Adrian Mariappa stays at Watford

Skirge

Guest VaVaVoom

If we get him as 4th choice now, we could possibly sell Williamson in the summer, reckon we could get £2-3m for him now, and still go for someone like Douglas in the summer leaving us with Coloccini, Taylor, newbie, Marriappa.

yeah that would work, just as long as we keep bringing in young and hopefuls. Ideally a ball player on the right side to compliment colo

No. That wouldnt work. Coloccini is a ball player.

Would have to be a no-nonsense CB.

Dead in the water then. Shame, I was keen on signing him TBH. Just think it is risky as fuck going now until the end of the season with a class centre back, an increasingly dodgy one and a championship defensive mid/full back as our options at centre half.

Not even agreed a deal with Watford and guessing we never upped our bid anyway. About 0% chance of this happening.

Guest Dontooner

It would be great if we had another...the problem is when Colo is out...we look pretty average from the back when it comes to possession or moving the ball forward.

My main concern beside having to rely on f***ing James Perch if something happens to either Colo or Williamson is that we won't really have an answer to pacey strikers. By now I reckon every manager in the league has cottoned on to the idea that if WBA and Fulham can make us look very average by just bringing on a fast striker, everybody can. So even if we are lucky not to get injuries to our two fit centre backs, what are we going to do if the opposition put a speed merchant up top?

Guest VaVaVoom

If we can get a bit of luck and keep Colo and Williamson fit till the end of the season, we will be alrite next year what with Saylor back and a new lad. Probably M'Biwa.

My main concern beside having to rely on f***ing James Perch if something happens to either Colo or Williamson is that we won't really have an answer to pacey strikers. By now I reckon every manager in the league has cottoned on to the idea that if WBA and Fulham can make us look very average by just bringing on a fast striker, so even if we are lucky not to get injuries to our two fit centre backs, what are we going to do if the opposition put a speed merchant up top?

Something already has happened to Colo (and more long term) Williamson this year.  We are bound to suffer injuries to one, the other or both between now and the end of the season.  To not bring in someone at least on loan, and to loan out a promising young defender on the same day is fucking crackers.

Won't finish top 7 if Colo/Williamson gets injured and have to put Perch in there, nowhere near this level. Bad enough having Simpson in the team.

Could do with someone with pace in there for when we are being raped by fast players

My main concern beside having to rely on fucking James Perch if something happens to either Colo or Williamson is that we won't really have an answer to pacey strikers. By now I reckon every manager in the league has cottoned on to the idea that if WBA and Fulham can make us look very average by just bringing on a fast striker, so even if we are lucky not to get injuries to our two fit centre backs, what are we going to do if the opposition put a speed merchant up top?

We are vulnerable to that even with Williamson and Colo in the side, meaning we can't really sustain a high line or we'll be punished. And when one of Colo or Williamson's out we're vulnerable to both that AND defending crosses, meaning we can't push up or defend deep without having our weakness exposed. Would be crazy to not bring in another defender imo.

My main concern beside having to rely on f***ing James Perch if something happens to either Colo or Williamson is that we won't really have an answer to pacey strikers. By now I reckon every manager in the league has cottoned on to the idea that if WBA and Fulham can make us look very average by just bringing on a fast striker, so even if we are lucky not to get injuries to our two fit centre backs, what are we going to do if the opposition put a speed merchant up top?

We are vulnerable to that even with Williamson and Colo in the side, meaning we can't really sustain a high line or we'll be punished. And when one of Colo or Williamson's out we're vulnerable to both that AND defending crosses, meaning we can't push up or defend deep without having our weakness exposed. Would be crazy to not bring in another defender imo.

That was my point. We are already very vulnerable to pace and we can't respond to the opposition bringing on (or even starting) a fast striker, except drop deep and hope for the best.  For me bringing in defensive cover with pace is (was?) crucial not only for the numbers in the squad, but also to counter a very specific threat that we are currently far to exposed to.

Guest VaVaVoom

Not bringing in "good" cover at CB is risky to say the least. Could well be a mistake.

Just got to hope we get a bit of luck on the injury front or Pardew may be forced into giving Kadar a go. Maybe even young Streete.

Really good centre halves know when to play and when to hoof it, and I include Colo in that.

Yup. Baresi was the master at it.

Not bringing in "good" cover at CB is risky to say the least. Could well be a mistake.

Just got to hope we get a bit of luck on the injury front or Pardew may be forced into giving Kadar a go. Maybe even young Streete.

Streete just got injured for the reserves

If we get him as 4th choice now, we could possibly sell Williamson in the summer, reckon we could get £2-3m for him now, and still go for someone like Douglas in the summer leaving us with Coloccini, Taylor, newbie, Marriappa.

yeah that would work, just as long as we keep bringing in young and hopefuls. Ideally a ball player on the right side to compliment colo

what crap.

no reason why two defenders comfortable on the ball can't play alongside each other. it's their defensive attributes that need to be paired and well-matched, not their ball control or passing ability.

just so happens that most successful partnerships have one player better on the ball and one who is more about power or strength or pace which has led people to wrongly assume one defender must for some inexplicable reason be poor on the ball.

Guest VaVaVoom

Unlucky for the lad. Serious?

The good news just keeps on coming.

Unlucky for the lad. Serious?

Groin