Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

" Party in our half"

:mackems:

I nominate this as the title of the nufc season review DVD.

I remember our narrow wins early this season, where we were getting battered for long patches. After the game Pardew was over the moon,  seems like he doesnt mind if the other team completely controls the game as long as we are compact and pull off a sneaky 1-0 win.

The problem is, that strategy is more likely to cause a few in the back of kruls net, since we dont have Mourinhos Inter back-4...

It's less likely to concede goals than any other strategy tbqh.  You're wrong there.

The problem with Pardew is his application of strategies.  Sometimes it is far more beneficial to go out and press the opponents into their own half and assert a dominance over the game.  The Wolves game springs to mind immediately. 

Guest Deadmau5

" Party in our half"

:mackems:

I nominate this as the title of the nufc season review DVD.

I remember our narrow wins early this season, where we were getting battered for long patches. After the game Pardew was over the moon,  seems like he doesnt mind if the other team completely controls the game as long as we are compact and pull off a sneaky 1-0 win.

The problem is, that strategy is more likely to cause a few in the back of kruls net, since we dont have Mourinhos Inter back-4...

It's less likely to concede goals than any other strategy tbqh.  You're wrong there.

Well, setting us up to defend is obviously going to make us harder to break down, but when Coloccini has to guys to his right who cant play fotball we are going to concede anyway.

So what are you suggesting, we take a less defensive approach, which will further expose their deficiencies?  Just go for lots of goals in the hope that we somehow manage to score more than we concede?  We certainly don't have the players to play a dominant control game fwiw.

Guest Deadmau5

So what are you suggesting, we take a less defensive approach, which will further expose their deficiencies?  Just go for lots of goals in the hope that we somehow manage to score more than we concede?  We certainly don't have the players to play a dominant control game fwiw.

That is precisely what I am saying. Every team in this league bar a few has a few weak positions, we are not unique in that respect.  You relieve them of pressure by taking the game to further up the pitch, not by making that very position a last stand where you pull down wingers to fortify it.  Simpson and Raylor are going to bottle it vs good wingers anyway, regardless.By dropping your midfield wingers deep,  you are instantly creating pressure by letting their wingbacks worry about nothing. They arent going to stay deep their half for no reason you know?

Guest Deadmau5

We certainly don't have the players to play a dominant control game fwiw.

Also, jesus christ. Very depressing view and I wholeheartedly disagree with it.

This is the kind of defeatist attitude that gives us 2-2 draws at home vs wolves.

Seems absolutely bloody obvious to me that if you've got a weakish defence, the best solution is to keep the ball at the other end of the field.

The best two Newcastle teams in my lifetime have been exactly as the above too.

Seems absolutely bloody obvious to me that if you've got a weakish defence, the best solution is to keep the ball at the other end of the field.

The best two Newcastle teams in my lifetime have been exactly as the above too.

sort of what I've been trying to get at, especially against weaker teams at home.

We certainly don't have the players to play a dominant control game fwiw.

Also, jesus christ. Very depressing view and I wholeheartedly disagree with it.

This is the kind of defeatist attitude that gives us 2-2 draws at home vs wolves.

Should have said in most games.  We do  have a squad capable of pressing teams like Wolves - who are relegation fodder.  Even then, we still have to ensure that we counter any of their threats.

Depends what you mean by a myth. It was clearly weak relative to the rest of the side, as this one is, and if we'd played a game that invited pressure onto it, as we do now, it would have been exposed a lot more.

Guest mimifrench

Don't expect anything from him tomorrow... He scored on Monday, so think he'll be pretty anonymous against Norwich. Hope not but...

Don't expect anything from him tomorrow... He scored on Monday, so think he'll be pretty anonymous against Norwich. Hope not but...

You reckon he's a world beater - but also think he cannot string 2 good games togther - I don't get it

Guest mimifrench

But what ? I think if he plays, he''ll take the game by storm.

It's just that he always does that! You know making a good game and after he's silent, against a lower team...

Of course, really hope he'll start and rape them!  :snod:

It's just that he always does that! You know making a good game and after he's silent, against a lower team...

:lol:

The weak defence in the 1990s thing is a total myth, isn't it?

yes it is. Keegans team actually had a very good defensive record and when Man Utd pipped us to the title there wasn't a lot in it in terms of GD.

EDIT We only conceded 4 more Goals than man utd did.

Final Table  Full  Home  Away       

P  W D L F A  W D L F A  W D L F A  GD Pt   

1 Manchester United 38  25 7 6 73 35  15 4 0 36 9  10 3 6 37 26  +38 82 

2 Newcastle United 38  24 6 8 66 37  17 1 1 38 9  7 5 7 28 28  +29 78 

3 Liverpool 38  20 11 7 70 34  14 4 1 46 13  6 7 6 24 21  +36 71 

4 Aston Villa 38  18 9 11 52 35  11 5 3 32 15  7 4 8 20 20  +17 63 

5 Arsenal 38  17 12 9 49 32  10 7 2 30 16  7 5 7 19 16  +17 63 

You also said that started to change towards the the end of his time at Marseille, with his increasing fitness and new found maturity he will do well tomorrow, i think he has shown even in his limited appearences he can be very productive.

Guest mimifrench

You also said that started to change towards the the end of his time at Marseille, with his increasing fitness and new found maturity he will do well tomorrow, i think he has shown even in his limited appearences he can be very productive.

Yes it's true. Now, if he keeps increasing fitness and working hard, no way he won't succeed. Plus, he's starting to be more productive, scored even 4 goals without playing a big amount of time!

Now, he just need to show what he's really capable of! Trust me he can be much more better than he's actually. He's just so frustrating as a player! :lol:

Perfectly know he could win tomorrow's game by himself but there is a gap between what he could do and the reality....

By the way, didn't NUFC lose against Norwich in the beginning of the season? 

The weak defence in the 1990s thing is a total myth, isn't it?

yes it is. Keegans team actually had a very good defensive record and when Man Utd pipped us to the title there wasn't a lot in it in terms of GD.

EDIT We only conceded 4 more Goals than man utd did.

Final Table  Full  Home  Away       

P  W D L F A  W D L F A  W D L F A  GD Pt   

1 Manchester United 38  25 7 6 73 35  15 4 0 36 9  10 3 6 37 26  +38 82 

2 Newcastle United 38  24 6 8 66 37  17 1 1 38 9  7 5 7 28 28  +29 78 

3 Liverpool 38  20 11 7 70 34  14 4 1 46 13  6 7 6 24 21  +36 71 

4 Aston Villa 38  18 9 11 52 35  11 5 3 32 15  7 4 8 20 20  +17 63 

5 Arsenal 38  17 12 9 49 32  10 7 2 30 16  7 5 7 19 16  +17 63 

you'd be surprised how many people believe those myths though, colo's crap, alan smith was great in our promotion season, we play hoof ball all the time, we always play a high line, we were mad to sell kevin nolan. thats just about our club, think how many there are about clubs we don't know so well.