Mathieu Debuchy

Skeletor

We'll get Debuchy. We all know it but just like to moan anyway.

While i would like it to be this straight forward i just dont think it is.

Unlike last season we are now shopping in a better market but want to pay under the going rate. Thats ok with players who are up and coming or unkown quantities. It does not work so well with International players unless we find one with a clause (Cabs).

Last season we were very clever, this season we are starting to look amateurish and taking the piss with our offers.

I thought we looked amateurish and were taking the piss with our offers last season as well tbh. Offering £6-7m for a 26 year old full back is fairly Abrahmovic-esque by Ashley's standards.

Guest bimpy474

What was our first offer on the previous signings & how long did those negotiations take?

The only difference this season is we as fans are more aware of the negotiation period as the selling clubs have leaked our offers.

True but a common theme has been that our offers are laughable, thats my worry.

Guest bimpy474

Unlike last season we are now shopping in a better market but want to pay under the going rate. Thats ok with players who are up and coming or unkown quantities. It does not work so well with International players unless we find one with a clause (Cabs).

Last season we were very clever, this season we are starting to look amateurish and taking the piss with our offers.

I thought we looked amateurish and were taking the piss with our offers last season as well tbh. Offering £6-7m for a 26 year old full back is fairly Abrahmovic-esque by Ashley's standards.

Hasn't offer £6-7m though has he, so far we have offered £3.9m, for France's first choice RB......thats taking the piss somewhat. Wish Ashley would just aim that wee bit higher now.

What was our first offer on the previous signings & how long did those negotiations take?

The only difference this season is we as fans are more aware of the negotiation period as the selling clubs have leaked our offers.

Our manager didn't exactly try to keep it a secret. :lol:

Last season we were very clever, this season we are starting to look amateurish and taking the p*ss with our offers.

I thought we looked amateurish and were taking the p*ss with our offers last season as well tbh. Offering £6-7m for a 26 year old full back is fairly Abrahmovic-esque by Ashley's standards.

So did I. At the time I thought we were making a terrible mess. Seem to remember Pardew saying we'd definitely have a left back "over the line" for the start of the season. Then we only got Santon 2 games in and he immediately injured his knee.

This forum went mental on the last day of the window because we didn't sign a striker, thought there was all the Bryan Ruiz in a helicopter bollocks.

There was also some last day rumours of Ridgewell coming in as well.

Pardew had also said he didn't want to lose Nolan, Barton, or Enrique and all had gone anyway. No one was at all happy at the time about Barton being f***ed off on a free.

In fact Pardew had been made to look so daft with his assurances repeatedly failing to materialise that a lot of people had the derby down as a "game he dare not lose" (to quote true faith from the time).

Then a few months down the line we are riding high in the table with everyone casting envious glances at our superior transfer policy.

Worth remembering it was all far from straightforward last summer and this year could well be similar.

Them getting a replacement is pretty much a sign to us that theyve accepted the concept of selling him, they know he wants to go. Ofcourse they have till the end of the transfer window to draw this out till, so it becomes a balance for us of saving money vs preparation for the season.

We obviously try to sell ourselves as a club that will move on unless the deals right. We may even feign interest in players & then move on specifically to try to build a reputation of having done that in the past. So obviously the next step is to claim we'll only be interested for a limited amount more time,  to weaken their stance as theyll be left with a player who may disrupt their preperation. Its all just pressure games, doubt itll take much longer.

Guest firetotheworks

I am talking, but I am saying nothing. I am a poster in the Mathieu Debuchy thread.

Oh be quiet.

Aren't we all...

Our previous signings (last seasons) were in the main opportunistic and with a slant that gave us the edge. A clause, a few that did not entail fees, and chancing in on players that had been frozen out (Santon, Obertan). It was only really Cisse we had to put a large sum in for and lets be honest, must of us were suprised we had spent that much on a player. Be nice to think we are capable of emulating that transfer with other players on our wishlist.

Our policy has a lot of balls, and its an admirable way of business, but we need to find some compromisation somewhere this season, now we are chasing players who carry fees. No clauses or whatever.

Everyone knows Debuchy is a quality player in his prime, and we have offered what? Just shy of 4million. We'll get nowhere in the market imo if we continue to attempt to rip people off.

Our previous signings (last seasons) were in the main opportunistic and with a slant that gave us the edge. A clause, a few that did not entail fees, and chancing in on players that had been frozen out (Santon, Obertan). It was only really Cisse we had to put a large sum in for and lets be honest, must of us were suprised we had spent that much on a player. Be nice to think we are capable of emulating that transfer with other players on our wishlist.

Our policy has a lot of balls, and its an admirable way of business, but we need to find some compromisation somewhere this season, now we are chasing players who carry fees. No clauses or whatever.

Everyone knows Debuchy is a quality player in his prime, and we have offered what? Just shy of 4million. We'll get nowhere in the market imo if we continue to attempt to rip people off.

No one's had a bid accepted for Debuchy, so for as long as he's a Lille player I've no problem haggling.

Cabaye may aswell be a clause in Debuchys contract tbh. Thats the vulnerability we are using to keep the cost down, which is just logical. Theres no reason to think we wont reach a compromise, but the closer it is to our initial offer the better ofcourse. The balance is how much value we place on him joining us for pre season, aslong as hes training with Lille & hes fit we may be willing to draw it out for longer.

Cabaye may aswell be a clause in Debuchys contract tbh. Thats the vulnerability we are using to keep the cost down, which is just logical. Theres no reason to think we wont reach a compromise, but the closer it is to our initial offer the better ofcourse. The balance is how much value we place on him joining us for pre season, aslong as hes training with Lille & hes fit we may be willing to draw it out for longer.

The Cabaye factor is what's keeping the deal alive imo

Really cant see this one going through if im honest. It'll be a shame like.

I don't think it's looking very likely either, them buying a 19 year old doesn't automatically mean Debuchy is a goner, the kid could easily be seen as a squad player for a season or 2.

I'm not really sure what we're doing in this window, we bid big for De Jong, messed around trying to get Carroll on loan, meanwhile we are sticking in low ball bids in the positions we desperately need to improve and seemingly not following up on them once they are rejected. It's obviously too early to panic, but I am not very comfortable. Teams know we have money, they aren't going to bend over for us, especially the likes of Lille who are probably butthurt over the Cabaye transfer.

This is really beginning to upset me now.  :lol:

Just started my 2 weeks off work aswell so instead of getting out and about making the most of it and packing to move into my new flat I'll be on this forum all day and bastarding night.

Not that I don't enjoy the musings of all you fine folks though.