NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

Yeah, Obertan's not exactly brilliant, but I've seen far worse. Has pace, can finish, has set up goals. He really isn't THAT dreadful, I think opinions on him have been overly polarised by his competition in the early part of last season with Ben Arfa for the wide right spot. With Obertan keeping out the crowd favourite, he was always going to be the antichrist if he didn't get a hattrick every game.

I actually think there is a hint of truth in this but despite sticking up for him he was pretty bad (if not as awful as made out).

As TT and I have mentioned, he is very Bramble like in the fact he has all the attributes apart from a brain. I hope we manage to succeed with this one because Obertan could (very unlikely) be very, very dangerous.

Quite like the idea of him as a forward, based on not much at all other than giving something else a try. Still think loaning him out to a team who would play him every game could be the making of him. He got to the age where players need competitive games (Ferguson, Vuckic, Abeid, Sammy etc..) then moved to one of the biggest clubs in the world where he stood little chance so his developed stalled for another few years.

Bobby would have loved him, he'd have seen him as a challenge just like Bramble and maybe that's what Pardew sees in him also, maybe he believes he can coach in to him how to be effective.

Bobby lost that war, don't fancy Pardew's chances if that is how he sees it.

Yeah, Obertan's not exactly brilliant, but I've seen far worse. Has pace, can finish, has set up goals. He really isn't THAT dreadful, I think opinions on him have been overly polarised by his competition in the early part of last season with Ben Arfa for the wide right spot. With Obertan keeping out the crowd favourite, he was always going to be the antichrist if he didn't get a hattrick every game.

I actually think there is a hint of truth in this but despite sticking up for him he was pretty bad (if not as awful as made out).

As TT and I have mentioned, he is very Bramble like in the fact he has all the attributes apart from a brain. I hope we manage to succeed with this one because Obertan could (very unlikely) be very, very dangerous.

Quite like the idea of him as a forward, based on not much at all other than giving something else a try. Still think loaning him out to a team who would play him every game could be the making of him. He got to the age where players need competitive games (Ferguson, Vuckic, Abeid, Sammy etc..) then moved to one of the biggest clubs in the world where he stood little chance so his developed stalled for another few years.

Bobby would have loved him, he'd have seen him as a challenge just like Bramble and maybe that's what Pardew sees in him also, maybe he believes he can coach in to him how to be effective.

Most likely outcome, my hope/faith in players lasts till the very end though.

One thing Obertan has on his side is the other success stories of the fringe players here at the club. Raylor, Perch, Guthrie, Best and Williamson (to an extent) even Shola is proving useful, Pardew does have a canny knack of getting better performances out of players like this even when it looks completely over (perch) and no fan in the stands has any time for him, somehow their careers turn around. Obertan could be next, its certainly not impossible.

One thing Obertan has on his side is the other success stories of the fringe players here at the club. Raylor, Perch, Guthrie, Best and Williamson (to an extent) even Shola is proving useful, Pardew does have a canny knack of getting better performances out of players like this even when it looks completely over (perch) and no fan in the stands has any time for him, somehow their careers turn around. Obertan could be next, its certainly not impossible.

Going by the press Pardew really puts in the hard yards when it comes to boosting players confidence (even if it does create slight hysteria among small sections of the fans). I bet he really puts an arm around the more fragile players whilst constantly pushing more talented players (HBA) into getting the very best out of them.

I would have let Perch/Raylor go for pretty much fuck all last pre-season but as you say he has managed to turn them into useful players. Obertan has a lot too offer if he can get his shit together. Still not going to get my hopes up though :lol:

He's definitely more comfortable on the left but I think Pardew loves the safety of Jonas too much. Personally, I'd be looking to get Marveaux in on the left a lot this season, even if it means Jonas on the bench. Obertan can chill.

When did Obertan play on the left for us? I have no recollection of this.

Hasn't been much that's why i said little i have seen in that position, saw him play there a few minutes here and there last season and a bit in pre season.

Obviously not enough to suggest he'd be mint there, but when i have seen him there he looked more comfortable than on the right.

Remember he got a nice assist on the left in a cup game? Came on as a late sub & chipped it across for Colo back post diving header. People said it then.

He did similar v Stoke for Ba from right though. He generally just doesnt do that enough, he normally goes to take on his man 5 times instead.

I agree it's not so much the lack of numbers coming in, it's the message that signing no one for the first team sends out to the fans and the existing players. The whole situation has parallels to the Bowyer signing window and we know how that worked out.

I really don't think this is the problem. Doesn't our regime tend to do their transfer dealings without revealing them to the media?

Guest magpie99

I havent posted for a while but having recently bought and watched several times, the season review, I think many on here might have under estimated Obertan.

Due to some issues with form and more to the point, injuries and the emergence of HBA in the second part of the season, Obertan had few opportunities to shine other than cameo sub appearances and lesser games. However, it was noticeasble that he created half a dozen goals and whilst scoring only once, he did have a few shots on goal.

Looking at the depth of the current squad, we cannot afford to let this lad go unless a better replacement is lined up and I feel that is unlikely. Oba would be a good squad player at present with the possibilities of improving. He is still quite young and I think his problems are more associated with confidence rather than ability. Given a decent run, he may well come good.

I should clarify my much-quoted comment slightly - I don't want Obertan in the first team. He's not a particularly good player, but I don't mind him coming on with 20/30 to go if we're trying to change the game a bit or are comfortably ahead. Let's not forget he's still young. Maybe he'll get better, maybe he won't. But he's a useful squad player as is, and next season we'll certainly need a squad.

What's strange is that some people laud Sammy Ameobi as a potential player for the future but to me he's a far worse player than Obertan. Sure, Sammy's younger, but Obertan is a much better player at this point in time. Not that this is saying much, as I must stress I don't rate Obertan that highly. He's OK, that's about it. But we'll need OK players next year when we're playing 50+ games (If things go OK).

I'm not convinced by this theory that Obertan has great technique. Technique normally  shines through over time, regardless of other considerations, hence why the best penalty takers are usually the ones with great technique, even when they're under pressure. This doesn't happen with Obertan, he loses possession over and over and over again.

I'm not convinced by this theory that Obertan has great technique. Technique normally  shines through over time, regardless of other considerations, hence why the best penalty takers are usually the ones with great technique, even when they're under pressure. This doesn't happen with Obertan, he loses possession over and over and over again.

Aye. Obertan should really be English. He's of the modern breed of player who are athletic but don't know how to use the ball. We're growing so accustomed to these players we're letting them get away with murder.

This is probably a case of a player being/playing really bad then going away for a while and some people forgetting how bad he is/was.

His technique is awful, as I said on a previous page. Obviously he has no footballing brain, which is what effects his skill on the ball. He makes the wrong choice on almost every occasion and on all the other occasions he doesn't deliver.

When he scored at Blackburn the pass made the decision for him and because his mind was made up early he ended up doing everything correct.

Anyway, to cut things short. He can play as a sub but he has no potential or future at this club.

Guest Tyson

Obertan's 1st touch & control (when running at pace) is poor. That's bread & butter stuff, and a necessity for any attacking wideman, where forward hold-up play (ie. drawing-in an extra defender, creating an overlap out wide) is a significant & vital part of any teams' ability to create an extra phase of play in attack.

Re: his first touch & control. This may sound harsh, but he's the wide attacking version of Simpson.

Watch him in a warm-up when there is no pressure.