Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Haven't seen enough from Marveaux to have a valid opinion of whether he could play as part of a front 3. From what I have seen he certainly looks very technical, but looks like he might be better suited to sitting a little deeper and pulling the strings.

Both could play the role from a deeper starting point.

I don't think a wide forward/winger role suits Marveaux tbh, he strikes me as a wide midfielder more than anything.

Interesting comment from Beardsley but I don't think they're really comparable players. HBA is a forward, Marveaux is a midfielder and they have different skill sets.

HBA is up there with Beardsley and first six months Ginola for getting fans off their seats. Robert just behind.

Haven't seen enough of Beardsley at least not live in St James, but does he really dribble like HBA on a consistent basis?

Guest BooBoo

Beardsley wasn't as fast as HBA but had incredible close control and was a much bigger goal threat as he could shoot with accuracy from anywhere. Basically, the most complete second striker I've seen in the shirt.

HBA is up there with Beardsley and first six months Ginola for getting fans off their seats. Robert just behind.

Haven't seen enough of Beardsley at least not live in St James, but does he really dribble like HBA on a consistent basis?

Yes, mainly in his pants these days

Guest ThievingMagpie

Beardsley wasn't as fast as HBA but had incredible close control and was a much bigger goal threat as he could shoot with accuracy from anywhere. Basically, the most complete second striker I've seen in the shirt.

Ben Arfa is a better creator while Beardsley was the better finisher imo, both could take games and win them but Beardsley edges it for me imo, not as good a dribbler but had amazing control and his long shots are something even Alan Shearer would be green with envy over.

I don't think a wide forward/winger role suits Marveaux tbh, he strikes me as a wide midfielder more than anything.

Interesting comment from Beardsley but I don't think they're really comparable players. HBA is a forward, Marveaux is a midfielder and they have different skill sets.

Some good posts last two pages :thup: Yorkie refreshed my memory of that shoulder drop turn - remarkable how in the first game back with everyone looking a tiny bit rusty ben arfa still had 4 or 5 mouth-watering moments of class, a couple that ended up contributing to goals.

As for Marveaux - I don't think he's quite explosive enough for a wide striking role - however you look at Mata and Silva (or even Nasri) and at times they have played as part of a front 3 in a nominally wide role where they drift around and drop back a bit to act more as final-third playmakers. I see Marveaux as more that kind of player than a Ben Arfa or Podolski style wide forward who might be more about tricks, pace or directness.

Ben Arfa and Beardsley are quite different so pretty incomparable, but they are definitely the two most naturally gifted players I've ever seen at NUFC.  Both can (or could in Pedro's case) just go past players like they're not even there with incredible close control.  Such a privilege watching Ben Arfa play the game just as it was with Beardsley, we're fortunate.

Yes, mainly in his pants these days

nice

It's really difficult to pinpoint a 'most important player' in this team. We've got three out-and-out matchwinners, and i'd say that losing any of them would be a severe dent to any Champions League ambitions. The likes of Tiote and Coloccini are also absolutely vital, as is Cabaye. But so long as that front three is fit and firing, there's a chance we could win any game - regardless of the eight players supporting them imo. We proved that yesterday in the absence of Colo.

I agree about pinpointing most important players being stupid but I think the link between getting to CL football sometimes requires an attacking player that is really rare. Someone who drives the team towards seemingly unlikely victories. I think HBA is capable of that in the way that his individual talent can win matches in a way others maybe can't