Jason Prior stretchered off with broken leg

JH

Love how Douglas has still got his age wrong.

And still manages to stick his tongue up NUFC's collective hoop. Thinking outside the fucking box. How about stay in the box and buy a player with some pedigree you bunch of cheap cunts.

:dowie: you are one miserable, cynical bassa.

The football equivalent of someone buying your used car last year for £35m and you then asking to borrow your mates old banger - just to see if you like it.

Cynicism is very necessary when viewing anything NUFC do under Ashleys ownership in my John Humble.

We've had non-league players on trial before, it's nothing new to the current regime or related to the fact that Carroll was sold a year ago for exortionate money.

Absolutely pathetic that this has been blown into a 14-page thread, allowing the miserable sods in our support to use it as 'evidence' of Ashley's poor stewardship.

The club should be checking out lower-league talent, as the likes of Norwich, Fulham and Man Utd can attest to - there are some good players to be found who haven't come up through the academy system.

However, if the club is doing this instead of scouting for first team-ready players, then there's reason to be upset - I just don't see the evidence pointing to this.

We've had non-league players on trial before, it's nothing new to the current regime or related to the fact that Carroll was sold a year ago for exortionate money.

Absolutely pathetic that this has been blown into a 14-page thread, allowing the miserable sods in our support to use it as 'evidence' of Ashley's poor stewardship.

The club should be checking out lower-league talent, as the likes of Norwich, Fulham and Man Utd can attest to - there are some good players to be found who haven't come up through the academy system.

However, if the club is doing this instead of scouting for first team-ready players, then there's reason to be upset - I just don't see the evidence pointing to this.

It's about priorities. I think most people would agree we need more than one player to go in to the first team pool this January and the primary reason this won't happen is financial. Less players available on the cheap in Jan, vast majority of clauses/free transfers will come into effect in the summer.

I'd rather the club prioritised getting us a stronger first team/first team squad if funds are as limited as we're lead to believe regardless of the fact this kid will probably be getting paid in Sports Direct vouchers should he sign.

Not to mention the fact we've recieved a huge amount of money last Jan and the reluctance to reinvest it in any significant way.

I don't think you can seperate the Carroll sale and the need to strengthen the side right now as his departure, for such a vast amount, gives the Board no excuses.

It won't surprise you to know that I'm very cynical about the Maiga deal falling through, especially with Saylor getting injured around the same sort of time.

But perhaps that's me just being a miserable sod or a cynical bastard - take your pick.

I don't disagree with your general point about needing players in January, but I still fail to see what any of that has to do with taking some non-league players on trial - it's not a change in policy as we've been doing it for years.

It's far too easy for the Ash-bashers to use this story to fit their anti-owner agenda, despite them being unrelated. I can't see why our ability to get first-team ready players in over the next month should be influenced by getting one lad up from the south coast and into a few training sessions. It's going to be the coaches who are evaluating him, not the likes of Carr and Llambias.

I don't disagree with your general point about needing players in January, but I still fail to see what any of that has to do with taking some non-league players on trial - it's not a change in policy as we've been doing it for years.

It's far too easy for the Ash-bashers to use this story to fit their anti-owner agenda, despite them being unrelated. I can't see why our ability to get first-team ready players in over the next month should be influenced by getting one lad up from the south coast and into a few training sessions. It's going to be the coaches who are evaluating him, not the likes of Carr and Llambias.

The overiding sentiment seems to be one of positivity and well-wishes for the guy throughout the thread so I fail to see the miserable sod comment holding much water btw.

As for my cynicism, I'd say its well founded and my view, on this specific case, is that we should be concentrating all of our efforts on pushing for 7th which would be a fantastic return by anyone's expectations. To achieve this, we'll need more than one body in January.

Therefore, I'm not all that bothered about 'thinking outside the box' if it means nicking a kid from under Eastleigh's noses. That said, if we go on to strengthen the first team squad with a minimum of two bodies this Jan, then I'm happy for this lad to trial his socks off, so long as it doesn't impact our moves elsewhere.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're looking for the next Loven though ahead of the summer, which would frustrate me if done 'on the cheap' due to the Carroll move - hence the earlier comments.

The overiding sentiment seems to be one of positivity and well-wishes for the guy throughout the thread so I fail to see the miserable sod comment holding much water btw.

As for my cynicism, I'd say its well founded and my view, on this specific case, is that we should be concentrating all of our efforts on pushing for 7th which would be a fantastic return by anyone's expectations. To achieve this, we'll need more than one body in January.

Therefore, I'm not all that bothered about 'thinking outside the box' if it means nicking a kid from under Eastleigh's noses. That said, if we go on to strengthen the first team squad with a minimum of two bodies this Jan, then I'm happy for this lad to trial his socks off, so long as it doesn't impact our moves elsewhere.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're looking for the next Loven though ahead of the summer, which would frustrate me if done 'on the cheap' due to the Carroll move - hence the earlier comments.

What on earth are you on (and on) about? Why or how should trialling a player "impact our moves elsewhere"?

Guest Craig-NUFC

We're bringing in Jordan Botaka on trial too, so maybe they're trying to group together a bunch of trialists and make a week of it.

We're bringing in Jordan Botaka on trial too, so maybe they're trying to group together a bunch of trialists and make a week of it.

I don't believe you, there's no thread about it.

We always make threads about trialist players and deride the club for doing things "on the cheap".