NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Pardew this afternoon: 'If we manage to get another (signing), that would be the icing on the cake.'

Debuchy pls.

:thup: being a bit greedy but i wish we would buy a CB/CF too  :(

I think they've decided Williamson/Good/Tavernier/Perch can cover at centre-half.

Yeah it does seem that way.

I think it will be Douglas .

I know its The Mag but if true this couyld help us out...

Following the signing of Vurnon Anita earlier today, the news from Holland is that another long-running Newcastle target could be also be on the agenda again.

Our man in Holland, Paul Benneworth, sent us this;

With the Douglas saga there was an interesting twist last night.

McLaren was saying he wants some cover at left back given the injury situation to Kuiper with Schilder providing (some) cover but Munsterman (FC Twente Chairman) says there is no money unless someone is sold before the end of the transfer period.

Douglas must be the number one candidate for a fire sale given that they have now got  three starting centre-backs, of them Wisgerhof is too old to really sell for serious money, while Bjaelland has just arrived.

The only other candidate is Chadli but seeing how he performed last night for Belgium (a bit Duff-esque, running hard but no end product) and was overshadowed completely when substituted by Dries Mertens, who PSV bought together with Kevin Strootman for €13m.

I’s hard to see Chadli bringing in more money than Douglas and selling the striker anyway would just give them problems up front.

Forgetting the personalities involved. I'm leaning towards us needing a decent striker over a full back.

Why? We've got two decent strikers and we only usually play one up front. Like  said yesterday the one key area we are still weak in the first 11 is right back (or left back if you move Santon to the right). I really believe two quality full backs could make a massive difference to our game.

Forgetting the personalities involved. I'm leaning towards us needing a decent striker over a full back.

Why? We've got two decent strikers and we only usually play one up front. Like  said yesterday the one key area we are still weak in the first 11 is right back (or left back if you move Santon to the right). I really believe two quality full backs could make a massive difference to our game.

And IF they manage to beat ivory coast and go to the african nations or heaven forbid they happen to get injured?

Forgetting the personalities involved. I'd be leaning towards us needing a decent striker over a full back.

/Still think Debuchy would be perfect for us though.

Strikers:

Ba and Cisse - Excellent

Shola - Competent for short spells / excellent V mackems

HBA - Can play just behind a striker, arguably his best position

Adam Campbell - Looks like he might be able to play a small part this season

Fullbacks:

Santon - Settling in well, could have an excellent season

Simpson - Terrified of the ball

We need cover in both, lets not kid ourselves, but we're fucking desperate for a decent fullback to complement Santon. If we get a striker, we're adding to our depth. If we get a fullback, we're adding to our first XI. Surely that's got to be more important?

I know there's the ACON etc, but that's a few games for a month or so. A fullback would be for 38 games, plus FA and League cups + Europe.

Papiss and Ba will be playing most games together, not rotated.

With one or both occasionally out injured for periods (or going to the ACN), relying on a perpetually injured Shola as backup now that Best and Lovelypants have gone is just asking for trouble imho.

Upgrading out rightback may be desirable, but if we don't, we have solid enough depth in those positions now.

Including Adam Campbell. Deary me.

By saying he 'might' be able to play a 'small part'? Hardly suggesting we're reliant on him.

I reckon he'll get a game or 2 this season in the cups, even if coming on from the bench. We'll see.

Not that mental like, he could play a part in Europe.

But to think we'll rely on him in January when the Demba's might go away is mental.

I still think he'll play a part this season. Same goes for Remie Streete when he gets back to fitness.

I'd have RB over striker any day of the week though. I'd rather we struggled up front for a few games than having to put up with footballphobic hoof-ambassador all season.

Not that mental like, he could play a part in Europe.

It does cry out desperation however.

A) I put him as fifth choice.

B) We are fairly desperate for a striker. I'm not even remotely disputing that in anything I'm saying.

C) However we're even more desperate for a fullback. Who the merry hell is fifth choice there? Steve Harper?