Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

'He has to learn the culture of the game. We don't want him to defend all the time. His main job is to create, but there are times when we need him to help out.' - Robson on Robert, April 2002.

And before people start, I've never seen anywhere where Pardew has said he wants HBA to "defend all the time" either.

i'm just thinking of better more effective players who worked that way and fwiw it's exactly what ben arfa done at man citeh. no-one as far as i'm awars is asking him to double up with simpson (not that he should be wide right) every time they get the ball out that side but the best teams defend through the whole XI, why shouldn't we ?

Ben Arfa has tracked back whenever he's played, he's being asked to do more.  I'm not suggesting that he should never track back.  I would just prefer him to be employed forward as much as possible and I don't want him standing on the edge of the box, like he was when he played a ball to Simpson and then picked it back up from him.

it's not tracking back necessarily it's just working when we don't have the ball. don't think anyone expects him to be a jonas that way but theres no reason why he can't do a bit more, like he did at man citeh.

be interesting on sunday, should be his first start at home since he really looked the part, quite excited about it.

In theory you can look at it as though we've nowt to play for the rest of the season therefore we should be picking our team as entertaining as it gets and with light shining on whats going to happen next season therefore start him every game if he's not injured.

This one:

Don't have my copy up here with me, but I think he said something like this:

"I cornered Laurent more than any other player I've worked with; in the dressing room, on the training ground and in the boardroom twice. We'd ask him again and again, 'do you understand your defensive responsibilities?'"

That doesn't really narrow it down, what was it called?

In theory you can look at it as though we've nowt to play for the rest of the season therefore we should be picking our team as entertaining as it gets and with light shining on whats going to happen next season therefore start him every game if he's not injured.

i think he will, don't think wide right will get the best from him though.

'He has to learn the culture of the game. We don't want him to defend all the time. His main job is to create, but there are times when we need him to help out.' - Robson on Robert, April 2002.

And before people start, I've never seen anywhere where Pardew has said he wants HBA to "defend all the time" either.

Has anybody claimed that Pardew has asked him to defend all of the time?

some seem to be trying to make it appear that way.

No but I know what this forum's like. :lol:

i think he will, don't think wide right will get the best from him though.

Can't see him playing anywhere else given our personel unless we revert to outside wingers and swap Jonas.

Cisse is another one, regardless of how poor/uninvolved he might be needs minutes this season to get up to speed to hit the ground running next season.

Robson was constantly having a go at Robert for not tracking back.

Did he drop him for it?

putting everything together i'm not sure ben arfa has been dropped for not tracking back.

So why was he dropped then in favor of the likes of Obertan and Raylor?

Robson was constantly having a go at Robert for not tracking back.

Did he drop him for it?

putting everything together i'm not sure ben arfa has been dropped for not tracking back.

So why was he dropped then in favor of the likes of Obertan and Raylor?

did he ever start consistently enough to consider himself dropped?

Alpal, judging by his recent performances and interview Mayne he just wasn't right, physicallu or mentally. Yes even in that state he'd ne better than those two but it could be creating bigger problems for later. Not saying that's how it was, just putting some things together to see what comes up.

Guest Deadmau5

Alpal, judging by his recent performances and interview Mayne he just wasn't right, physicallu or mentally. Yes even in that state he'd ne better than those two but it could be creating bigger problems for later. Not saying that's how it was, just putting some things together to see what comes up.

Whatever he was going through, starting Obertan over him every week and letting him rot on the bench was not the right solution. When has that ever sorted a fotballer? Luckily he held his tongue and got back into pardews good books.

Guest Deadmau5

" Party in our half"

:mackems:

I nominate this as the title of the nufc season review DVD.

I remember our narrow wins early this season, where we were getting battered for long patches. After the game Pardew was over the moon,  seems like he doesnt mind if the other team completely controls the game as long as we are compact and pull off a sneaky 1-0 win.

The problem is, that strategy is more likely to cause a few in the back of kruls net, since we dont have Mourinhos Inter back-4...