Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

i was thinking that but after reading snippets from an interview with ben arfa saying his head wasn't right and how much sharper he looks now, i'm not so sure. can anyone link to the interview btw, i can't remember if it was in quotes or from pardew or whatever, it was while i was at work very early in the morning but made me put my thoughts on the matter on hold a bit.

“When I came back after my injury, I no longer had the desire to play,” he continued. “I found that the football they played was too far away from the one I loved."

I know how he feels.

yet now he has the desire back ?

we all know he means football in general.

He needed games, you'll understand that if you've been on the sick for a while and have had loads of time on your hands to vegetate.  The longest sick note I’ve had was for 3 weeks and I went back to work in half that time because I was crawling up the walls with boredom.

How do we all know that he means football in general?  Even if he did mean football in general, the football we have been playing was/is hardly likely to reignite his feelings for the game in a positive manner.

He needed games, you'll understand that if you've been on the sick for a while and have had loads of time on your hands to vegetate.  The longest sick note I’ve had was for 3 weeks and I went back to work in half that time because I was crawling up the walls with boredom.

How do we all know that he means football in general?  Even if he did mean football in general, the football we have been playing was/is hardly likely to reignite his feelings for the game in a positive manner.

i've had 3 month spells off (cracked ribs and broken bone in my hand) and i wasn't crawling the walls.

we don't know what he needed, i'm merely putting out there that he said his head wasn't right and he's been much sharper since. i don't know, maybe if they'd played him more he'd have been back to his best earlier. i'm not as sure as i was when i wanted him played as soon as he was able though.

looking forward to watching him sunday though!

i've had 3 month spells off (cracked ribs and broken bone in my hand) and i wasn't crawling the walls.

we don't know what he needed, i'm merely putting out there that he said his head wasn't right and he's been much sharper since. i don't know, maybe if they'd played him more he'd have been back to his best earlier. i'm not as sure as i was when i wanted him played as soon as he was able though.

He looked fit earlier when playing but was let down by his ball control when on the move and that comes with playing games and it was about him regaining sharpness as much as anything.  You can train all you want but you can't become 100% ready by training alone.

As for Sunday, I'll be away as I had booked a holiday before the game was moved and I thought that I would be safe going on Saturday Evening, I'll have to settle on watching it in a pub.

He looked fit earlier when playing but was let down by his ball control when on the move and that comes with playing games and it was about him regaining sharpness as much as anything.  You can train all you want but you can't become 100% ready by training alone.

As for Sunday, I'll be away as I had booked a holiday before the game was moved and I thought that I would be safe going on Saturday Evening, I'll have to settle on watching it in a pub.

he looked fit, but is that match fit ? . he's looked so much sharper the last couple, is it possible the problem was as much psychological as physical, that interview would suggest so and I don't get the training alone bit ?

Pleased you'rre away actually as I wont be looking round the bar at half time wondering if I have to buy you a beer for the bet I lost.

he looked fit, but is that match fit ? . he's looked so much sharper the last couple, is it possible the problem was as much psychological as physical, that interview would suggest so and I don't get the training alone bit ?

Pleased you'rre away actually as I wont be looking round the bar at half time wondering if I have to buy you a beer for the bet I lost.

He looked physically fit, not match fit and he's starting to look more match fit the more he plays.  As for his head, I do remember watching him warming up and looking quite pissed off when Sammy came on before him.  None of us know what was going on inside his head but he did look hungry to play.

By training alone, I meant training on its own rather than him training on his own.

Ive noticed a lot of the local Journo's who were giving him a lot of stick earlier in the season are starting to praise him in every article. Douglas and Ryder being the main two culprits. Wankers.

Whats the name of the guy on Total Sport who gives him a hard time too, John Anderson? Wonder if he will change his tune after a couple of more decent performances.

Ive noticed a lot of the local Journo's who were giving him a lot of stick earlier in the season are starting to praise him in every article. Douglas and Ryder being the main two culprits. Wankers.

Whats the name of the guy on Total Sport who gives him a hard time too, John Anderson? Wonder if he will change his tune after a couple of more decent performances.

Ryder and Douglas are clueless mate, who cares?

Not sure Anderson is positive about anyone or anything?  He's so depressing  :lol:

Mark Douglas‏@MsiDouglas

Following up HBA stuff... The guy has made me a believer. I was sceptical but you can't argue with his impact when he plays. Must start Sun

@MsiDouglas with respect, you obviously weren't looking hard enough. I'm glad you're behind him now though.

@Jack_Is_Sound Seen him have a few pretty anonymous games too....

He always fails to miss the point does Douglas  :lol:

Like I said elsewhere, I no longer pay much attention to him since he said Williamson is better as a replacement for Colo than Taylor, as he was more similar.

He was being a right attention seeker after Messi scored 5 the other week and all.  Again massively missed the point when he was comparing #thespecialone and Barca.

He should stick to talking about Bradford and Basketball.

Douglas really is clueless on actual footballing topics. Think I remember him saying a few weeks back that Williamson is being harshly treated as he isn't a like-for-like replacement for Steven Taylor and would be more suited to covering for Colo. :anguish: :suicide:

Anyone ever watched one of Lee Ryder's videos on the Chronicle site?  Jesus christ, had the misfortune of doing it the other day, if you're having trouble sleeping seek one out.

The one of his reaction to Gary Speed's passing where he'd made his wife film him in their house.  :anguish:

"So... er... Lee..."

Boss Encouraged By Ben Arfa 'Diligence'

Alan Pardew believes Hatem Ben Arfa is starting to show a greater "diligence" in his defensive duties - and is full of praise for the way the Frenchman has began to adjust his game for the good of the team.

Since scoring a stunning goal on his debut at Everton last season, the gifted number ten has proved that he has the ability to be a key player for Newcastle, but Pardew has struggled to fit him into his formation at times.

However, he handed Ben Arfa a start at Arsenal on Monday and the former Marseille man responded with his fourth strike of the season and a disciplined, hard-working display on the right-hand side of midfield.

That pleased his manager, who knows that he has a potential match-winner in the 25-year-old France international, and could see him stay in the team against Norwich this weekend even if Papiss Cisse is recalled.

"I think for the first time, against Arsenal he showed a real diligence," said Pardew.

"Forget about the goal because it's almost like we expect that from Hatem - he's going to produce a moment of magic for us.

"But the structure of our team needs to be strong. We're not a dominant force; Hatem possibly wouldn't need to work so hard if he was at Man United, but in our team he does.

"He's understood that, and his performance at Arsenal was one of his best in terms of his diligence for the team.

"He understands that the team comes first and I can't speak highly enough for him where he is at the minute. He's one of our form players."

:lol:

Take it away boys

Douglas is another fine example why i consider fans on average to have more knowledge on the game than the media.

Almost every single person the covers the media in the country seems to have little to no clue what so ever.

I would say fans have more clue on their own club. Tbf to Douglas , he isn't a Newcastle fan.

Guest mimifrench

I think it speaks volumes about Hatem's maturity that he's able to go against what he's used to for the good of the team. Would he have done that a few years ago?

Certainly not a few years ago...

Agree he's becoming more mature. Really think he wants to succeed in NUFC and he knows if he doesn't succeed in here he won't anywhere then!

His "ego" will probaly save him from failure because he wants to reward the club for all they've done for him (fans included of course).

Good to see Pardew's comment too, hope he'll give him confidence and will reward Hatem for his goal against Arsenal.

But with Pardew, one never knows... :lol:

Guest mimifrench

Just seen "Ben Harfa vs Arsenal 12-03-2012 by is7productions" video on YT.

Some nice touch against Arsenal indeed, but still needs to improve his defensive abilities...

That defense against Gibbs and Van Persie :lol: