga, his agent and his club didn't want to say anything about his knee. Almost everything was sorted except the medical.

I'm sure Pardew wants a new striker. But who? The January window is not the best time for a player to "move on"... and clubs don't want to sell their players, and if they do they demand a big fee for them.

We probably have a list of strikers with a price range of £5M-£7M ready to make a bid for. But is it worth it? Can be sign a better player for that amount in the summer?

No doubt Pardew wants a striker but he wants the "right" one for this club and he's not prepared to sign a half-scouted player in this transfer window they are unsure about. However they are probably still looking for one to sign in this window. A player rated £10M+ could be available for a cheaper price and we may be in for him.

We need a striker and we need the "right" one. I agree we should have a second choice ready to bid for.. but is it that it works in the real world? It's not a football manager game, the club don't want to spend money on players they are not sure about and rather wait until the summer. Best, Ameobi, Ba and Ben Arfa can do a decent job the next 6 months.

But in the summer.. A striker must be signed.

New list for jan / feb

1. Shola

2. Besty

3. Lovenpants

4. Sammy

Then we can get someone really good in the summer just like last year.

Well Ben Arfa is our number 10 and his best position is supposedly behind the striker so I guess Ben Arfa should be included in the striker list. I think we'll be using a 4-4-1-1 formation while Ba is away so it's probably Ben Arfa off Shola or Best. Vuckic or Sammy to operate as strikers if required?

Lovenkrands' contract ends in the summer. Xisco still has another season to run on his contract after this one. As current contracts stand, for next season we will have Ba, Best, Shola, Ben Arfa (kind of a striker), Ranger and Xisco.

New list for jan / feb

1. Shola

2. Besty

3. Lovenpants

4. Sammy

Then we can get someone really good in the summer just like last year.

Well Ben Arfa is our number 10 and his best position is supposedly behind the striker so I guess Ben Arfa should be included in the striker list. I think we'll be using a 4-4-1-1 formation while Ba is away so it's probably Ben Arfa off Shola or Best. Vuckic or Sammy to operate as strikers if required?

Lovenkrands' contract ends in the summer. Xisco still has another season to run on his contract after this one. As current contracts stand, for next season we will have Ba, Best, Shola, Ben Arfa (kind of a striker), Ranger and Xisco.

:memelol:

So 12 Months on from selling Carroll, failed promises galore of reinvesting the money into the team, chasing players who never wanted to come, failed / phantom bids for players and you seriously think we had one target lined up and despite everyone claiming he was fit other than us, even an independant medic?

Pardew was apoplectic when the window shut, now we're happy to go with what we've got, fuck off man. 10 points from safety, another Year in the PL, mugs filling the stadium despite changing its name, plastering shite all over it and being treat like mugs, why change when we swallow whatever shite they tell us.

So 12 Months on from selling Carroll, failed promises galore of reinvesting the money into the team, chasing players who never wanted to come, failed / phantom bids for players and you seriously think we had one target lined up and despite everyone claiming he was fit other than us, even an independant medic?

Pardew was apoplectic when the window shut, now we're happy to go with what we've got, fuck off man. 10 points from safety, another Year in the PL, mugs filling the stadium despite changing its name, plastering shite all over it and being treat like mugs, why change when we swallow whatever shite they tell us.

No offence, but you seem like a tosser, We sold a Striker for 35 million who is doing fuck all atm and brought in one for nothing who is 2nd top scorer in the league.

************************************************MACKEM ALERT*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

WARNING THIS IS A MACKEM

Pardew was apoplectic when the window shut, now we're happy to go with what we've got, f*** off man. 10 points from safety, another Year in the PL, mugs filling the stadium despite changing its name, plastering s**** all over it and being treat like mugs, why change when we swallow whatever s**** they tell us.

No offence, but you seem like a tosser, We sold a Striker for 35 million who is doing f*** all atm and brought in one for nothing who is 2nd top scorer in the league.

************************************************MACKEM ALERT*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

WARNING THIS IS A MACKEM

he's not a meackem, he's just one of many that thinks it's a simple idea thatwhatever comes in through transfer fees should be spent on incomings regardless of anything else.

theres loads of them about.

he's not a meackem, he's just one of many that thinks it's a simple idea thatwhatever comes in through transfer fees should be spent on incomings regardless of anything else.

We were close to breaking even before selling Carroll, why shouldn't we spend it on incoming transfers?

We were close to breaking even before selling Carroll, why shouldn't we spend it on incoming transfers?

because i'm guessing the wage bill has gone up and there is no time limit on when we have to spend it by, unless you want to spend it on players we haven't properly checked out for the sake of getting someone in now ?

No offence, but you seem like a tosser, We sold a Striker for 35 million who is doing fuck all atm and brought in one for nothing who is 2nd top scorer in the league.

WARNING THIS IS A MACKEM

What a rubbish post. Come on man, you can do better than that.

because i'm guessing the wage bill has gone up and there is no time limit on when we have to spend it by, unless you want to spend it on players we haven't properly checked out for the sake of getting someone in now ?

In January we wouldn't have had any prize money from the Premiership so that income will have gone some way to covering additions wages which will have also been partially covered by losing the wages of Carroll, Routledge, Enrique, Nolan and Barton.

As for checking out players, how long does that take and can we only do one player at a time?

In January we wouldn't have had any prize money from the Premiership so that income will have gone some way to covering additions wages which will have also been partially covered by losing the wages of Carroll, Routledge, Enrique, Nolan and Barton.

As for checking out players, how long does that take and can we only do one player at a time?

just going off that i read the wage bill had gone up 6 or 7%. it'll be in the accounts either way.

also, probabaly don't do one player at a time but maybe priorities have changed and a centre half is now seen as a priority and that changes the finacial possibilities for a forward.

just going off that i read the wage bill had gone up 6 or 7%. it'll be in the accounts either way.

also, probabaly don't do one player at a time but maybe priorities have changed and a centre half is now seen as a priority and that changes the finacial possibilities for a forward.

We've got as many fit defenders today as we had at the end of the last transfer window.  Williamson has returned to fitness while Taylor has dropped out.  What we do know now is that we have 1 forward who is scoring goals regularly and he's going off on holiday soon. 

Guest MrSundlofer

...and you seriously think we had one target lined up and despite everyone claiming he was fit other than us, even an independant medic?

Pardew was apoplectic when the window shut, now we're happy to go with what we've got, f*** off man.

Who claimed he was fit?

His agent:

Modibo is in perfect physical condition, which was confirmed by one of the leading experts in the field”

The player:

"Hopefully I will have another chance. My health is very good and my knees are strong."

"However it did not happen as they said my knee has a problem, but I feel better than anything."

What should they say?  :lol: ...They can't tell the media he has injury problems - in that way  he never gets the dream move he wants. They said the exact words needed to be said after he failed the medical at Newcastle. He probably is fit, but has some sort of problem with his knee - that's why we cancelled the deal.

Happy to go with what we got? Yes? Or no... We should have signed a striker in this transfer window but Pardew say we won't after we cancelled the deal with Maiga and I suppose they don't have any striker on their radar right now, so what should I do? I'm delighted with Ba and Ben Arfa... and then we have Best, Ameobi and Lovenkrands. Hopefully they can keep scouting and find the "right" player in the summer. They must.

The strikers we are looking for is unavailable in this transfer window. Why should we sign the eight choice when we could sign the first or second choice in the summer? So many things in football happening we have no idea. Agents, unrealistic football values...

It's important to sign 1-2 defenders now. Very important.

It's also important to have faith in the current team and support them despite all evil things Mike Ashley do to this club!

We've got as many fit defenders today as we had at the end of the last transfer window.  Williamson has returned to fitness while Taylor has dropped out.  What we do know now is that we have 1 forward who is scoring goals regularly and he's going off on holiday soon. 

beyond the two that are there we have nothing with taylor out all season plus i never thought williamson would be out so long (and i'm personally not totally sold on williamson)

beyond the two that are there we have nothing with taylor out all season plus i never thought williamson would be out so long (and i'm personally not totally sold on williamson)

Beyond Williamson we do have something, we just have a manager who'll not use them.  Williamson has missed almost half of a season and he may or may not do a job, the same could have been said about Taylor at the start of the season regarding how he would cope.

Not only that, but he's going to be out of our control. If he gets injured training or playing for us, then that's one thing. But we're basically going to be crossing our fingers and hoping not only do the Senegal coaching/medical staff take the same care we have done over things, but also that no amateur from Equatorial Guinea, Libya, Zambia or others (no offence intended) crocks him. Will it really be such a surprise if he comes back injured?

Our next top scorer in the league is Leon Best with three. Then it's Ryan Taylor with two, and nobody else has more than one. How anyone can say we don't need to sign another goalscorer is beyond me.

Not only that, but he's going to be out of our control. If he gets injured training or playing for us, then that's one thing. But we're basically going to be crossing our fingers and hoping not only do the Senegal coaching/medical staff take the same care we have done over things, but also that no amateur from Equatorial Guinea, Libya, Zambia or others (no offence intended) crocks him. Will it really be such a surprise if he comes back injured?

Our next top scorer in the league is Leon Best with three. Then it's Ryan Taylor with two, and nobody else has more than one. How anyone can say we don't need to sign another goalscorer is beyond me.

I agree with all of that, I also agree that we need a defender but we know for a fact that our top goal scorer is leaving the club very soon for an unknown number of games even if he returns fit, we don't know that we're going to lose a defender.

With Smith and Loven off the bill that should pay for a decent striker!

:lol:

By all accounts Smith earns more than we pay anyone new to the club. Lovenkrands probably earns less than Nile Ranger, that's why he's here.

Take Ba's point scoring goals out of our games and we're 5 points off relegation by my calculations  That's without looking at what losing him would have done to boost the oppositions points if they had gained more by us dropping them.