sunderland

JH

Guest Haris Vuckic

The simple question would be-

'What evidence in the last 30 years can you provide that would support the idea that Sunderland are a big club and how does this counteract the evidence to the contrary'

Post WW2 Sunderland have won one trophy - even that was a massive, massive shock. Nobody cares about league titles in the 1800s.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Anything pre-premier league bears little relevance tbh.

'History' is history & Man City/Chelsea's histories was way poorer than ours but now people wouldn't think twice about calling them the bigger club - and this is before Man City even won anything - the money & big signings take effect.

Anything pre-premier league bears little relevance tbh.

'History' is history & Man City/Chelsea's histories was way poorer than ours but now people wouldn't think twice about calling them the bigger club - and this is before Man City even won anything - the money & big signings take effect.

:kasper:

If I was ten or 20 years younger I would be tending to agree tbh. From first going in the 70s the game has changed beyond all recognition , mostly for the better.

Oh god not the 'what makes a club big' debate again!  To be honest it's a completely impossible debate for anyone to win, it's totally subjective.

yes.....................and no. as someone on there pointed out, no sane person is going to say huddersfield are bigger than spurs.

I do find it strange that football differs to all other areas when it comes to who is the biggest. For me it should just go off people through turnstiles/shirt sales/TV subscribers, something tangible with regards to number of fans, simple as that. I can't think of any other area where it's not a question of who has the most fans/sells the most things.

For example biggest car company is the one that sells the most cars.

Same for music, might not always be an indicator of how good the artist is but the number of fans/records sold is the answer to who is the biggest band/Artist.

Big Club to me is your current stature in the game, your fan base, finances & spending power, facilities, current squad & global attraction etc. Historical success has no bearing unless it actually effects any of those things imo (Liverpool are a good example of this).

I do find it strange that football differs to all other areas when it comes to who is the biggest. For me it should just go off people through turnstiles/shirt sales/TV subscribers, something tangible with regards to number of fans, simple as that. I can't think of any other area where it's not a question of who has the most fans/sells the most things.

For example biggest car company is the one that sells the most cars.

Same for music, might not always be an indicator of how good the artist is but the number of fans/records sold is the answer to who is the biggest band/Artist.

I'd consider the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes 'bigger' car companies than most others btw, they don't sell the most cars...

Also you'll get some absolute shite that that have sold more records (especially recently) than some absolutely massive all-time artists.

In answer to the question who out of them and us has the highest league attendance record:

allow me to help you there ned, i believe its sunderland with a record home crowd of 76,000. that's 69,000 more than newcastle's record crowd of 7,000 against wrexham, but who's counting.

newcastle's was obviously a different type of record but a record nonetheless.

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=707430&page=15#ixzz1xCNQD6c6

:idiot2:

Their special way of turning the Stadium of Shite into a fortress.. :lol:

villa have changed dugouts to be closer to the holte end,we should do the same imo so marty's closer to the s/s.iv'e said this in a previous post just so neebody thinks i'me a copycat. any way we can gain an advantage has to be beneficial surely in making the ssol a fortress, anyone agree then?

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=707562#ixzz1xCTJOktG

In answer to the question who out of them and us has the highest league attendance record:

allow me to help you there ned, i believe its sunderland with a record home crowd of 76,000. that's 69,000 more than newcastle's record crowd of 7,000 against wrexham, but who's counting.

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=707430&page=15#ixzz1xCNQD6c6

Comparing our lowest attendance with their highest.  Well, that's one way of managing to come out on top :lol:

Can we compare our 68,386 attendance against Chelsea in 1930 against their 8,003 attendance vs Plymouth in 1989?  Or their 6,904 against Barnsley in the FM Cup in 86?

Comparing our lowest attendance with their highest.  Well, that's one way of managing to come out on top :lol:

Can we compare our 68,386 attendance against Chelsea in 1930 against their 8,003 attendance vs Plymouth in 1989?  Or their 6,904 against Barnsley in the FM Cup in 86?

They're just completely barking mad.. :lol:

Guest Haris Vuckic

For that Wrexham attendance - I think...

A. We were already relegated

B. It was a replay (for some reason or other, failed floodlights?)

C. The ground was getting redeveloped, they'd knocked down the Milburn etc etc