Liverpool 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 12/30/11 - Post-match reaction from page 43

Beren

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Think Vuckic might ultimately be better in midfield proper. Not sure he's quick enough with the ball in that No. 10 role.

Wide left I was thinking.

The system isn't working. If you play 4-5-1, you've got to try to keep the ball on the deck, and we don't have the players to do that - particularly the full backs.

I don't know how bad Santon might be as a defender, but he can't do a worse job than Ryan Taylor at the moment.

Vuckic doesn't seem to have the pace or movement for that role. Not his fault that he's struggling. Hopefully we'll still be level by the time Ben Arfa comes on.

What? Of course we do. I agree that the full-backs aren't the best footballers on the pitch for us, but we've got a crux of players through the middle that should enable us to play a bit of carpet football. There have been some fleeting glances of it throughout, and we've looked infinitely more threatening.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Think it's the tactics letting Vuckic down more than him being shit. He needs the ball to his feet, not in the air. Also been a few times where he's made good runs and players haven't passed to him. Only Cabaye who has given it to him if he has been the best pass. Couple of throw ins where he made a run and Raylor aimed straight to Ba with 2 men around him.

so, I'm not watching it, just relying on internet info but ... 'shocking half from us' and comments like that ... its 1-1 at Anfield ...

Ok, we might be fortunate that we are still in it, but, I'm happy at the moment, would be happy if this was the end result, and we can change with our subs  - I'm sure after the Bolton game, Pardew will give Ben Arfa 30 mins at least - and sounds like Santon's on soon

bit more optimism justified ??

Oohh, I'm sure we're all delighted with the score at the moment, but the fact we've barely strung two passes together puts it into perspective.

Agreed.

im i the only one that thinks we are playing quite well?

compared to the smash it upfield football we been dishing out for last 4 games, i think we havent looked that badly, 

liverpool are a decent side.

Aye. Thought there'd be much more long ball shit than there was today. Still hopefull.

Santon for Raylor has to happen, though. And Best/Shola or HBA for Vuckic.

Why have we been persisting with this hoof-ball nonsense when it's been made absolutely clear that it's no good for us? We've got one man up top so the chances of getting the ball down are limited, and even if we do, he's all on his own and will lose it anyway. It's absolutely pointless.

People are probably right in saying that this isn't the game for Vuckic, but it's as much because we're not playing the right sort of football, as his nerves.

Frustrating. There's something in this for us because i haven't been impressed by Liverpool.

Good point, we don't need to turn to Best/Shola yet, Ben Arfa in the same system should still improve us.

Liverpool have looked poor, definitely there for the taking. We scored and suddenly something clicked and we start to panic. That spurred them on and it's been all them since, but all huff and puff and not enough clinical chances. We just keep hoofing the ball back to them whereas if we just held onto it and passed it around, we'd put some pressure on them. We really need to get support up to Ba and need to make more of the shitloads of space Liverpool are giving to Tiote in the middle.

At times we've looked solid and at other times we've squandered possession.  Vuckic has done nothing of note, Obertan hasn’t been in the game and once again, Ryan Taylor is in hiding.  He’s a really, really, poor defender who either gets skinned or just doesn’t even bother defending the winger, he hides.  To be fair he has put in a good cross for the goal and he does put his head in where it hurts in the middle but that’s not his game.  As a right back his game should be defending the winger and he’s not doing it.