sunderland

JH

Fletcher is half decent but is very 'meh' to me. Would be disappointed if we forked out 14 million quid for him. 

I would be mortified :lol:

The thing they should be most worried about is that MON has learned absolutely nothing, and is making the same expensive moves he always has done.

It's not so much about 14m for Fletcher being over the top, it is that it's a lazy signing - uk based, too much, big money etc etc, in other words, exactly like I've been banging on about for ages.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showpost.php?p=13281816&postcount=99

:lol: The first line :lol:

Anyone who thinks this is a good singing is moronic.

I'd rather have Johnson than Obertan tbh.

This is isn't football manager, Johnson wouldn't be any more than a squad player for us.

To be fair, I think he wouldn't look out of place in our first 11. We don't need him as we have other, comparable options, but if we were looking for a winger I wouldn't mind him. As for the mackems, he's much better than anything they've got, so definitely a good signing for them.

That's the point really we are very well stocked in midfield and in wide areas. We would have to drop either Jonas in 4-4-2 or Demba in a 4-3-3 and neither would happen.

There's other priorities than get an expensive bench player.

Great signing for them though if it happens as is Fletcher despite the over the top fee, had them down for relegation before think i might rethink that.

Why?

You have to ask why paying £14m for Fletcher isn't moronic?

£14m...

£14m...

:kinnear:

Guest reefatoon

I'd rather have Johnson than Obertan tbh.

This is isn't football manager, Johnson wouldn't be any more than a squad player for us.

To be fair, I think he wouldn't look out of place in our first 11. We don't need him as we have other, comparable options, but if we were looking for a winger I wouldn't mind him. As for the mackems, he's much better than anything they've got, so definitely a good signing for them.

That's the point really we are very well stocked in midfield and in wide areas. We would have to drop either Jonas in 4-4-2 or Demba in a 4-3-3 and neither would happen.

There's other priorities than get an expensive bench player.

Great signing for them though if it happens as is Fletcher despite the over the top fee, had them down for relegation before think i might rethink that.

Hold your horses for now, both Wolves and Boro went down with those playing . . . .

Johnson always struck me as having ability but not much desire. Not a bad signing for Sunderland but I don't think he's going to make that much difference to them in the bigger scheme of things.

10+5 for Johnson ? :lol: (Twitter)

Also rumours he'll be their best ever paid player. Now he would improve them significantly, but they would be paying well over the odds again. Imagine what we could have done with the 30 million they're shelling out on Fletcher and Johnson..

Also rumours he'll be their best ever paid player. Now he would improve them significantly, but they would be paying well over the odds again. Imagine what we could have done with the 30 million they're shelling out on Fletcher and Johnson..

Thing is, that's what they have to do to get decent to good players to go there. I really like both Fletcher and Johnson and while I don't want either here, I think they'll be two of their best players (if Johnson signs) this season and for the next couple. The problem is, when you're signing at such a premium, you're hurting the club financially and stopping it from moving forward properly. The only model that could make Sunderland a top football club would be one where they had an incredibly good scouting system and picked up young players like we're doing. Unfortunately, they have Marty who likes to blow his load all over the place

Thing is, that's what they have to do to get decent to good players to go there. I really like both Fletcher and Johnson and while I don't want either here, I think they'll be two of their best players (if Johnson signs) this season and for the next couple. The problem is, when you're signing at such a premium, you're hurting the club financially and stopping it from moving forward properly. The only model that could make Sunderland a top football club would be one where they had an incredibly good scouting system and picked up young players like we're doing. Unfortunately, they have Marty who likes to blow his load all over the place

Agreed. For a club like them to attract relatively established players they simply have to pay over the odds, especially in terms of wages, for the player to even consider the move. The alternative, spending sensibly and trying to develop younger players doesn't seem to be on the agenda, which has only been aggravated by bringing MON in. They have been reporting operating losses of 30 odd million per year for a few seasons now. The next set of accounts will be absolutely horrific unless they manage to sell one of their players to Liverpool again.

I really just don't get the level of hype Johnson has, he's 25 years of age and all he has to show for it is a good half a season in the Championship and some goals and assists as a peripheral substitute at City, in what way does he deserve a 10 million pound price tag?

It's interesting reading Blue Moon and speaking to City fans compared to opinions on here. The majority acknowledge that he has good technique but is lacking in other areas, he doesn't work hard on or off the pitch with an apparently poor attitude, he has questionable fitness, is too slow, disappears out of matches and has been easily nullified since opposition have figured out what he's all about on that right hand side. He just strikes me as a player who has the odd moment but overall flatters to deceive, a luxury player. Adding to that, he really doesn't seem to fit in to O'Neill's philosophy either. It's interesting looking at who he's going to replace too, which looks to be Larsson, an inferior footballer no doubt but someone who produced well in terms of goals and assists last season, in my opinion it'll statistically be a like for like swap.

Fletcher is someone who I think will improve them though, yes they've paid over the odds but he offers what Bendtner did in terms of overall play and has a higher goal threat as well as being a hard worker. I think with him on board they'll snatch a top half finish.

I really just don't get the level of hype Johnson has, he's 25 years of age and all he has to show for it is a good half a season in the Championship and some goals and assists as a peripheral substitute at City, in what way does he deserve a 10 million pound price tag?

It's interesting reading Blue Moon and speaking to City fans compared to opinions on here. The majority acknowledge that he has good technique but is lacking in other areas, he doesn't work hard on or off the pitch with an apparently poor attitude, he has questionable fitness, is too slow, disappears out of matches and has been easily nullified since opposition have figured out what he's all about on that right hand side. He just strikes me as a player who has the odd moment but overall flatters to deceive, a luxury player. Adding to that, he really doesn't seem to fit in to O'Neill's philosophy either. It's interesting looking at who he's going to replace too, which looks to be Larsson, an inferior footballer no doubt but someone who produced well in terms of goals and assists last season, in my opinion it'll statistically be a like for like swap.

Fletcher is someone who I think will improve them though, yes they've paid over the odds but he offers what Bendtner did in terms of overall play and has a higher goal threat as well as being a hard worker. I think with him on board they'll snatch a top half finish.

I completely agree with you, having said that he's still much better than what they have.

Still got 7 goals in his last two seasons despite being a bit part player for Man City. Also has more pace than you give him credit for.

Really don't what Johnson signing for that rabble, he's far too good for them. Not a world-beater by any means, but too good for them and would help them get a lot of points.

Sessègnon, McClean, Johnson, Fletcher - It's quite a decent lineup tbh. Not stellar, but good enough to worry teams and get results. Certainly good enough for a top-half finish, and considering we're looking at 5-8th, top half for Sunderland is far too close for comfort.

I'm hoping for an 11th hour Spurs bid or something. And then Sessègnon to go as well.

I don't think we're FAR better. We're better, but it's not that clear. They've got a decent GK, they have a decent defence, and now they're threatening to have a very decent midfield and forward line.

They lack depth, but so do we.

I don't think we're FAR better. We're better, but it's not that clear. They've got a decent GK, they have a decent defence, and now they're threatening to have a very decent midfield and forward line.

They lack depth, but so do we.

:serious:

Still got 7 goals in his last two seasons despite being a bit part player for Man City. Also has more pace than you give him credit for.

He's not slow but he's not particularly quick either, so he doesn't really fit in with O'Neill's philosophy there. There were also comments that he has poor decision making too.

Larsson got 7 goals last season and he wasn't playing for the best team in the division, checking last season's 6 in the league for Johnson, they don't really look great all things considered, all came in thumpings against poor opposition (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/55814/adam-johnson?cc=5739). The mackems are a different ball game that require far more input, something he's been noted to not do. To put it simply, he's 25 and has never consistently proven himself at a Premier League club, I don't think he's as significant an improvement as people make out.

With MON in the league it does rather mean a lot of other clubs can make good by selling their middle of the road english players  :lol: I can just see it, quick MON got a job offer him all this turgid crap and we can get some proper players in!

So looks like they're getting Fletcher and Johnson. Decent players, will definitely improve them.

Shame that for the same kind of money we got Cabaye, Ba, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Bigirimana, Amalfitano, Anita, Santon, Gosling, Marveaux and Obertan

Top value-for-money scouting MON!