NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest VaVaVoom

This isn't a dig at the board, but there ain't a cat in hell's chance that we'll spend double figures on another striker.

I agree...Unless Ba goes like i said.

Should Ba stay we could see Dost for about 7mil though.

Guest VaVaVoom

So Douglas has a year left, who much would he cost then? About 5mil?

How much has Vertonghen been priced in the media?

I don't think we will even then.

I think we'll sign a striker this window, probably before Ba leaves after a tedious tussle that comes to an end on the 31st August.

I can only see us spending money on a high profile forward unless Ba were to go......

I do think Barnetta, Debuchy, Douglas and a young striker is realistic though.

Ideally I prefer Mbiwa, but I won't complain if we sign Douglas instead.

I genuinely expect Obetan to do a Perch, think the hatred still needs to go down a bit but when he gets to the level where people think he is comically s*** he will put in some surprising performances and be considered a decent back up players in a few options.

Similar to Raylor and Best also.

Obertan seems to insecure for me, I really feel bad for him when he is out there. Hope you are right.

We won't spend much but say we got -

Clyne (compensation)

Barnetta (Free)

Amalfitano (already signed, free)

Douglas £5m

Butterfield (compensation)

One of these young lower league strikers (Rhodes/Zaha/Rodriguez) around £6m

I would be over the moon tbh.  Around £15m spend. Might have too many midfielders mind :lol:

I genuinely expect Obetan to do a Perch, think the hatred still needs to go down a bit but when he gets to the level where people think he is comically s*** he will put in some surprising performances and be considered a decent back up players in a few options.

Similar to Raylor and Best also.

Obertan seems to insecure for me, I really feel bad for him when he is out there. Hope you are right.

I reckon the same could have been said for Perch though. Obertan left France as a youngster to one of the biggest clubs in Europe, wasn't quite up to their level (fair enough) and barely got a game. Moved to us and things didn't go well straight away and his confidence took a bit more of a beating. Probably didn't help the fans getting on his back (seem to remember comments from Pardew about 6 games into 'Obermong's' time here about the crowd getting on his back a little).

As I said before, once he has got to that 'comically shit' stage the pressure might be off for him to do perform at an acceptable (if not brilliant) level.

Or he may fade into nothingness. As others have said, he has attributes to be a good player but is missing the most important thing, a brain.

Full Back: Debuchy, Cissokho or Clyne

Centre Back: Yanga-Mbiwa or Douglas

Midfield: 2 from Amalfitano, Butterfield, Barnetta and Mark Davies

Forward-ish: Zaha or Hoilett

This will do :thup:

I'd add in a young-ish out and out striker too, someone like Jordan Rhodes/Jay Rodriguez.

In my opinion, except a new CB, all the other players would be signed on a replacement basis.  That is, if Simpson agrees to stay, we would not sign a new right back, or left depending on availability and price.  The same goes for a new striker.  We would only sign one after Ba's sold and don't forget we haven't offload Best yet.  We wouldn't spend money on positions where we still got a backup. 

The signing of Romain is due to the departure of Guthrie. Replacement again. So unless there is a fucking brilliant deal like Cabaye's one, we would not sign anyone before we offload our players.  We better beg the talks between Simpson and the club completely breaks down asap.

In my opinion, except a new CB, all the other players would be signed on a replacement basis.  That is, if Simpson agrees to stay, we would not sign a new right back, or left depending on availability and price.  The same goes for a new striker.  We would only sign one after Ba's sold and don't forget we haven't offload Best yet.  We wouldn't spend money on positions where we still got a backup. 

The signing of Romain is due to the departure of Guthrie. Replacement again. So unless there is a f***ing brilliant deal like Cabaye's one, we would not sign anyone before we offload our players.  We better beg the talks between Simpson and the club completely breaks down asap.

Rubbish imo.

I don't think we will even then.

I think we'll sign a striker this window, probably before Ba leaves after a tedious tussle that comes to an end on the 31st August.

Yup. Don't even think we'll sign any player on double figures. It's just not 'how we roll' atm.

The signing of Romain is due to the departure of Guthrie. Replacement again. So unless there is a f***ing brilliant deal like Cabaye's one, we would not sign anyone before we offload our players.  We better beg the talks between Simpson and the club completely breaks down asap.

Rubbish imo.

No problem. Time will tell. Ashley wouldn't waste any penny.

Guest bmoregeordie

Newcastle are in a much stronger position than they've been in years to lure in transfers, especially those from outside England. Their place in the table and European football helps. But I think that, more importantly, this is no longer a squad defined by and dominated by Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan, and Alan Smith. This is an international side, led primarily by non-English players. Pardew - and the Toon Army - have created an environment where foreign players are not only accepted, but embraced. That is very different than the old stereotype of Northerners. I can only imagine that if I were from a different country, especially if I spoke French, I'd much rather come to Newcastle than most other EPL sides.

Furthermore, Pardew just made stars out of Ba, Cisse and Cabaye in one season, and greatly increased their profile. Hell, even Santon has seen his value increase. And Tiote and Krul just continue to bolster their stock. Players looking to move will take notice of this.

This doesn't impact the mega-million transfers, where we are not remotely involved. But it does impact most players. If you are a quality player expected to move, and your transfer fee is in the 5-10 million range, you might actually consider moving to Newcastle over a richer club. Because if you're truly a quality player, you'll play. We had a great run last season, but make no mistake that this is a thin squad. Made thinner by the increase in competitions next season. Any player, or agent, looking at improving his value has to take this into account. Whereas moving to Liverpool or Chelsea might result in an Aquilani-type situation, if you perform, there will be games for you in Newcastle.

These players were already 'stars' who played internationally. Only difference is the British audience now know who they are, though those who take an interest in European football must have already known who these players were. Ba was highly rated at Hoffenheim, Cisse was consistently banging the goals in for an awful Freiburg side and Cabaye was pulling the strings for and captaining the team who won Ligue 1.

They weren't stars in England. And the EPL is the biggest league on earth. Maybe they were well-known among informed fans. But they've all crossed over to mainstream name recognition. Before Newcastle brought them in, none of these players were linked to Champions League clubs, were they?

And even if you disagree with this assessment, my larger point stands. Newcastle is an attractive place for quality players - who are not going to command 20 million transfers - to come and build their reputation.

I think we'd sign a player for double figures if it met all the criteria for potential profit, age, profile etc. It's a stupid rigid policy to have anyway; if we got offered Messi for £10m (I know) then of course they'd do it.

I also think we'll be signing replacements for those who leave and will maybe see 1 addition coming in if we're lucky. We ought to because Smith will be off the wagebill and hopefully Xisco too.

I'll be surprised and disappointed if we're not in the bidding for Lee Chung-yong from Bolton because he ticks every box. He's a hard-working player with end product, he has assists and goals in him and he's good enough for our first XI in my view. He was one of the best players at Bolton the season before relegation when they weren't a bad team either. He'll be available at a discount because Bolton have been relegated, all tying in with the club's buying policy. He has also played out wide comfortably in a 4-3-3 at Bolton I believe. One final bonus would be raising the club's profile in Asia. Like Marveaux, Ba etc there'll be questions over his recovery from a broken leg but the club can also use this to drag the price down and take the gamble he makes a full recovery.

For me I'd bring him in as an addition but if a player must make way I'd sacrifice Obertan though I'd be surprised to see that happen.

I think the club will expect players like Abeid, Ferguson, Vuckic and Tavernier to have a bigger role next season with the added fixtures, as well as Marveaux and Gosling, rather than signing more players the gamble will be that these players step up. The bulk of the money spent therefore would be on trying to get quality replacements for Simpson and maybe Ba.

Newcastle are in a much stronger position than they've been in years to lure in transfers, especially those from outside England. Their place in the table and European football helps. But I think that, more importantly, this is no longer a squad defined by and dominated by Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan, and Alan Smith. This is an international side, led primarily by non-English players. Pardew - and the Toon Army - have created an environment where foreign players are not only accepted, but embraced. That is very different than the old stereotype of Northerners. I can only imagine that if I were from a different country, especially if I spoke French, I'd much rather come to Newcastle than most other EPL sides.

Furthermore, Pardew just made stars out of Ba, Cisse and Cabaye in one season, and greatly increased their profile. Hell, even Santon has seen his value increase. And Tiote and Krul just continue to bolster their stock. Players looking to move will take notice of this.

This doesn't impact the mega-million transfers, where we are not remotely involved. But it does impact most players. If you are a quality player expected to move, and your transfer fee is in the 5-10 million range, you might actually consider moving to Newcastle over a richer club. Because if you're truly a quality player, you'll play. We had a great run last season, but make no mistake that this is a thin squad. Made thinner by the increase in competitions next season. Any player, or agent, looking at improving his value has to take this into account. Whereas moving to Liverpool or Chelsea might result in an Aquilani-type situation, if you perform, there will be games for you in Newcastle.

These players were already 'stars' who played internationally. Only difference is the British audience now know who they are, though those who take an interest in European football must have already known who these players were. Ba was highly rated at Hoffenheim, Cisse was consistently banging the goals in for an awful Freiburg side and Cabaye was pulling the strings for and captaining the team who won Ligue 1.

They weren't stars in England. And the EPL is the biggest league on earth. Maybe they were well-known among informed fans. But they've all crossed over to mainstream name recognition. Before Newcastle brought them in, none of these players were linked to Champions League clubs, were they?

And even if you disagree with this assessment, my larger point stands. Newcastle is an attractive place for quality players - who are not going to command 20 million transfers - to come and build their reputation.

Santons value increased to whom exactly?

Guest bmoregeordie

To a lot of people, including Alan Pardew.

It took Santon awhile to get settled, but he was seeing a steady run of games to end the season, and showed significant improvement.

Given his status entering the year, this is improvement. Mind you, I did not include him as a "star". But I do think he has that potential.

To a lot of people, including Alan Pardew.

It took Santon awhile to get settled, but he was seeing a steady run of games to end the season, and showed significant improvement.

Given his status entering the year, this is improvement. Mind you, I did not include him as a "star". But I do think he has that potential.

He's by some distance the best fullback we have at the club.

I include Santon in my spine of quality players we have. Has been very good this season and will get better considering he is still adapating to a new league and a new country.

I think this year as last year, we don't really need that many new numbers in the squad, we need to replace players not looking like getting into the side. Like Kadar, Smith, Xisco, Loven etc. When they are gone, as they've barely played wouldn't go noticed, but if new recruits do make an impact they will essentially take up someone wages but not spot in squad so to say.

Guest ThievingMagpie

I also think we'll be signing replacements for those who leave and will maybe see 1 addition coming in if we're lucky. We ought to because Smith will be off the wagebill and hopefully Xisco too.

I'll be surprised and disappointed if we're not in the bidding for Lee Chung-yong from Bolton because he ticks every box. He's a hard-working player with end product, he has assists and goals in him and he's good enough for our first XI in my view. He was one of the best players at Bolton the season before relegation when they weren't a bad team either. He'll be available at a discount because Bolton have been relegated, all tying in with the club's buying policy. He has also played out wide comfortably in a 4-3-3 at Bolton I believe. One final bonus would be raising the club's profile in Asia. Like Marveaux, Ba etc there'll be questions over his recovery from a broken leg but the club can also use this to drag the price down and take the gamble he makes a full recovery.

For me I'd bring him in as an addition but if a player must make way I'd sacrifice Obertan though I'd be surprised to see that happen.

I think the club will expect players like Abeid, Ferguson, Vuckic and Tavernier to have a bigger role next season with the added fixtures, as well as Marveaux and Gosling, rather than signing more players the gamble will be that these players step up. The bulk of the money spent therefore would be on trying to get quality replacements for Simpson and maybe Ba.

The idea of us basically building a team full of players who have had career threatening injuries is pretty jarring.  We can't go back to that well AGAIN can we?

I may stand corrected but wasn't the bolton lad in from Arsenal on loan?