NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

I thought that £7m thing was a joke?  :lol:

Wasn't at the talk-in myself to judge the context of the comment but it was what AP said and knowing MA/DL and the reaction from LFC from our bid it wouldn't surprise me... And if we do pride ourselves focusing on the value of a player I'd certainly wouldn't be paying much more than £7m baring in mind Cisse cost £8m albeit a few years older... Would be interesting who people would prefer if we could only buy one more player for £7m... Debuchy or Carroll...

Catts for me like

Wasn't at the talk-in myself to judge the context of the comment but it was what AP said and knowing MA/DL and the reaction from LFC from our bid it wouldn't surprise me... And if we do pride ourselves focusing on the value of a player I'd certainly wouldn't be paying much more than £7m baring in mind Cisse cost £8m albeit a few years older... Would be interesting who people would prefer if we could only buy one more player for £7m... Debuchy or Carroll...

it was a joke.

it was a joke.

£35m was the joke...  :coolsmiley:

wouldn't mind Adam Johnson that much tbf. Just the kind of player we need, a direct winger with an eye for goal. Familiar with that attacking trio kind of play aswell.

It's hardly a necessity though, while a RB, CB and striker are all necessities.

Guest Realist

My stance on Simpson, and those who can play right back, has softened somewhat.  I would actually put RB behind striker and striker well behind CB in terms of "need" right now.

I've said this before when his name has come up, but I'd jizz oldtype style if we signed Johnson.

Would be a great signing, think he would be here in a shot. Highly unlikely though.

Been thinking more on the RB/Striker/CB dilemma. Basically we could do with all three to improve. I am tossing and turning on RB or Striker as a priority tbh. CB is reasonably covered with Tavs looking great in pre-season, Good tipped for a decent future and Streete not too far behind. Another CB like Douglas would have been perfect for now, but we would have run the risk of Saylor throwing his toys out of the pram again if he is displaced and the youngsters not getting a chance.

Striker wise I think we need someone pacey that could play on the wings in a 4-3-3, or still fit into a 4-4-2 if needed. Someone like Remy is appealing and would get games.  I am yet to be convinced by Sammy but he has time. Shola is Shola, could be a world beater one game but likely shit the next ten. If we are playing 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 we can use Ba and Cisse, but they need resting, most likely at the same time for some games, I would like to have someone I know would get the job done rather than hoping they turn up and perform or improve. Pardew can say we haven't lost anyone (important) which is basically true but we did have leon and Peter as 3/5th choice strikers. If they were both still here I still don't think I would play Sammy ahead of the former. Bottom line we need one more quality striker backed up by Sammy, Shola and then Campbell coming through.

However with RB, we have some options, problem is most of them are shit. Santon can do a good job there, but then we don't have someone decent for LB. Simpson needs replacing and Raylor doesnt offer enough. Tavs is favored more in the middle now. The impact of a new quality RB like Debuchy would be of far greater importance than a 3rd choice striker, especially if we are mainly playing with one up top we can afford to rest on of Ba and Cisse from time to time and play 4-3-3.

Im happy for the CB situation to stay as it is (fingers crossed for now major injuries) but we need another striker and RB and I will be dissapointed if we miss this window to get them.

Agree! Striker/forward type + RB before the window closes and hopefully we'll be able to make it to january with the cb's we've got. Imagine Colo being out for a month or more, God, i don't even dare to think about it.

Loose rumours about betting suspended on Adam Johnson to Newcastle...

We definitely need players in other positions first :lol:

If it's a loan with a view to buy next summer then it won't hurt. I like him as a player but as you say other positions should take priority in terms of £££ signings.

I never get this view. Someone like Adam Johnson even for one-year would be fantastic.

Pardew said the other week that we're strong in the wide areas so I don't think we'll be going for Johnson, even though I'd love for us to do that.

I think his potential is massive, he just made the mistake of signing for the one club where no young player will ever be able to develop.

Guest pintofscottsellers

I rate Johnson like, but tbf I can only remember watching him once last season, that was against Wolves in the Carling Cup, City were getting beat and he turned the game with a goal and a sublime pass, would like him here but would rather we got a right back and a center forward.

When Cisse and Ba go off to the African cup who'll play up front?

If we don't sign another striker now and Cisse and Ba go to the ACON in January then we've got a transfer window at the same time to sign a backup.  But if we don't sign a right back now Danny fucking Simpson plays there for at least the first 5 months of the season..  Right backs a much bigger priority.

Debuchy and Jordan Rhodes, great summer.

That'd be fantastic! Expensive mind.

Was thinking we've actually spent a fair wedge lately (relative to our current income/standing etc).

Cisse, Anita, Romain, Biggie Smalls and Good in two windows. Respectable outlay from the Big Cheese. I guess clearing some wages off the books and getting some smaller fees for the likes of Best as helped, but still.

That said, if fucking Southampton are spending £7m and £11.8m and a poxy club like Sunderland are willing to invest around the £12m mark for a striker maybe it's par for a Prem club atm.