Who is our leader?

Keefaz

Definately need someone whos able to calm it down. Finds space, takes and recieves a few one/twos. Gets it rolling. Scholes did it endlessly today, its a basic ability for him.

Off topic, I know, but I never would have thought Scholes would get back to that level once again after seeing him 'play' against Man City in January. Thought it'd end up as an embarrassment for him...

Colo by example really, but he isn't nearly vocal enough.

Cabaye certainly can be, he gets very involved, Tiote too. Guttierez seems well respected and talks alot, think he prefers to just play.

Saylor is probably the most vocal, problem is he is a complete moron.

IMO character of the players is more important than being vocal.

Manchester United no longer have the Keane type vocal leader but they have a number of players who fulfil leadership qualities. You have Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand, Vidic & Evra who carry real weight on the pitch and in the dressing room.

It's all about accepting responsibility and stepping it up when needed. Before the last few months I wouldn't have said Bacary Sagna was a leader but the lads determination and grit has shone through, that's what you need. Manchester United have had loads of players like that through the years.

You look at the Spanish world cup winning side. None of them really come across as vocal leaders. But right down the spine you have Casillas, Puyol, Pique, Xavi & Iniesta. All superb players but more importantly dedicated professionals and warriors till the end. The side is littered with strong-willed winners and leaders but none are particularly vocal except Casillas the goalie.

IMO character of the players is more important than being vocal.

Manchester United no longer have the Keane type vocal leader but they have a number of players who fulfil leadership qualities. You have Scholes, Giggs, Ferdinand, Vidic & Evra who carry real weight on the pitch and in the dressing room.

It's all about accepting responsibility and stepping it up when needed. Before the last few months I wouldn't have said Bacary Sagna was a leader but the lads determination and grit has shone through, that's what you need. Manchester United have had loads of players like that through the years.

:thup:

Could it be said that it's one of the few negatives in our scouting system? We do seem to do a lot of background checks on players personality etc. We get a lot of friendly, top pros who appear to be genuine, likeable lads. But is something somewhere in this scouting ruling out players with a bit of extra grit, an edge to them that will help to drag an extra mile out of the rest of the time when needed, to shout and bollock when needed, so on and so forth?

Could it be said that it's one of the few negatives in our scouting system? We do seem to do a lot of background checks on players personality etc. We get a lot of friendly, top pros who appear to be genuine, likeable lads. But is something somewhere in this scouting ruling out players with a bit of extra grit, an edge to them that will help to drag an extra mile out of the rest of the time when needed, to shout and bollock when needed, so on and so forth?

There's no John Terry type at Manchester United, the team is full of leaders.

Vidic is a leader. Ferdinand and Rooney also, to a lesser extent.

Vidic is a leader. Ferdinand and Rooney also, to a lesser extent.

I'd say Giggs, Evra (the vice captain) & Scholes are more leaders than Rooney. None of them are Keane-style but they are definitely leaders and winners. 100% dedicated professionals, who really care about winning, take responsibility and will run till their legs fall off to ensure it who demand the same from their team mates. Strong characters.

You don't need someone who will rant, rave and bollock players all the time. Those are the traits that put nails in Keane's career at Man U. Like I said before, look at the Spainish team, there's maybe 5-6 leaders there and none remind me of Barton in their approach to leadership.

Think it's Steven Taylor once he's back. Could be Simpson if he only had more quality on the pitch. Hard for the likes of Colo, Cabaye or Jonas because of the language...

Yeah, we probably do miss Saylor in this respect (a leader on the pitch). For me, Saylor is a player who is so determined for the cause that he would have no problem putting his body on the line (as in, he would go into a 50/50 tackle and he wouldn't shy away from challenges and all that). So could it be that we're actually missing Saylor's "Super-Geordie" mentality?

Think it's Steven Taylor once he's back. Could be Simpson if he only had more quality on the pitch. Hard for the likes of Colo, Cabaye or Jonas because of the language...

Yeah, we probably do miss Saylor in this respect (a leader on the pitch). For me, Saylor is a player who is so determined for the cause that he would have no problem putting his body on the line (as in, he would go into a 50/50 tackle and he wouldn't shy away from challenges and all that). So could it be that we're actually missing Saylor's "Super-Geordie" mentality?

Aye, you question Williamson/Guthrie's commitment for the point/win sometimes.

Guest BooBoo

I love Colo but he'll never be a captain as long as there's a hole in his arse.

Team really lacks a bit of leadership.

Sorry but in terms of example based leadeship colo is brilliant. Everything else is just bluster and showmanship. People speak of Nolan as this genuine leader but it just seemed to be a nice bloke who's personality was just bolder tbh. What were his leadership qualities?

Sorry but in terms of example based leadeship colo is brilliant. Everything else is just bluster and showmanship. People speak of Nolan as this genuine leader but it just seemed to be a nice bloke who's personality was just bolder tbh. What were his leadership qualities?

No doubt about that but I do think we are missing Steven Taylor for his role as an on-pitch leader (for reasons I described above). For me, there was something about Saylor's presence on the pitch that just demonstrated leadership. Saylor also seems to be the club's vice-captain too so he surely has some sort of influence on the other lads?

Maybe it's a bit of both? :laugh: I don't know really, no-one does. From what I gather though, Saylor seems to be well-liked in the squad (I know he's had some issues in the past but it does seem to me that this season, he is a respected member of the squad).

I agree mate. I was being a deliberately a bit pedantic but it is interesting to consider what people value in a teammate isnt it? I can see why a more overt style of motivation would help teammates get on board but in the same token as professional footballers a lot of the game must be very matter of fact; so we see colo taking games in his stride. You're right though he's a very valued presence.