Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

If he doesn't get injured this season and plays most games, we are going to witness some pretty amazing football from this kid.

Have only jumped online and have been skimming through the threads so I haven't read too far back in this one (so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned) but his cheeky back heel to Cabaye in the lead up to the goal was just incredible, took three Spurs men right out of the game in one action.  :love:

Didn't think we looked brilliant yesterday but probably shaded it overall, but when we click into gear, we're gonna kill some teams this season.

That 1-2 with Cabaye was probably our best piece of football during the game. Didn't really appreciate it at the time until I saw MotD. Cabaye was off the boil and didn't dictate enough of the passing. But in Cabaye and Dembas, and especially the man of this thread, we have players who can make something happen whilst being shit for the rest of the game.

Love how happy he looked at the weekend, he can at times put on a bit of a moody act (Everton goal being a good example), but he was absolutely buzzing after both goals on Saturday.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8302/7810988958_649a9c6a63_z.jpg  http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8282/7810977852_658a51e068_z.jpg

:aww:

I'm fairly sure he's the best i've ever seen for us with my own eyes. Absolutely brilliant footballer; it's hilarious how the volume of the crowd increases whenever he touches the ball. Even in his own half.

I think it got mentioned elsewhere, but he made this move midway through the first half. He cut in from the right, midpoint in Spurs' half. He slowed a bit, then instead of continuing inside, with one touch he changed direction and wrong-footed about three Spurs players. Then proceeded to gallop towards the box with no one on him. It wasn't even a piece of trickery; just the eyes, a drop of the shoulder, and a burst of pace. Clever stuff.

How many Newcastle footballers can do that? I can't think of any, in my time watching football (which isn't that long, granted), who can completely own a collection of defenders with such speed and panache - so frequently too. It seems every single game now, at some/various points, i turn to the fella sat next to me and say "he's fucking quality, isn't he."

Wonderful, wonderful footballer. Delighted that he's ours. And by fuck, he works hard too; Pardew's made a masterpiece out of him in this set-up. Hats off to the manager.

Beardsley was the only other one I can recall that was as elusive on the ball.

Good post in any case Yorkie. We need to be building our team and system around this guy, playing him on the right in a 4-4-2 isn't going to get the best out of him.

Good post in any case Yorkie. We need to be building our team and system around this guy, playing him on the right in a 4-4-2 isn't going to get the best out of him.

Beardsley in his talk in said he thinks Marv is just as good as Ben Arfa. In training hard to split them, both have their days.

Beardsley in his talk in said he thinks Marv is just as good as Ben Arfa. In training hard to split them, both have their days.

Nice to hear but they're very different players. Ben Arfa is just a tank at running at people and moving forward with the ball. Marv releases it much earlier but with really precise passes, his movement is superb and he has incredible touch. while he doesn't have the pace and dribble technique of Ben Arfa he probably has the best technique after Ben Arfa in our squad

Hadn't heard that cheers. :thup:

That'd be mint like, would love to see Marveaux and Ben Arfa either side of Cisse at some point.

To me comparing the two players, Marveaux remind me more of Silva while Ben Arfa reminds me of some ridiculous mix of Robben and Ribery.

Not to say they are as good as them but in style that's who they remind me of, both are class but for different reasons.

Just hope Marv can stay fit, Marv and HBA running at teams would be ridiculous.

Guest firetotheworks

Beardsley and Ginola could, although that wasn't really Beardsley's main strength and Ginola didn't do it for as long or as on the same scale as Ben Arfa.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't know why that Taylor and Ba photo hasn't had more of a reaction like. It's proper hilarious.

I think because of HBA and Marvaux we are not is such a hurry for another striker. Both could play in a front 3 IMO.

I would agree if Ba and Cisse didn't piss off to Africa most seasons lol, if AFCON didn't exist then i'd argue we don't even need a striker as we can just replace Ba or Cisse with a wide player.

AFCON is the reason we need one IMO.

I think because of HBA and Marvaux we are not is such a hurry for another striker. Both could play in a front 3 IMO.

I would agree if Ba and Cisse didn't piss off to Africa most seasons lol, if AFCON didn't exist then i'd argue we don't even need a striker as we can just replace Ba or Cisse with a wide player.

AFCON is the reason we need one IMO.

I agree with you, but pretty sure that is a reason why we are not so active in that area (as appears to be the case). 

No way Shola could be the meat in that sandwich!

Haven't seen enough from Marveaux to have a valid opinion of whether he could play as part of a front 3. From what I have seen he certainly looks very technical, but looks like he might be better suited to sitting a little deeper and pulling the strings.