Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Its may not be as bad as gambling to us but surely if he is such a devoted Muslim to have an issue with wearing a Wonga sponsored shirt then he would/should also have a real issue towards gambling?

He wouldn't be the first religious person to disregard one part of scripture but feel strongly about another. It's open for interpretation. All religion is.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnbr86hTpk1qh59n0o1_500.png

Its may not be as bad as gambling to us but surely if he is such a devoted Muslim to have an issue with wearing a Wonga sponsored shirt then he would/should also have a real issue towards gambling?

Ultimately everybody has different thresholds, some will commit some sins yet refrain from others

Just to make it clear both interest and gambling is forbidden in Islam, it's not a grey area BUT very clear cut

Surely the vast majority of people who consume alcohol or gamble do so because it's a hobby, and they manage to have it not become a problem.

Wonga and similar pay day loan companies, on the other hand, are services only used by people when they are absolutely desperate, and which frequently result in the borrower getting into way, way more trouble.

They are an internet equivalent of local loan sharks of days gone by.

The concept of higher interest rates for riskier borrowers (and let's not forget, with credit scoring, it is quite easy to become considered a financial pariah through no real fault of your own these days) isn't what people object to with companies like Wonga, it is the immoral levels of interest they charge.

People might say "can't afford it, then don't borrow it" but that totally misses the point - people borrow from them because they have no other option. It's not like people with choice think "I need to borrow some cash, think I'll try Wonga first".

I just think Cisse would put in a transfer request if he wanted to go, rather than go through this nightmare-ish legal/ethical process. What would be the point? If a player wants to leave, he puts in a transfer request (or ask his agent to start pimping him around in the press).

I don't know which part of the Islamic ethical code the Wonga deal goes against. What does his gambling have anything to do with anything? How is that exploiting the poor?

Well its stupid because he wore a bank sponsor last season... anyway until there are actual quotes from cisse this is probably bullshit

That just doesn't hold any water for me. I wouldn't put banks and Wonga in the same category, certainly not from an ethical point of view.

If it's on religious ground then they are the same, it's the interest earned regardless of how much.

As explained before banks like Virgin money offer no interest loans to muslims.

Irrelevant

From a religious point of view, it is the interest that is forbidden

I'm no fan of Wonga BUT from a religious point of view there isn't a great deal of difference between Wonga and Virgin Money

Thats what I'm saying, banks have loans that have no interest, tailored for the Muslim population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_banking

Wonga is a toilet of a company. They prey on the vulnerable. It's not on the same level as gambling/your regular high street bank. Having a moral objection to it doesn't make you a hypocrite unless you own and operate a pay day loan company yourself.

Some of our fans need to get a grip tbh.

This, would be nice for our fans to show some support for one of our most loyal players at least until we know all the details and the consequences.

Most loyal players ? been here a season and a half, he had plenty of time to raise the issue with the club before he deal was sealed.

I am not chuffed to see the Wonga logo on our shirts but they are hardly the biggest scum on earth, they offer a service for a price.. welcome to the real world!

Been a few issues at my uni lately because some of the international students doing entrance English Language exams over the past few weeks refused to do the exam because we were using our venue as an exam hall, just cos it has a bar in it and it's a club etc.

Dunno whether or not that's really relevant but it does show that this kind of thing can be an issue that nobody considers.

I just think Cisse would put in a transfer request if he wanted to go, rather than go through this nightmare-ish legal/ethical process. What would be the point? If a player wants to leave, he puts in a transfer request (or ask his agent to start pimping him around in the press).

I don't know which part of the Islamic ethical code the Wonga deal goes against. What does his gambling have anything to do with anything? How is that exploiting the poor?

Well its stupid because he wore a bank sponsor last season... anyway until there are actual quotes from cisse this is probably bullshit

That just doesn't hold any water for me. I wouldn't put banks and Wonga in the same category, certainly not from an ethical point of view.

If it's on religious ground then they are the same, it's the interest earned regardless of how much.

Do they? Have any links from virgin for that?

Upon request. Very few banks advertise they offer it, it's only available upon request.

Ultimately everybody has different thresholds, some will commit some sins yet refrain from others

Just to make it clear both interest and gambling is forbidden in Islam, it's not a grey area BUT very clear cut

Islam also endorses the subjugation of women, the Bible tells believers to kill non-believers. The fact is, modern religion depends on interpretation, so it's not up to us to dictate to Cisse which parts of Islam to hold dear.

Irrelevant

I'm no fan of Wonga BUT from a religious point of view there isn't a great deal of difference between Wonga and Virgin Money

Thats what I'm saying, banks have loans that have no interest, tailored for the Muslim population.

Virgin arent an Islamic bank.

Upon request. Very few banks advertise they offer it, it's only available upon request.

No they offer Islamic bank accounts, not loans.

Wonga is a toilet of a company. They prey on the vulnerable. It's not on the same level as gambling/your regular high street bank. Having a moral objection to it doesn't make you a hypocrite unless you own and operate a pay day loan company yourself.

You're right, Gambling ruins far more lives (as does drink btw) and high street banks tend to be the folks who drive the vulnerable to the likes of Wonga, not to mention taking homes away, defrauding folks via PPI, illegal overdraft charges dodged on a technicality etc etc etc

It's absolute bollocks to condemn Wonga and give the others a free pass.

Guest neesy111

he had plenty of time to raise the issue with the club before he deal was sealed.

I didn't realise Cisse was doing the negotiating for the deal.

Surely the vast majority of people who consume alcohol or gamble do so because it's a hobby, and they manage to have it not become a problem.

Wonga and similar pay day loan companies, on the other hand, are services only used by people when they are absolutely desperate, and which frequently result in the borrower getting into way, way more trouble.

They are an internet equivalent of local loan sharks of days gone by.

The concept of higher interest rates for riskier borrowers (and let's not forget, with credit scoring, it is quite easy to become considered a financial pariah through no real fault of your own these days) isn't what people object to with companies like Wonga, it is the immoral levels of interest they charge.

People might say "can't afford it, then don't borrow it" but that totally misses the point - people borrow from them because they have no other option. It's not like people with choice think "I need to borrow some cash, think I'll try Wonga first".

True true

Irrelevant

No but the services are provided upon request.

Irrelevant

Again it's irrelevant when it comes to the religious point of view

The vast, vast majority of what Virgin Money do involves interest

You're right, Gambling ruins far more lives (as does drink btw) and high street banks tend to be the folks who drive the vulnerable to the likes of Wonga, not to mention taking homes away, defrauding folks via PPI, illegal overdraft charges dodged on a technicality etc etc etc

Nee cunt is giving them a free pass. Wonga, though, are wankers.

Someone with perspective.

This, would be nice for our fans to show some support for one of our most loyal players at least until we know all the details and the consequences.

Most loyal players ? been here a season and a half, he had plenty of time to raise the issue with the club before he deal was sealed.

I am not chuffed to see the Wonga logo on our shirts but they are hardly the biggest scum on earth, they offer a service for a price.. welcome to the real world!

So you know he hasn't raised the issue before then?

ALL banks have special accounts for Muslims, the gain no interest on savings, pay no interest on loans and I have no idea if they receive charges if the go overdrawn or not.

Irrelevant

No but the services are provided upon request.

Not interest free loans.