Adrian Mariappa stays at Watford

Skirge

Still think it's a total farce we haven't signed any backup at CB. Absolutely guarenteed to cost us points.

The extra the wanted is basically worth a single place in the league for prize money. If we need to play Perch for more than a handful of games then we'll slip.

I can totally understand not being held to ransom over transfers. If a club is taking the p*ss and wanting far more money than the player is worth then we need to keep on walking away....But if we're talking a few hundred grand then we need to bite the bullet and pay. Had it been a few million on a big transfer then fair enough - this is (relative) peanuts. :hmm:

To be fair if the club really do have one (or two) of the players we've seen mentioned lined up to come in during the summer then I can understand the reluctance to not waste cash on a centre back now. It could effectively be £2 million down the drain if whoever we buy is immediately fourth or fifth choice in six months time.

I do think it's daft the club have decided the loan market is a waste of time and money mind.

Fair point :thup:

Just hope not signing an CB doesn't cost us.

Me too :lol:

add me in. exactly how i sees it.

Asked after the game about Mariappa, Dyche said: “I will tell you one thing – exceptional. To see someone have a day like him, although it is not over yet, with friends and agents ringing him, to see his focus tonight shows what he is – an immaculate professional.

“There is an hour, one minute and 20 seconds left of the transfer window but I don’t know and I’m not watching the clock at all.”

When asked how close Mariappa came to leaving, Dyche replied: “That is not my decision, that is the business end of the market so I don’t know until I have spoken to the owner and the board tomorrow.”

Dyche was speaking at around 10pm and he was clearly aware of the time when addressing the media.

“There is an hour, one minute and 20 seconds left of the transfer window but I don’t know and I’m not watching the clock at all,” Dyche joked.

“I am going to lock him in a cupboard and turn all the phones off.”

Those who are saying "I can see why we wouldn't want to waste £2m" do you not think we could get that back? We could still very realistically sign a quality centre back in the summer and sell the least effective for around the price we signed Mariappa at.

Guest VaVaVoom

Those who are saying "I can see why we wouldn't want to waste £2m" do you not think we could get that back? We could still very realistically sign a quality centre back in the summer and sell the least effective for around the price we signed Mariappa at.

In FM aye.

Yeah but why pay market price for a player when some other player will be on a free/agents fees jobby?

The argument of "what happens when we buy an expensive top class centre half in the summer" is bizarre imo. Apart from the fact that it won't happen, why do we need to? I'm more than happy to continue with Colo and Taylor at our first choice pairing with Williamson and A.N. Other Half Decent Player to cover. Am I missing something? ???

I would actually look at selling S.Taylor this summer. Yes, he's our second best CB, but he's a liability with all his long term injuries, and we should be able to get a decent sum for him. Colo & new CB as first choice with Mariappa and Williamson second.

The argument of "what happens when we buy an expensive top class centre half in the summer" is bizarre imo. Apart from the fact that it won't happen, why do we need to? I'm more than happy to continue with Colo and Taylor at our first choice pairing with Williamson and A.N. Other Half Decent Player to cover. Am I missing something? ???

:thup:

from what i've seen someone like mbwia would be an upgrade on both and thats what we want isn't it ?

In FM aye.

So we wouldn't find a buyer for Williamson or Mariappa for £2m?

In FM aye.

So we wouldn't find a buyer for Williamson or Mariappa for £2m?

yes at the fee, however the sticking point is more often the wages.

But if we don't sign a player for £2m we can still sell our least effective defender in the summer for £2m. Do this every season. Free £2m every season. Infinite money.

But if we don't sign a player for £2m we can still sell our least effective defender in the summer for £2m. Do this every season. Free £2m every season. Infinite money.

:lol:

3 minutes.

from what i've seen someone like mbwia would be an upgrade on both and thats what we want isn't it ?

More chance of signing quality players if we can push for that 4th place by not hoying points down the drain by playing Perch and I would argue that there are positions in the first team that need strengthening long before centre half does, especially when we reach summer and players inevitably get sold. I'd rather have signed this bloke and subsequently not have to play Danny Simpson in every single game next year.