NUFC transfer rumours in the press

JH

@CaulkinTheTimes 23m

Nowt doing at #Nufc at moment. Unlikely to be movement until next month and doubt there'll be much. Striker(s) priority. The rest is noise.

@CaulkinTheTimes 19m

Rightly or not, club feel did main business in Jan (now no Europe to stretch). Main job is keep best players, addition or 2 and then gel.

@fnafilms 17m

@CaulkinTheTimes Are they going to "thin" the squad again though (ie get rid of squad players like Willo or Perch etc)?

@CaulkinTheTimes 8m

@fnafilms I don't know that for a fact, but from what I've read it sounds like it. Hope Perch stays in particular.

Like clock work.

All the local journos seem to be coming out with the same noises. I know a lot of people feel we need a lot more players but personally if we only sign a forward and a cb as long as we didnt lose anyone and the signings were of adequate quality I would view it as a successful window.

We badly need wide players (at least 2 for my liking) as our current options are some of the worst in the league bar Ben Arfa.

Guest taps01

No surprise there. Pardew said as much after Sissoko, etc, came in. "We've brought summer spending forward."

Tbf I don't think we need a great influx of players.

Depends what your ambitions are. We are at least 4 quality players short.

I disagree I think we only need a striker, a cb and a winger to fill out the squad and hopefully two of these positions are sorted this summer. However  we cant afford lose anyone otherwise its a case of two steps forward.....

Where's the logic in thinning the squad when the manager has been complaining about the size of the squad all season? Sure we don't have the Europa League, but unless the intention is to bomb out of the domestic cups at the first possible opportunity I'm not sure why our injury situation will suddenly be great again. Williamson and Perch for example have played loads of matches in recent seasons, Europe or no Europe.

Where's the logic in thinning the squad when the manager has been complaining about the size of the squad all season? Sure we don't have the Europa League, but unless the intention is to bomb out of the domestic cups at the first possible opportunity I'm not sure why our injury situation will suddenly be great again. Williamson and Perch have played loads of matches in recent seasons, Europe or no Europe.

As if we'll take the cups seriously. We haven't in 5 years of Ashley.

Guest taps01

@CaulkinTheTimes 23m

Nowt doing at #Nufc at moment. Unlikely to be movement until next month and doubt there'll be much. Striker(s) priority. The rest is noise.

@CaulkinTheTimes 19m

Rightly or not, club feel did main business in Jan (now no Europe to stretch). Main job is keep best players, addition or 2 and then gel.

@fnafilms 17m

@CaulkinTheTimes Are they going to "thin" the squad again though (ie get rid of squad players like Willo or Perch etc)?

@CaulkinTheTimes 8m

@fnafilms I don't know that for a fact, but from what I've read it sounds like it. Hope Perch stays in particular.

Like clock work.

All the local journos seem to be coming out with the same noises. I know a lot of people feel we need a lot more players but personally if we only sign a forward and a cb as long as we didnt lose anyone and the signings were of adequate quality I would view it as a successful window.

We badly need wide players (at least 2 for my liking) as our current options are some of the worst in the league bar Ben Arfa.

I'm not denying that but how often do you get the perfect window! I'd just be happy with a couple of signings and not losing anyone as that will mean we have strengthened. 

Where's the logic in thinning the squad when the manager has been complaining about the size of the squad all season? Sure we don't have the Europa League, but unless the intention is to bomb out of the domestic cups at the first possible opportunity I'm not sure why our injury situation will suddenly be great again. Williamson and Perch have played loads of matches in recent seasons, Europe or no Europe.

But we all know that is essentially the plan, and has been under Pardew. Europe was different, the board felt it gave us prestige around the continent and maybe it would have if we finished in the top 8 again.

@CaulkinTheTimes 23m

@CaulkinTheTimes 19m

@fnafilms 17m

@CaulkinTheTimes 8m

Like clock work.

Yeah, that's about the only position I'd say we're desperately short in. There's only one out-and-out winger in the squad and that's Obertan. Jonas, Marveaux, Ferguson, Sammy - even Ben Arfa: they're either too young, shit, or wasted as an orthodox winger. I wouldn't want us to start with a 4-4-2 most of the time, but we do need a decent winger for when the situation calls for it.

Other than that, depth up front and no outgoings (bar perhaps the odd ultra-expendable player, like Gosling) and I'd be satisfied.

@CaulkinTheTimes 23m

@CaulkinTheTimes 19m

@fnafilms 17m

@CaulkinTheTimes 8m

Like clock work.

I'm not denying that but how often do you get the perfect window! I'd just be happy with a couple of signings and not losing anyone as that will mean we have strengthened. 

It's not about being a perfect window though. It's been a problem for quite a while and yet it's not even being made a priority.

40 matches then? Should be good to go, maybe we could try and qualify for...

Nah forget it. Ambition is fucking nil.

Where's the logic in thinning the squad when the manager has been complaining about the size of the squad all season? Sure we don't have the Europa League, but unless the intention is to bomb out of the domestic cups at the first possible opportunity I'm not sure why our injury situation will suddenly be great again. Williamson and Perch for example have played loads of matches in recent seasons, Europe or no Europe.

Short term financial gains of course.

No money in the cups either.

40 matches then? Should be good to go, maybe we could try and qualify for...

Nah forget it. Ambition is fucking nil.

Begs the question: If we qualify for the Europa again...do we keep Pardew? :lol:

Cups are for the kids to get a run out before for their move up to the first team... as they should be.

Gosling is really the only surplus-to-requirements player in the squad at the moment, sadly.

Agreed. If he's still getting games ahead of Anita and Bigirimana next season I'll be pissed off. The guy has nothing.

Gosling is really the only surplus-to-requirements player in the squad at the moment.

Obertan will never make the grade at Newcastle, if he's on even mediocre money it's a waste.

Don't get me wrong, Obertan is a waste of time. But he's also one of the only true wide players with pace we have at the moment. It's pathetic. :lol:

Be interesting to see just how much is invested, not convinced it will be a lot, if Colo stays I doubt we will even go after Douglas and he is a free agent.

Hasn't he already agreed a pre-contract with someone? Probably safe to say that's dead in the water - we'd have probably been in for him the moment the season ended.

Gosling is really the only surplus-to-requirements player in the squad at the moment.

Obertan will never make the grade at Newcastle, if he's on even mediocre money it's a waste.

Don't get me wrong, Obertan is a waste of time. But he's also one of the only true wide players with pace we have at the moment. It's pathetic. :lol:

I'd have no real issues with keeping him in the squad providing he was at least third choice, or something. It'd just be nice to have a big squad for a change. I'd say he's probably better than Sammy, anyway.

That being said, if someone was daft enough to give us what we paid, it'd be no great loss.

Be interesting to see just how much is invested, not convinced it will be a lot, if Colo stays I doubt we will even go after Douglas and he is a free agent.

Hasn't he already agreed a pre-contract with someone? Probably safe to say that's dead in the water - we'd have probably been in for him the moment the season ended.

Been linked with Lazio, not sure if any this is agreed though.