The other games today - 2011/12

Beren

What a game, it was one that reminded me of CL in the 90s where no one was scared of each other and everyone just went for each others throats far too much emphasis on tactics these days for me.

Bayern truly deserved it for me over the two legs...... i was extremely impressed with Neuer and Kroos especially.

Now i hope Bayern smash Chelsea in the final and i believe they will  :D

Looking back at the game, at times it was really really strange, wasn't it? In the 2nd half there were periods were neither team seemed like they wanted to score a goal. Extra time it was more Real again but, taking the whole game into contention, Bayern are through here probably deserved.

Fear of conceding took over both teams IMO, particularly Madrid and both teams in extra time.

I thought today's score was fair but over the 2 legs I think the right team progressed.

Agree. And it's hard for me to agree on that because it's Bayern and Mourinho. But today not even the ref can be blamed...

Feel like we didn't really see the best of either team tbh. Fatigue reigned - even the attacking play which was being lauded in the first half didn't seem to me to be especially fantastic - much of it was just suicidal "defending".

Bayern were definitely the better side from the performance. Gomez really ought to have wrapped it up long before it came to penalties.

Are Bayern missing any players for the final through suspension? And If so, who is likely to replace them?

2 from their back 4 according to the commentary. don't know who but think badtenstuber (sp?) is one.

Hahahahahah fuck off Mourinho.

Ronaldo also has missed two of his last pens in CL shootouts, right? Best player ever /alpal

I'm sure it will be extra painful, watching their blood rivals and the GREATEST TEAM EVARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! in the final.  :'(

Oh, wait....

Guest Tyson

At the Nou Camp last week, I thought that Ronaldo was finally on the way to erasing the 'choker' label which has plagued him on the big stage. Scores for fun against the lightweights, but misses guilt edge opportunities against the big guns. His goal-to-game ratio in the EPL, against the Arsenals (ie. the league's top tier), was a stark contrast to his overall record.

I don't see how people can blame Ronaldo, he scored two goals FFS, and two other Madrid players missed penalties (including Ramos who did his best Jonny Wilkinson impression).

Of the list of people for Madrid to blame, Ronaldo is damn near the bottom of the list.

Guest Tyson

I don't see how people can blame Ronaldo, he scored two goals FFS, and two other Madrid players missed penalties (including Ramos who did his best Jonny Wilkinson impression).

Of the list of people for Madrid to blame, Ronaldo is damn near the bottom of the list.

Chokers' tag on the big stage (ie. delivering in the highest pressure moments) is still warranted, and the doubts that come with.

Prior to last week (in league play, during Barca's period of dominance), he's scoring record against Barca was a solitary penalty in five meetings iirc. As inferred he scores for fun against the lightweights, but for a player of his ability there's still not enough 'statement', or complete/dominant type of performances (on the biggest stages, against top opposition) in his resume.

This and the penalty wasn't that bad, just a great save from Neuer.

Guest Tyson

Chelsea will never get through against Barca

Chelsea will get battered at Camp Nou

Barca will score late on

Chelsea have a load of suspended players and their opponents won't

Bayern will get battered at the Bernabeu

Real will cut through Chelsea like a hot knife through butter

That sums it up. Brutal truth.

Last Chance Saloon for an aging Chelsea team (tick)

Fairytale season's conclusion, and a big plus for a possible job application (whether it be Chelsea or not), for a caretaker manager in charge (tick)

Van Buyten, as an inclusion for the final, would be a plus for Bayern. Good defensive match-up for them against Drogba, if the Blues continue to go with a physical & direct brand of play (which was used to good effect against Barca).

Having seen Bayern last night, I think they will give Chelsea a better game in the final than Real. Strong side and mentally very tough.

Yep. They've also got home advantage which I think will count in favour.

Will it be that much of a home advantage though?

I assume UEFA will give Chelsea and Bayern equal ticket allocations, with most of the rest going to corporate sponsors and neutrals who can afford to shell out for tickets.  So it's not going to be like the usual Bayern Home Game where you have 60,000 Germans baying for blood.

Guest VaVaVoom

Will it be that much of a home advantage though?

I assume UEFA will give Chelsea and Bayern equal ticket allocations, with most of the rest going to corporate sponsors and neutrals who can afford to shell out for tickets.  So it's not going to be like the usual Bayern Home Game where you have 60,000 Germans baying for blood.

Still...They are at home. No need to travel, same match day routine which is of massive importance imo.

I said at the start of the season Bayern would be there at the end and i think they will do for Chelsea 2 or 3.

Great game last night, they move the ball really well and look very fit. Chelsea will struggle imho.

Guest Roger Kint

Are Bayern missing any players for the final through suspension? And If so, who is likely to replace them?

2 from their back 4 according to the commentary. don't know who but think badtenstuber (sp?) is one.

Rafinha will come in at FB so not a big loss there(Alaba) no idea if Van Buyten is fit or who the next in line for Badstuber's replacement is which is probably the biggest concern for them, Tymoschuk will no doubt replace Gustavo so again not a great loss assuming Tymo can still run these days.

Guest neesy111

Was really impressed by Bayern last night, most teams would had folded going 2-0 down at the Bernabeu and were arguably the better team with Mario Gomez guilty of missing some sitter's.