Players You Are Pleased We Didn't Sign (in Retrospect)

MyPalAl

Dean Ashton

Would've been class if he never got injured. A much more rounded player than Carroll.

Really had a lot going for him, went 10 games without scoring in the championship and was man of the match every game due to his immense work rate. That's pretty impressive for someone whose primary job is to get goals.

Liked him a lot and was desperate for him to come here, such a shame what happened with him.

Shit hair though.

He had all of the potential in the world. He easily could've been the next Collins John or Rob Hulse.

Dean Ashton

Would've been class if he never got injured. A much more rounded player than Carroll.

Really had a lot going for him, went 10 games without scoring in the championship and was man of the match every game due to his immense work rate. That's pretty impressive for someone whose primary job is to get goals.

Liked him a lot and was desperate for him to come here, such a shame what happened with him.

Shit hair though.

He had all of the potential in the world. He easily could've been the next Collins John or Rob Hulse.

Aye, good point Tooj. A striker of Championship or Division 2 quality is exactly what we're missing right now.

Bump.

Mbia. What a s*** player.

Is (was?) one of the most overrated players around, must have a particularly active agent.

While I'm not tearing my clothes off about it I also still think Gervinho would have been a decent signing for us. Same way I'm not going to start wearing a sackcloth because Rémy didn't sign here. We were already risking it by offering more than he's currently worth - due to a poor attitude and lack of motivation - to OM, and his decision to go to QPR confirms these issues. I think we'll get over him soon enough.

Guest Howaythetoon

Dean Ashton was developing into a really good player when he went to West Ham, almost the complete forward although his pace had went and he wasn't the most mobile by then but in terms of link up play, vision, technical skills and an eye for goal, he was decent in all aspects. He idolised Shearer by the way. We had him watched loads of times when he was at Crewe, mind so did most of the league. He had back problems and other niggly injury issues though. A real shame his career was cut short just as he was on the verge of becoming an England player too.

Not a patch on Collins John though...

Guest firetotheworks

The opposite of this thread would be interesting. Players we were gutted we signed but were better than we thought they would be.

Perch (eventually)

Sibierski

Nolan

Andy Carroll last summer. How much are Liverpool going to get for this guy when they do flog him?

I can't see it being anywhere near £10m at this point. The only thing he has going for him is the fact he's english, which will always give him a £3m-£4m headstart.