West Brom 1 - 3 Newcastle United - 03/25/12 - Post match reaction from page 46

Mike

One thing I noticed today is that Cabaye was really trying to push on today, I thought it was nice to see. I'm sure he will be far more effective closer to the forwards than the defence.

Just got in. Absolutely fantastic win - it was vital we got three points today and for once, we delivered.

The play in the first half was something else - probably the best I've seen us play under Pardew. We played short and simple and on the floor - it was beautiful to witness :smitten:

The start of the second half was scary. One mistake from Williamson (who I thought was alright apart from headering out of Krul's hands) and we looked set to crumble Fulham style. We held on though, and eventually got the game down to our pace and comfortably saw it out I thought.

Perch was brilliant again, Jonas suited sitting infront of the back four surprisingly well, HBA looked like he'd score/threaten every time he went forward - the WBA defenders were shitting themselves. His run in the second half would have been goal of the century :lol: The subs were decent too, I thought and helped us see out the game. As always, the atmosphere was class and their fans were pretty s*** on the whole.

Overall, I'm bloody delighted. Howay the lads :celb:

West Brom fans pretty complimentary of Pardew,

I don't think Pardew ignored our midfield he singled out Jones as a weakness or at least that flank. However most of the problem was the midfield allowing their players to waltz through us without putting a challenge in. The last goal was awful and highlighted this perfectly. Three players surround Thomas he inevitably loses possession due to no outlet and then our entire midfield and Ridgwell miss tackles until they score. Wtf we couldn't just have hacked their players down and took a booking gawd only knows! I was swearing my rollocks off at the time saying so.

Pardew said post game that he purposely didn't want to use the middle of the park as he felt Mulumbu was a very strong player there at breaking up play, therefore it was their intention to attack from out wide.

Have to say, you did exactly what I hoped you would'nt, pressed us high, never let us settle really, excellent attacking play first half.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Superb display, excellent on the counter attack, we looked dangerous every time we went forward. Ben Arfa had his best game in a Newcastle shirt, if he is able to play like that on a regular basis then he'll win games for us by himself. Ba put in a shift that will be overshadowed by Cisse's double, but the front three are working brilliantly together. Cabaye was tireless and Jonas' run of good form continues. Perch's renaissance is a joy to behold, and while Coloccini's injury is a worry, I think we can overcome it, especially if Tiote returns to the side.

We did what we had to do in the second half, but all in all we were a pleasure to watch. Somewhere up there Sir Bobby was smiling today.

Bob Rob's spirit lives on and is helping spur us on.

______________________________Cisse_____________________________

=====================Shola Ameobi========================

Ba_______________________________________________________Ben Arfa

Sammy Ameobi===================================Marvuex

______________Gutierez_________Tiote__________Cabaye_____________

=========Vuckic=======Abied/Perch=====Guthrie/R.Taylor=========

?__________________S.Taylor___________Coloccini_____________Santon

Ferguson======Williamson============?======Simpson/R.Taylor/Perch

_______________________________Krul______________________________

Squad looks decent, I know Guthrie & Simpson could be off. I think the formation would suit Vuckic & S Ameobi, a left-back, centre-back and young striker I'd say at the moment in the summer.

Nearly all those replacements are rank for the most part if we're aiming higher tbh. Aside from a first choice FB we need to add quality in depth/competition more than anything in the summer IMO

It might be rank if they were all playing, but I wouldn't worry about one or two of them stepping in. None are bad players really, assuming the likes of Vuckic and Sameobi progress as expected.

Dunno like the drop in quality from first team to reserve, maybe Guthrie aside, is pretty big and if we're looking to consolidate at the top end of the table it needs improving vastly IMO.

Ideally you don't want to be carrying any passengers when changes are needed. Not too mention our squad being more likely to be stretched next season if a) we're lucky enough to sneak Europe, b) hopefully less gash in the cups.

Anyway that's a problem to worry about in the summer / next season, not now. Let us enjoy this win for the time being.

It might be rank if they were all playing, but I wouldn't worry about one or two of them stepping in. None are bad players really, assuming the likes of Vuckic and Sameobi progress as expected.

Dunno like the drop in quality from first team to reserve, maybe Guthrie aside, is pretty big and if we're looking to consolidate at the top end of the table it needs improving vastly IMO.

Ideally you don't want to be carrying any passengers when changes are needed. Not too mention our squad being more likely to be stretched next season if a) we're lucky enough to sneak Europe, b) hopefully less gash in the cups.

I suppose so, but the gap is always going to be significant unless we can keep quality players happy on the bench. The likes of Abeid, Vuckic and Ameobi have real potential.

Improvements on Williamson, Simpson, Perch etc would be nice like, I admit.

dont mind the likes of ferguson or even shola coming in. the problem is without taylor and now colo the cover aint that good (and for those that'll screasm about tightfistedness i doubt mariappa would have calmed my nerves much)

Just. Wow. Finally home. Fucking amazing first half. So proud of the lads for hanging on in the second, too. Pards got it right today, and fair play to him. Felt like scum having to disappear with 5 minutes of injury time left, but it was the difference between me getting my final coach or spending the night on the streets of Birmingham. :( Aside from the match, it's certainly been an eventful and interesting day and night. :lol:

Just. Wow. Finally home. Fucking amazing first half. So proud of the lads for hanging on in the second, too. Pards got it right today, and fair play to him. Felt like scum having to disappear with 5 minutes of injury time left, but it was the difference between me getting my final coach or spending the night on the streets of Birmingham. :( Aside from the match, it's certainly been an eventful and interesting day and night. :lol:

Scum.

Scum.

:okay:

Scum.

:okay:

:huff: Fucking part timer.

Guest magpie99

______________________________Cisse_____________________________

=====================Shola Ameobi========================

Ba_______________________________________________________Ben Arfa

Sammy Ameobi===================================Marvuex

______________Gutierez_________Tiote__________Cabaye_____________

=========Vuckic=======Abied/Perch=====Guthrie/R.Taylor=========

?__________________S.Taylor___________Coloccini_____________Santon

Ferguson======Williamson============?======Simpson/R.Taylor/Perch

_______________________________Krul______________________________

Squad looks decent, I know Guthrie & Simpson could be off. I think the formation would suit Vuckic & S Ameobi, a left-back, centre-back and young striker I'd say at the moment in the summer.

It would appear that you have decided Santon and Best dont figure in your plans.

FWIW, I think there will be minimal disruption to outgoing players. We know Lovenkrands, Smith and possibly Xisco are gone, the latter probably on loan again and it is looking like Guthrie, Ranger and Forster will join them.

I think you will see the likes of Tavernier, Streete, Ferguson, Sameobi, Vuckic and Abeid being more involved next season with a couple pf very good defensive signings and either Rodriguez of Burnley or Rhodes of Huddersfield brought in to cover the Dembas when they are off to the ACN next season.