Relegation Fodder

LucaAltieri

Guest MrSundlofer

Dann and N'Zonzi are turbocrap.

N'Zonzi's not, keeps it simple and puts a shift in, we need cover for the workhorse centre midfield role.

1 season wonder. Been rubbish since then, not good enough if we want to keep going forward.

Agree. He seems lazy and somehow looks undisciplined on the pitch. 

Davies and Lee from Bolton.

Hoilett from Blackburn.

Diame from Wigan.

These are players that can help us push on ie. they're better than some of our starters.

The rest, like Faurlin and Dann and Rodallega, are crap and would be bench players. I'd rather sit our promising kids like Vukcic and Sammy on the bench.

Moses doesn't have a brain. He's a better version of Obertan but we'd be complaining about his lack of football sense after 5 matches. We need smarter players, like a fit version of Marveaux.

I'm not his biggest supporter in life, but he knows how to use his pace and is actually quite skillful and dangerous. He's different to Marveaux because he is more explosive and just a different option. I actually would not mind him at all as an impact substitute in the 4-3-3 system we have used lately if he would accept that role at a bigger club.

Samuel is not good enough for now and Vuckic failed to make an impact in the Championship. Next season we need to ship out some of our reserve players who are not up to much, have our promising youngsters on loans where they will play more than five minute cameos and bring in 2-3 quad players who can actually do a job. This is especially true if we are in Europe and Guthrie leaves (which he should).

Onuoha

Holden, Lee

Hoilett, Martin Olsson.

Not for much money or anything, but all would have a place in the squad. If Holden recovers from injury to his form of  last season he would be an upgrade on Guthrie in my opinion.

Suspect Yakubu would want more playing time though, I wouldn't want him as first choice even if Ba goes, not very fast...Something about him has never quite convinced me, except that he does seem adept at scoring, never can work out how though...

Again, No-one. There's a reason they aren't already playing for top clubs. It's very, very easy to stand out in a shower of s***. Of course there are exceptions, but on the scale of perhaps at most one per season, and last season it was Demba Ba. This season I don't see anyone at all. We are a club now, to much of our own surprise and delight, mixing it in the top 6 on merit alone, and we need to alter our perceptions of what sort of player would be of the right calibre to join us, I just don't see bargain-basement buys from the PL's relegated teams to be what we need to kick us on to the next level. Just take a look at Liverpool as to how taking supposed stars from lower teams does not work as a shining example. Aside from Ba, who was a free transfer and who we only signed because he failed a medical at Stoke, it simply wasn't our policy last summer, let alone now with us in such a stronger position to attract good talent.

Also, unless the prices were extremely low, there isn't a chance in hell that this club would sign any of them, they have to meet the criteria of our transfer strategy of being young, underpriced, have the right attitude off the pitch and the almost certain chance that they would develop and increase their value. That they are already PL players already inflates the price, regardless of the owning club being relegated, as with clubs coming up and the dross in the bottom half circling like vultures, there will be no shortage of suitors for the better of the cloggers.

I know the club knows this already, but it seems a lot of people on here don't =) Not that I'm saying it's bad to discuss the better players from the worst teams in the league, but rather than read threads like this for potential transfers, I would much rather a few threads on some of the better players from the Bundesliga, Ligue 1 and the Eridervisie or some of the lesser-known stars of Serie A and La Liga that most of us won't even have heard of before. These are where our players are going to come from this summer, not from Wolves or Blackburn. At the start of last summer this thread would be totally valid, but having seen our transfer strategy subsequent to that summer and our increased position to attract a far better calibre of player, we need to be thinking a little more highly of ourselves. Newcastle is an incredibly attractive proposition to many players right now, across the world.

Suspect Yakubu would want more playing time though, I wouldn't want him as first choice even if Ba goes, not very fast...Something about him has never quite convinced me, except that he does seem adept at scoring, never can work out how though...

He could easily get 20+ starts next season with the cups, ACoN (does he still play for Nigeria?), injuries, etc. I'd imagine a player at his stage of his career would take that over 30+ league starts in a relegation battle. (see Michael Owen)

Again, No-one. There's a reason they aren't already playing for top clubs. It's very, very easy to stand out in a shower of s***. Of course there are exceptions, but on the scale of perhaps at most one per season, and last season it was Demba Ba. This season I don't see anyone at all. We are a club now, to much of our own surprise and delight, mixing it in the top 6 on merit alone, and we need to alter our perceptions of what sort of player would be of the right calibre to join us, I just don't see bargain-basement buys from the PL's relegated teams to be what we need to kick us on to the next level. Just take a look at Liverpool as to how taking supposed stars from lower teams does not work as a shining example. Aside from Ba, who was a free transfer and who we only signed because he failed a medical at Stoke, it simply wasn't our policy last summer, let alone now with us in such a stronger position to attract good talent.

Thats bollocks.

See us at how taking players from lower clubs can work if you pick the right players.

The reasons these clubs aren't already at bigger clubs, because their clubs at the moment can't afford to lose their players who are going to give them a chance of staying up. I admit theirs not many players I see down there who could add anything to us in terms of first team quality, Hoilett aside, their is though a few decent players there though that would be good squad players and much better than what we have.

Again, No-one. There's a reason they aren't already playing for top clubs.

Coloccini, Jonas, Saylor, Krul were all relegated with us and (bar Saylor through injury) are ever-present in our side which is currently sitting 3 points from 4th.

I'd quite happily sit here and argue that we were, as a club, an exception to the rule. Even in the Championship, we were a bigger club than many in the PL. If you got Arsenal managed by Joe Kinnear and ran by Dennis Wise and they were relegated, RVP et al would still be class.

Thats bollocks.

See us at how taking players from lower clubs can work if you pick the right players.

The reasons these clubs aren't already at bigger clubs, because their clubs at the moment can't afford to lose their players who are going to give them a chance of staying up. I admit theirs not many players I see down there who could add anything to us in terms of first team quality, Hoilett aside, their is though a few decent players there though that would be good squad players and much better than what we have.

You tell me I'm speaking bollocks yet agree that there is probably only player a year from those going down to take note of. Your reasoning of players not being allowed to move as the clubs need them is simply incorrect, if a top 6 club wanted any player of the bottom 3, they would have them tomorrow if they could and there wouldn't be anything the selling club could do. See Phil Jones for one.

I'm not having a go at people on this forum, and if I somehow came across this way then I apologize, but the lack of replies to what I posted tends to make me feel the silent majority are with me on this one.

Hoilett and Moses are genuinely the only ones we should be looking at. There is no point spending the money it would take to sign players from those teams.

Someone like Rodallega would probably cost about 7,8 Million, when we are better off sticking with Shola.

Hawk,

One per season?  What about Scott Parker?  That's two from one club.

There's plenty of talent out there. A couple of weeks ago there was a spasm of argument coming from Liverpool fans/journalists along the same lines. They were rightly complaining about Downing, Carroll, and Henderson. But to point out that they're not top four quality players  does not mean that there are no top quality players available at smaller clubs.  Think of Valencia coming from Wigan or Cisse coming from a relegation side in Germany.

I'd take Hoilett in a heartbeat. Diame looks good too.

Hoilett will go to somebody like Spurs if not us. He's a very talented little player, just because he plays for Blackburn doesn't make him crap.

I don't think there is a whole lot to pick from from the bottom 5 though.

Fair enough, I can understand that. I'm just of a different opinion to some I guess, see I wouldn't take Hoilett ;)

Then you're a bit of an idiot ;)

He'd be bloody perfect on the left if Ba were to leave in this system.

Hoilett will go to somebody like Spurs if not us. He's a very talented little player, just because he plays for Blackburn doesn't make him crap.

I don't think there is a whole lot to pick from from the bottom 5 though.

Diame would be the one for me, simply because we don't have a like for like Tiote replacement when he's not playing. Although we'd miss them both when the ACN comes around which might be a stumbling block.

People can fuck off before they keep on telling me Abeid is a defensive midfielder as well.

Fair enough, I can understand that. I'm just of a different opinion to some I guess, see I wouldn't take Hoilett ;)

Why though? Hoilett is as good as if not better than a lot of players we'll be linked to on the continent.

He's only 21 and has been one of the best wingers in the league for a struggling side (6 goals and 6 assists). Great close control and dribbler, can create and score, can play wide or through the middle. Like I said chances are he'll go to somebody like Spurs.