NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Middle of July, about to play our first pre season friendly and not even close to bringing in first team players.

Disgraceful effort again by the board.

It would be great to have everyone in already, it's definitely a shame. More important (IMO) is that we get them at all though, and that remains to be seen.

Why is it that a Director of Football couldn't take a few phone calls/send a few texts on holiday? Does our transfer activity (whatever the hell that phrase even means these days) simply have to grind to a halt without the cunt? If indeed he is already so vital to our efforts, then a holiday at this stage should have been absolutely out of the question.

Maybe he could?

It's mostly rhetorical. I'm quite sure he could. It's more the idea that our business would naturally grind to a halt while he's away at a highly inopportune time. That seems antiquated and ridiculous. But it does seem true - and maybe it's anecdotal - that our activity, whatever it was before, stopped once he left. If we're conducting business that way - that a brand-new, out-of-his-depth, possibly-mentally-ill Kinnear is now such a vital part of our transfer work that his absence is impossible to deal with, then that does depress me greatly.

Why is it that a Director of Football couldn't take a few phone calls/send a few texts on holiday? Does our transfer activity (whatever the hell that phrase even means these days) simply have to grind to a halt without the cunt? If indeed he is already so vital to our efforts, then a holiday at this stage should have been absolutely out of the question.

Maybe he could?

It's mostly rhetorical. I'm quite sure he could. It's more the idea that our business would naturally grind to a halt while he's away at a highly inopportune time. That seems antiquated and ridiculous. But it does seem true - and maybe it's anecdotal - that our activity, whatever it was before, stopped once he left. If we're conducting business that way - that a brand-new, out-of-his-depth, possibly-mentally-ill Kinnear is now such a vital part of our transfer work that his absence is impossible to deal with, then that does depress me greatly.

All we know is that we haven't signed anyone. That's bad in itself, and I agree JFK should probably have stayed I guess... but we don't really know if we have missed out on any players because of it.

Maybe he could?

All we know is that we haven't signed anyone. That's bad in itself, and I agree JFK should probably have stayed I guess... but we don't really know if we have missed out on any players because of it.

True. I doubt we've missed out on any of our targets at this stage. As far as we know our main targets appear to be Bent and hopefully Remy and they haven't gone anywhere yet. We are probably only going to make a couple of major signings anyway after our January signings.

Middle of July, about to play our first pre season friendly and not even close to bringing in first team players.

Disgraceful effort again by the board.

It would be great to have everyone in already, it's definitely a shame. More important (IMO) is that we get them at all though, and that remains to be seen.

We will be very lucky to even see Bent come in and only him.

I personally would be delighted to see Remy and Bent come in. Bent guarantees 10+ goals if played regularly and I'd imagine Remy could do similar and can be deployed with more versatility. Sinclair would be an icing on the cake but with a fit Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Jonas and Gouffran that's the wide areas sorted. The majority of us are deflated but when you only think negatively, the whole situation feels worse than it actually is. We aren't that bad a team and a couple signings can elevate us into top 8 easily. Easily.

I personally would be delighted to see Remy and Bent come in. Bent guarantees 10+ goals if played regularly and I'd imagine Remy could do similar and can be deployed with more versatility. Sinclair would be an icing on the cake but with a fit Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Jonas and Gouffran that's the wide areas sorted. The majority of us are deflated but when you only think negatively, the whole situation feels worse than it actually is. We aren't that bad a team and a couple signings can elevate us into top 8 easily. Easily.

Definitely the case, with a couple of signings we are capable of a lot.

Pardew is still here, true. But he's not completely incapable of managing us given the right circumstances. He takes the largest share of blame for last season, but also some credit for the one before.

The situation would be better if we had a manager we all believed in, but even with Pardew I'm confident we will do a lot better than last season. I don't rate him highly in general, but he's a professional manager and not a complete waste of skin as some people would have you believe. I'm sure he is motivated to put things right - the question is if he can execute.

Guest Phil K

We weren't a bad team last year either but the main reason we struggled is still here. The manager.

Absolutely. Obvious to all apart from Ashley and Pardew himself

Can't be bothered going over old ground but it is the same manager that achieved 5th place.

Hardly the first time a p*ss poor manager got a high placing one year and was disastrous from thereon

A lot of people remain unconvinced about Pards and I think that's certainly acceptable due to the nature of our relative imposion within the space of 12 months. However, you look to Everton in the Early 00's and they didn't half yo-yo until after about 4 seasons they remained consistently within the top 8 until now. I am a supporter of Pardew, I think it's rare to find such honesty from a manager who is open to criticism and willing to share that in open forums with supporters. He should be allowed another crack after his 2011-12 exploits, it's the blokes upstairs who will surely not afford him that.

I disagree that with Ben Arfa, Marveux, Gouffran and Jonas the wide areas are sorted.  I think that Gouffran is decent in the wide forward role but I wouldn't really want him first choice there.  I also am not confident about Marveux out wide.  Lastly, Jonas has no place in an attacking role in our team at all.

Additionally, if we are trying to only sign a couple of players (especially with the excuse of signing quality not quantity) i'd want us to be signing players that are better than those in our starting 11.  I personally don't think Bent offers that. 

I think Remy does and I would be glad to sign him.  I also think that signing Bent would help.  But I certainly won't be delighted with just those two signings and think we'll regret it across the season.

Guest Phil K

Nothing on the horizon still? Great ...

I doubt many of us have the remotest faith in Kinnear and feel he couldn't find his arse with both hands let alone a good signing

A lot of people remain unconvinced about Pards and I think that's certainly acceptable due to the nature of our relative imposion within the space of 12 months. However, you look to Everton in the Early 00's and they didn't half yo-yo until after about 4 seasons they remained consistently within the top 8 until now. I am a supporter of Pardew, I think it's rare to find such honesty from a manager who is open to criticism and willing to share that in open forums with supporters. He should be allowed another crack after his 2011-12 exploits, it's the blokes upstairs who will surely not afford him that.

WUM

Good luck making that post!

I disagree that with Ben Arfa, Marveux, Gouffran and Jonas the wide areas are sorted.  I think that Gouffran is decent in the wide forward role but I wouldn't really want him first choice there.  I also am not confident about Marveux out wide.  Lastly, Jonas has no place in an attacking role in our team at all.

Is exactly right. Ben Arfa's the only player in our squad I'm happy with out wide.

Is exactly right. Ben Arfa's the only player in our squad I'm happy with out wide.

:thup:

In ideal world for me Marveaux is AM/bench, Gouffran bench and Jonas back up for CM or replaced.

Gouffran is fine wide of a front three IMO, not Marv though. We need to sign a wide player, but I doubt we'll get more than one.

Doesn't create. Did he get any assists last season?

I honestly think Gouff was decent considering he just arrived in the country and into a shite team. He seems to have been written off completely on here.

His stats probably don't look amazing but that could be said about nearly every player.

Gouffran is fine wide of a front three IMO, not Marv though. We need to sign a wide player, but I doubt we'll get more than one.

Gouffran doesn't create anything or score many from out there, so he clearly isn't fine.