Nigel Pearson - Our potential Blessing in disguise ?

PCW1983

I know you said that his blocking and tackling are exceptional. The defenders I have listed are also known for their tackling and blocking, to various degree,  skills. What is your opinions for those player's blocking skills?

I don't disagree with you Gejon.

I think I am just being pedantic with Yorkie. Yorkie, you can just ignore me we both agree that Ramage has something in his tackling and blocking. We simply disagree on how good he is.

I don't disagree with you Gejon.

I think I am just being pedantic with Yorkie. Yorkie, you can just ignore me we both agree that Ramage has something in his tackling and blocking. We simply disagree on how good he is.

Wasn't ignoring you, Delima. ;-)

I think you were being a bit pedantic and i think i was probably exaggerating. But like i say, in the last few games that i've seen him play, he's thrown himself into some audacious penalty-area blocks, that have come off and have been bloody good.

I think people will run at a fullback a lot more, trying to get by them down the wing, and this is where Ramage is terrible.  Watching him attempting to jockey and keep himself in a good defensive position while an average winger is running at him is pathetic.  I don't think centrebacks have to have the same kind of pace to stop speedy wingers, and almost certainly don't get run at as much.  Yes, it's true that when everything goes to shite in the box, Ramage pops up with some good defensive skills, but as a fullback, he really is woeful.  He can't really stop crosses coming in, and he can't get forward on either his left or right foot.  Those are probably the 2 most important things a fullback has to do, and he can't really do either.  Time will tell whether or not he'll be a decent centre back.

Babayaro is a better LB than Ramage will ever be...Ramage is crap at LB because he is TOO SLOW...Ramage is OK at CB but to the people who choose Ramage over Babayaro at LB then I tell them they are BLIND...

Guest theunis

Ramage is not a LB that is agreed on, but he is what we got there atm, and he is giving it 100% and for that he is exceptional. You get players that moan and groan being played out of position. But he just gets on with it and gives it his all and that is all we can really ask for till we have signed a LB or have Baba fit

Amazing how a thread started about our NO2 Big Nige turns into a thread slagging Ramage.  bluecry.gif bluecry.gif

On topic, Big Nige has only been here a short time and we are already seeing the benefits of having here, he has sorted out the back four, we defend much more as a unit now. I am sure within the next few months he will sort out the individual faults of our defenders.  :thup:

I don`t think its just to do with the defenders. It doesn`t matter who you have in defence if your not an attacking threat. The opposition will just push up and pepper your goal until they score knowing they only have to leave a few back.  Having a bit of pace back in the team Dyer/Martins means the other team have to leave midfielders back too. Some peoples understanding of football on this forum does make me laugh.  It is also to do with not getting caught on the break as we have no real full backs you will notice we don`t push on down the flanks as much as usual and are having to find other ways to goal, through the middle mainly. 

Guest theunis

True it is a team effort. But since Nigel has come we have looked a better defensive unit playing with Shambles and a relative young back 4. But also we have had some players back in attack that has made a big difference. With Dyer back teams might be scared going forward to much and getting caught on the break

When Roeder first came in, our defence improved significantly as well. So I'm doubtful that it is actually Pearson's impact that has changed us. Roeder supposedly came in and the first thing he did was try to sort out the defence, which he did to a point. Then what happened? At the start of this season, we were shit again, what happened over the summer to Roeder's ability to teach his defenders how to defend? Sure we played against some average teams during the run-in but our defence wasn't making the mental mistakes it still is making.

I would like us to stay solid for a bit longer before we heap praise on Pearson. Afterall he did come from a failed management unit at West Brom. Good luck to him I am happy with any coach that can improve our defence. If the clean sheets start becoming more constant and mistakes are being cut out then he deserves all the praise in the world. I wonder if he will have any influence on defensive targets in the transfer window.

Think everyone's getting themselves a bit overexcited over Pearson tbh.

So far while we've had him (excluding Boro since that was a day after he joined at most):

Pompey 3-0 - Fair enough, we were excellent

Charlton 0-0 - Charlton are God-awful

Palermo 1-0 - Again impressive, but then we always are in Europe - see Fenerbahce

Sheff Utd 0-1 - Sheff Utd are not much better than Charlton

Watford 2-2 - Two very sloppy goals conceded from set-pieces

Man City 0-0 - Would have been an absolute caning but for Harper and some sloppy finishing

Arsenal 1-1 - See above but swap Harper for Given

Celta Vigo 2-1 - Canny, but Europe again

Pompey 1-0 - Defence were superb, I'll give them that

Don't know if its been said already but Pearson looks like a man not to be messed with.

Maybe Mr soft needs a enforcer next to him to get the message across.

Shearer instantly would command respect due to his ties, and not being too soft himself, Bond looked like a 5year old would give him a kicking, and GR would run away and hide until it was all over.

Don't know of Pearson's career as a player, so he could have been a softy too, but that big old head of his looks hard to knock off.  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Pearson was a tough as old boots centre half and a leader.

Ramage has improved massively since moving to the central position, as I suggested he might be.

Yep his attributes suit the centre a lot more than the fullback position where he needs to come forward a lot more with the ball.

Pearson does look a bit nails like!