sunderland

JH

Some views on O'Neill from a Man U forum

someone with even the slightest knowledge of the European market could make them make another step up without spending £100m on players. With O'Neill you will have to give him that £100m to pack the squad with average British players if you want any kind of improvement.

the signings of Cuellar and Saha just look like they're picking up everyone's deadwood.

I would never trust him to build his own side though because he usually goes for wrong players who will only take him to a certain level and not any higher.

Saha will no doubt raise his game for the derbies but as someone else has said will he be able to produce consistently through the cold, dark months. Exactly the type of player I can see bagging a few in the summer/early autumn then getting injured and doing nothing the rest of the season just as people have started talking about what a great signing......................

It's not as terrible a signing as you lot are making out. It's by no means a great one, but he'll stick a few goals away for them. Obviously will be nowhere near as prolific as the great unwashed are making out, and his wages are probably ludicrous, but it's not a horrible signing. If we signed him to be a back-up striker I'd be pretty fine with that - he tore us a new one when we got hammered by Spurs last year.

You sound like them  :lol:

Two things: He had service (which he wont get) and we fell apart that game, even Alan Smith upfront would have put one past us.

Also I think Shola off the bench is a better option than him, at half the price.

It's not as terrible a signing as you lot are making out. It's by no means a great one, but he'll stick a few goals away for them. Obviously will be nowhere near as prolific as the great unwashed are making out, and his wages are probably ludicrous, but it's not a horrible signing. If we signed him to be a back-up striker I'd be pretty fine with that - he tore us a new one when we got hammered by Spurs last year.

Two things: He had service (which he wont get) and we fell apart that game, even Alan Smith upfront would have put one past us.

Also I think Shola off the bench is a better option than him, at half the price.

He still played well in that game, which was my point. He's far from useless. Saha's a better player than Shola, but considering the price comparison there's not much in it for value. My point wasn't necessarily that he's better/worse than Shola, more that we are one squad striker light for this season and there's worse players for that role - not that I'd go and buy him, but if he was presented to me as 3rd/4th choice for our squad I wouldn't weep.

I don't think I sound like them, I despise them just as much as the next person on here, but just as they are prone to silly hyperbole when rubbishing our signings, we can be too. As a football fan, Saha isn't a poor player. He has a poor injury record and will likely be overpriced in terms of wages, but he's not the joke signing that a lot of people on here want him to be just to have another stick to bash the Mackems with. We've already got a lot anyway. I'm not saying they've got one over us, nor does the signing make them any better than mid-table wasters, but call a spade a spade - he's not a bad striker.

He still played well in that game, which was my point. He's far from useless. Saha's a better player than Shola, but considering the price comparison there's not much in it for value. My point wasn't necessarily that he's better/worse than Shola, more that we are one squad striker light for this season and there's worse players for that role - not that I'd go and buy him, but if he was presented to me as 3rd/4th choice for our squad I wouldn't weep.

I don't think I sound like them, I despise them just as much as the next person on here, but just as they are prone to silly hyperbole when rubbishing our signings, we can be too. As a football fan, Saha isn't a poor player. He has a poor injury record and will likely be overpriced in terms of wages, but he's not the joke signing that a lot of people on here want him to be just to have another stick to bash the Mackems with. We've already got a lot anyway. I'm not saying they've got one over us, nor does the signing make them any better than mid-table wasters, but call a spade a spade - he's not a bad striker.

This... If they get the finer details of the deal right then it's a good short-term deal for them...

The thing is, if O'Neill had a scouting network behind him like ours, he'd do a great job. Someone else could recruit good players at a decent price and he could just stick to motivating and getting the best out of him.

The problem is that he's such an egomaniac that he is incapable of seeing his own shortcomings and would never in a million years countenance someone else recruiting players for him. And thank fuck for that.

The thing is, if O'Neill had a scouting network behind him like ours, he'd do a great job. Someone else could recruit good players at a decent price and he could just stick to motivating and getting the best out of him.

The problem is that he's such an egomaniac that he is incapable of seeing his own shortcomings and would never in a million years countenance someone else recruiting players for him. And thank f*** for that.

:snod:

http://i.imgur.com/MEGC5.jpg

Martin O'Neill has bolstered his forward line by completing the signing of French striker Louis Saha.

The 34-year-old, who was a free agent after leaving Tottenham Hotspur, has put pen to paper on a one-year deal at the Stadium of Light.

He is available for selection for Sunderland's trip to the Emirates Stadium to face Arsenal this weekend.

Manager Martin O'Neill said: "Louis is a striker whose abilities have been proven at the very highest level and he brings with him a raft of experience of top-flight football.

"I'm sure he will be a great addition to our squad in an area we recognise needs strengthening and I'm delighted we have been able to complete the deal ahead of our first game of the season."

Saha first arrived in England in 1999 when he joined Newcastle on loan from Metz before heading back to France.

He returned to the UK on a permanent basis in 2000, joining Fulham, and was a big hit at Craven Cottage, scoring 64 goals in 144 games.

Manchester United paid £12.8m for the Paris-born frontman in January 2004 and he chipped in with 42 goals in 124 games for the Red Devils before moving on to Everton in September 2008.

He spent just under three and a half years at Goodison Park, playing 115 games for the Merseyside outfit and finding the net on 35 occasions.

Saha moved south to Tottenham on January transfer deadline day and made 12 appearances for the London club during the second half of the 2011-12, scoring three times before leaving at the end of the campaign.