Team of the Year 2011/12

AlanSkÃrare

Lucas is class, one of the best holding midfielders in the league. 

He's only played about 10 games this season though, can't include him in a team of the season just because Liverpool have been shit without him. :lol:

He's only played about 10 games this season though, can't include him in a team of the season just because Liverpool have been s*** without him. :lol:

Yh i know thats why i said if he stayed fit and same goes for Sagna i couldnt include him either because he's hardly played.

He's only played about 10 games this season though, can't include him in a team of the season just because Liverpool have been s*** without him. :lol:

Lucas has really gone from shit to decent. But class? Are ye havin a laff? :lol: Catts for me like.

Didn't understand the praise Lucas was getting pre injury.

Liverpool fans. They need something to cling on to

It's because they all slated him horrendously for being a white(!) multi-million pound 18yo Brazilian who wasn't doing seal dribbles in his first season of living in a completely new continent and coping with a new way of life (oh, and the wonderful world of Melwood)...now that he's matured into a semi-competent player, he's the second coming of Christ.

Have to say I'm shocked that Mata hasn't been picked more. He's been fantastic in his first PL season in a sub-par Chelsea side and, unlike Silva, there's little to suggest that his form will trail off.

His form has trailed of though, imo. Hasn't been the same player for a few months now.

Six goals and 11 assists to Silva's 5 goals and 12 assists in a very similar amount of games (Mata's 31 appearances to Silva's 30) according to Soccernet regardless of the current form of both players. But when you consider that it's Mata's first season in England playing for a team experiencing their worst domestic campaign for years, I think he's personally more deserving of an inclusion than Silva.

Fair enough. At that points it just comes down to which one was more impressive while watching, and I'll probably still stick with Silva. Could go either way, though.

a slight side issue for me related to things like this, the normal lack of anything resembling balance when media or whatever put together a team of the year and cram in as many attacking players as possible

Lucas has completed the most tackles of any liverpool players, even including all the games he hasn't played. Very good player.

If we were going with peak form this would be my team

Vorm (would be krull but for his kicking, on overall form would go Krul, but Vorm can play blinders and really good distribution)

Sagna  Kompany Collocini  Baines

Toure  Lucas

HBA    Silva    Mata

RVP

Mata provides plenty of width. Valencia, Song (close call with Lucas, but think latter provides more actual tackling) and obviously Cisse.

Lucas has completed the most tackles of any liverpool players, even including all the games he hasn't played. Very good player.

Can we please stop using that turgid team as the yardstick for including players who have been crocked most of the season? I don't see anyone clamouring to include S.Taylor despite him still having the most number of headed clearances of any of our players including the games he has missed.

Using the performance of the other players at LFC this season does absolutely jack shit to justify your inclusion of any player. Especially the guy who only played for 3 months.

EDIT:

Collocini

wat?

You make a fair point that the team is a poor yardstick, but I have watched him longer than half a season, and i said on peak form, of course wouldn't make overall form. Good player, Song or Cabaye could be there too.

Ok for overall form sub in Krul for Vorm, Song for Lucas, and Valencia for HBA

Using Liverpool players isnt a yardstick, but he was on top of tackles and interceptions for everyone in the league for a very long time.

I dont understand this notion that he's just a decent player but if people disagree then fair enough its what this about.

Differing opinions it would be boring if everyone had the same team.

Simon Mignolet

Phil Bardsley

John O'Shea

Wes Brown

Kieran Richardson

Lee Cattermole

Sebastian Larsson

Jack Colback

James McClean

Stéphane Sessègnon

Nicklas Bendtner

Martin O'Neill