Feeder teams

Beren

I would prefer that the big clubs were just forced to take on a more limited group of players tbh. It sounds fairly retarded on paper, but why not stop teams taking on more than x amount of players under y age. I'm sure we could work out a more extensive version of this rule.

I mean, you could simply make the registered squad size a little larger, but say you have to register EVERY player. Or cap their salary or something.

That would be great tbh. Sure Arsenal had something like 80 regestered players last season, you could probably get 3 teams out of that.

Comes back to the loan system again. Cap the number of loans clubs can send out/receive (as well as none in the same division, none over 21 etc etc) and you may see the squad sizes come down. Kids will be faced with a choice - do they back themselves to fight their way through at a club like, say, Arsenal, or do they move to (or stay with) a smaller team, with more opportunities to play.

If Barcelona B play in the equivalent of the Championship what happens if they get promoted???? Then 2 Barcelonas in the top flight which would have serious implications when they played each other from a match fixing point of view.

They cannot be promoted.

If Barcelona B play in the equivalent of the Championship what happens if they get promoted???? Then 2 Barcelonas in the top flight which would have serious implications when they played each other from a match fixing point of view.

They cannot be promoted.

Yup.

There was a time where they could, which let to a lot of weird situations until the system was regularized. Barça B promoted to the Spanish first division (we were forced to severe our ties with them), Real Madrid playing a cup final against their B team...

I think we should just generally scrap the reserve team. Either a player plays for the u-18 side, plays for the main team or goes out on loan. It's absolutely pointless to run a reserve league which seems to deliver nothing to up and coming players. Especially when England has 27 levels of competitive football, all reserve players should be able to find a club to go out on loan to which actually plays in a league that has some meaning.

They cannot be promoted.

So how is that more competitive than reserve team leagues??????

They cannot be promoted.

So how is that more competitive than reserve team leagues??????

Spanish B teams can't play in the same division as their senior teams. They can be promoted or relegated as long as this restriction is met.

Only a problem because big clubs squat on talent, ruining them often. There need to be significant overhauls in how we bring young players through, but if anything need to limit how many players a club can have, as long as it doesn't put off clubs running proper academies etc

I think we should just generally scrap the reserve team. Either a player plays for the u-18 side, plays for the main team or goes out on loan. It's absolutely pointless to run a reserve league which seems to deliver nothing to up and coming players. Especially when England has 27 levels of competitive football, all reserve players should be able to find a club to go out on loan to which actually plays in a league that has some meaning.

That's what Spurs have done.

We have players loaned out to non-league (Bishops Stortford), Premier League (Swansea and Norwich) and all leagues in between and abroad as well.

The Reserve League is simply a waste of time and does nothing to help a player's development 

in a purely cold logical standpoint its a good idea, however the day football becomes simply cold and logical is a dark one indeed

obviously there needs to be some reform of the reserve league but this isn't the answer, one thing I'd think to reform the reserve level at least at prem level is to keep it as one league rather than the current split one

also while checking it out I didn't realise City haven't entered the reserve league which I personally find strange

Good response.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16659835.stm

"The suggestion is frankly offensive," Williamson said.

"Our clubs are constituted as sovereign entities which represent their town or city with pride, rather than being a subsidiary of another club in another part of the country," he continued.

"These are senior professional football matches that matter - they are not just platforms for developing other clubs' players."

Only problem with loaning out is if you want players to grow up within an ethos / playing style throughout their development, and equally when dealing with 16 year olds you may be trying to bring up hard to send them off to another part of the country rather

What if we could buy Darlington and support them as a daughter club? This would allow them to survive and we could send out players freely during windows as many as we wanted. It would cost them nothing as we'd be paying the wages and it allows a club to survive. Bit half baked suggestion, but might be some legs in it.

would require a massive change of rules to allow it I'd say since I recall some rule against the same person/organisation owning 2 different clubs not to mention restrictions on the amount of loans a club can have. But certainly any big club in a locality should so as much as possible to help out the smaller ones around it as much as permissible

Isn't the current system a bit of leveler?

Join the Man U or Arsenal academy if you like, but your chance of getting the high level football you'll need to develop is limited.

That might be the case but to my mind that's levelling our youngsters down.  They have a choice of joining a team where they likely won't get the competitive football they need but top class facilities and training or joining a team where they'll get the game time but with a much lower standard of coaches and facilities.

Both these options will limit a players development so the choice is essentially damage limitation.  B teams would allow young players to get the best of both worlds raising both the overall standard of the league and of our national team.

Just for arguments sake, what would happen if Barca got relegated and their B team finished top of the Segunda?

The B team would be relegated.

edit:  I think anyway, I believe b teams can't be in a higher division than their senior side.

It's a disgusting idea. Again it would be just anothr way of benefiting a select few clubs whilst pissing all over the majority of footbal clubs in this country.

There are many problems that this would bring and one which I dont think has been mentioned yet is attendances. B-teams would probably only get a few 100 fans whilst the away support would be zero. What does that do to the crediblity of the league?

Thankfully I can never see it happening. Whilst the tossers at the FA might be in favour, the Fotball League has nothing to gain from this and would surelý veto it. And how would it be handled? Would the FL say to say Blackpool Watford and Barnsley, sorry you are relegated, Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool are taking your place.

would require a massive change of rules to allow it I'd say since I recall some rule against the same person/organisation owning 2 different clubs not to mention restrictions on the amount of loans a club can have. But certainly any big club in a locality should so as much as possible to help out the smaller ones around it as much as permissible

Who actually owns the B&W's is it Ashley, Sports Direct ,  a holding company or NUFC with Llambias as the front man even though we  know Ashley pulls the strings, thinking out loud appears to me that Darlo could become a subsiduary of Sports Direct with a new chairman running things,plenty of companies out acting as subsiduarys such as Thomson Holidays, etc etc in which the mother ship is TUI but is allowed to operate independently,so I think these issue'scan be circumvented.

What's to stop a premier league team having their feeder club in another country?

Not much it seems, with the Belgian team, Royal Antwerp being Man Utd's feeder club. A quick check of their wiki page (I know, not the most exhaustive place to search), shows 31 players loaned to them over the years (including: Simpson, OShea, Wallwork, Chadwick, Ebanks-Blake, Evans, Cathcart, Shawcross).

I would prefer that the big clubs were just forced to take on a more limited group of players tbh. It sounds fairly retarded on paper, but why not stop teams taking on more than x amount of players under y age. I'm sure we could work out a more extensive version of this rule.

I mean, you could simply make the registered squad size a little larger, but say you have to register EVERY player. Or cap their salary or something.

That would be great tbh. Sure Arsenal had something like 80 regestered players last season, you could probably get 3 teams out of that.

Comes back to the loan system again. Cap the number of loans clubs can send out/receive (as well as none in the same division, none over 21 etc etc) and you may see the squad sizes come down. Kids will be faced with a choice - do they back themselves to fight their way through at a club like, say, Arsenal, or do they move to (or stay with) a smaller team, with more opportunities to play.

Great post leffe.

I know a few lads who have played academy football.

Some chose the 'bigger' teams.

Newcastle, Boro etc and have quickly found themselves on the slag heap aged 18.

The brighter one's who thought i've more chance lower down are still there.

Coincidence?