NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Guest bimpy474

They don't drop into Europa do they? Thought that was at later stages?

Just checked, they do go into the Europa Group stages.

really don't think it matters moneywise.

Yeah, that doesn't help them. He's ours.

Guest bimpy474

Moneywise, nah i couldn't care less about that madras, just daft they get to the group stages of the Europa for losing.

Moneywise, nah i couldn't care less about that madras, just daft they get to the group stages of the Europa for losing.

oh aye it's daft. i just thought you mentioned it as if it may have a bearing on the gomis deal/no need to sell etc.

Guest bimpy474

oh aye it's daft. i just thought you mentioned it as if it may have a bearing on the gomis deal/no need to sell etc.

I think Lyon want to sell more because he could go for free, well it does tie in with them having no money as well.

I don't mind teams losing in the playoff rounds of the CL going to the EL, there's a lot of small teams that get to that stage after winning several rounds and several minor league champions that'd get shafted out of Europe just because they are from small countries. It's not like in the group stages where a team that beats some minnow from pot 4 and loses to everybody else gets a free parachute to the EL (and a lot of times ends up winning it, hello Chelsea/Atlético/Porto)

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France 47s

La Provence: Florian Thauvin is currently in Paris. #LOSC #OM

Expand

Mealy wish we were actually after him

No difference whether we were in. He doesn't want to leave France at this stage of his career.

I don't mind teams losing in the playoff rounds of the CL going to the EL, there's a lot of small teams that get to that stage after winning several rounds and several minor league champions that'd get shafted out of Europe just because they are from small countries. It's not like in the group stages where a team that beats some minnow from pot 4 and loses to everybody else gets a free parachute to the EL (and a lot of times ends up winning it, hello Chelsea/Atlético/Porto)

:thup:

It's great for teams from leagues like Sweden, where you need to win two ties to get to the final qualifier of the CL, makes sense that you drop into the EL if you lose that game.

Guest bimpy474

It's great for teams from leagues like Sweden, where you need to win two ties to get to the final qualifier of the CL, makes sense that you drop into the EL if you lose that game.

I understand that bit but i'm more of a "too many teams in it". The Champions League is just mental now, i dont know why they bother with the Europa League. Just expand the Champions league and be done with it and have one competition. The fact that teams that finished 3rd in their Champions League groups then drop in the Europa makes it all the more stupid as it goes along.

Old school thinking from me, Champions League where a team can finish 4th in their league but be the winners, isn't a Champions League. I'm a fossil tbf mind.

I understand that bit but i'm more of a "too many teams in it". The Champions League is just mental now, i dont know why they bother with the Europa League. Just expand the Champions league and be done with it and have one competition. The fact that teams that finished 3rd in their Champions League groups then drop in the Europa makes it all the more stupid as it goes along.

Old school thinking from me, Champions League where a team can finish 4th in their league but be the winners, isn't a Champions League. I'm a fossil tbf mind.

That's a different issue though. Most of the teams that benefit from the "drop into the EL if you lose in CL quals" are champions or runners-up in small European leagues.

I'm one that thinks that 4th placed teams should have no business in the CL, but then there's a larger issue of closing even more the access to the huge revenue than CL brings. UEFA should subsidize the EL with CL revenue, imho, that way it becomes a thriving ground for up and coming clubs, and makes the competition more desirable.

That's a different issue though. Most of the teams that benefit from the "drop into the EL if you lose in CL quals" are champions or runners-up in small European leagues.

I'm one that thinks that 4th placed teams should have no business in the CL, but then there's a larger issue of closing even more the access to the huge revenue than CL brings. UEFA should subsidize the EL with CL revenue, imho, that way it becomes a thriving ground for up and coming clubs, and makes the competition more desirable.

it's designed to keep things as they are. best thing for football would be to get rid of the champions league and revert to the knockout style with no seeding (there may be a need for a preliminary round or two), if man utd get drawn against barcelona in the first round then so be it.

Guest bimpy474

it's designed to keep things as they are. best thing for football would be to get rid of the champions league and revert to the knockout style with no seeding (there may be a need for a preliminary round or two), if man utd get drawn against barcelona in the first round then so be it.

That's how i'd do it, unfortunately it's about making money, as usual.

Will never happen, CL makes a gazillion money because it guarantees 6 relatively risk-free games of all big European sides during autumn/winter and through group seeding/fixing pretty much guarantees that all those big sides will be in the last stages of the competition in February.