Champions League Final 2012 - pre-match thread

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd support pretty much any English team in the CL

have never and will never understand this, we spend our time hating the likes of manyoo and chelsea only for them to come up against Basel or someone then suddenly i'm supposed to be on their side?  don't get that, don't know how you switch it off

Also makes competing harder, obviously the likes of Chelsea/Man City doesn't make much difference but say Spurs/Liverpool etc.. It's going to give them more money to improve.

I'd support pretty much any English team in the CL

have never and will never understand this, we spend our time hating the likes of manyoo and chelsea only for them to come up against Basel or someone then suddenly i'm supposed to be on their side?  don't get that, don't know how you switch it off

Also makes competing harder, obviously the likes of Chelsea/Man City doesn't make much difference but say Spurs/Liverpool etc.. It's going to give them more money to improve.

agreed

must either be simple nationalism or a belief that our teams doing well is somehow an endorsement of our league...that one falls apart when you are forced to acknowledge the english players are by and large shite

Hopefully Chelsea can win for screwing Spurs over and boosting our coefficient. But I won't be actively cheering them on.....i'll just silently nod if they do it. They've got some horrible human beings.

disagree with that, if they win the CL i reckon roman might be inclined to start a more phased approach to the next generation of his chelsea having won the prize that's eluded them...if they f*** it up tonight he might well sanction more spending and another high profile managerial appointment to try and win it quick

The problem is that Chelsa will not get the best players if they fail to qualify. And abrahimovich is not the kind of person that phases out. He became rich by being brutal and corrupt. Abrahimovich wants players like Falcao. But Falcao is not interested in playing in a tournament he's just won, regardless of how much money Abrahimovich ipays him. There will be clubs out there that will give Falcao  both CL and a solid pay.

That's not really true like. Money talks. Only a handful of clubs can match Chelsea for wages. Toure, Tevez etc. signed for City without them ever being in the CL from 2 of the biggest clubs in the world.

Guest Spark

Honestly don't want either of these cunts to win. I can't separate their cuntyness. Going to be a strange game to watch.

Chelsea winning is best for us. It gives a better, albeit only slightly better, chance of being seeded in the waffa next season, plus it significantly weakens one of our direct rivals (hopefully) for next season. Spurs' spending power matters much more on the Champions League than Chelsea who will spend regardless (in fact missing out on the CL would probably only spur them on to spend more). Ergo, it's an easy choice to make tonight.

Howay Chelsea. :indi:

Chelsea hopefully to win and thereby deny a place to Spurs who we are not too far off. Without the additional Champions league exposure and cash they won't be able to attract the very best players and keeps us within touching distance of them.

Both teams have important players missing but Chelsea has more experienced players at this level and Bayern are missing some of their better defensive players in Alaba and Luiz Gustavo. Chelsea have also had some terrible luck in the latter stages in recent years, so this might be the year their luck turns. Can't imagine how gut-wrenching it would be for Bayern to lose this at home though. I don't expect Chelsea to bottle it the way Real Madrid did. Madrid's second leg performance and penalties were a sign of a side that hasn't been at this level for ages. I'm totally neutral in any case, no matter who wins clearly neither team is actually the best team in Europe.

It's definitely strange for any PL team supporter to support any English club in Europe on principle, considering most top-flight English teams hate most of the others for one reason or another.

Chelsea hopefully to win and thereby deny a place to Spurs who we are not too far off. Without the additional Champions league exposure and cash they won't be able to attract the very best players and keeps us within touching distance of them.

Chelsea is not far too off either..We finished above them ffs  ;D 

disagree with that, if they win the CL i reckon roman might be inclined to start a more phased approach to the next generation of his chelsea having won the prize that's eluded them...if they f*** it up tonight he might well sanction more spending and another high profile managerial appointment to try and win it quick

The problem is that Chelsa will not get the best players if they fail to qualify. And abrahimovich is not the kind of person that phases out. He became rich by being brutal and corrupt. Abrahimovich wants players like Falcao. But Falcao is not interested in playing in a tournament he's just won, regardless of how much money Abrahimovich ipays him. There will be clubs out there that will give Falcao  both CL and a solid pay.

That's not really true like. Money talks. Only a handful of clubs can match Chelsea for wages. Toure, Tevez etc. signed for City without them ever being in the CL from 2 of the biggest clubs in the world.

That's true. But is Abrahimivich willing to caugh 100s of millions once AGAIN. The man is rich, £10 billion, but he is essentially keeping the club afloat. Last year Chelsea had a deficit of £67 mill. The squad needs a total overhaul and they are in danger of missing out on the money motherload: CL. If he wants to compete with City (The Sheikh is worth twice as much)  he must be willing to fork out a shitload of money,  but still he's not guaranteed results because City has even more money. When he bought Chelsea he was the first to literally buy himself to success. This is not possible anymore.

Hopefully Chelsea will implode if they don't win. And Harry will fuck up the qualification ..

That's true. But is Abrahimivich willing to caugh 100s of millions once AGAIN. The man is rich, £10 billion, but he is essentially keeping the club afloat. Last year Chelsea had a deficit of £67 mill. The squad needs a total overhaul and they are in danger of missing out on the money motherload: CL. If he wants to compete with City (The Sheikh is worth twice as much)  he must be willing to fork out a shitload of money,  but still he's not guaranteed results because City has even more money. When he bought Chelsea he was the first to literally buy himself to success. This is not possible anymore.

Hopefully Chelsea will implode if they don't win. And Harry will f*** up the qualification ..

Yes, he has no other option and he's shown no signs that he'll stop investing. He's not going to quit now. Teams can only have 25 players so whilst they may miss out on targets (Pastore to PSG for example) he can still blow 90% of teams away to land the likes of Mata & Fernando Torres. He spent a shitload to get AVB in last year and he let him go in under a year, if money was a big factor he would've stuck with AVB for a couple years to give his investment a chance. He didn't.

I don't understand your logic. He's been investing shitloads into that club for 8-9 years and has done so every season without fail. Why would he stop now? They lose, he buys big. Chelsea are a European giant now, Bayern were in the Europa a few years back but still had better "pull" than most clubs in Europe to sign players. They win, he still buys big but might actually show some patience for once to rebuild the squad, that is it. As long as he's alive, Chelsea will be in the running.

Spurs on the other hand are reliant on CL revenue streams. They'll have to let 2 players go at a minimum and replace them with less reputable players.

Your logic is flawed son.

It hurts to say but if Spurs qualify and sign 1 or 2 added players, they will be an excellent outfit.

1 of those needs to be a new top class forward

It hurts to say but if Spurs qualify and sign 1 or 2 added players, they will be an excellent outfit.

They are two new centrebacks and one quality forward short of being genuine title contenders, imo. The lesser players in their squad lack the experience and quality of those at the bigger clubs in your country, though.

If Bayern start Tymoschuk in the centre of the defence, I think they will definitely struggle to contain Chelsea's counterattacking play. Luis Gustavo is a very important player as well in the pivot as the destroyer/true holder. Chelsea will miss Ramires and Ivanovic, but Bayern's absences make this a very even match, imo.

They are two new centrebacks and one quality forward short of being genuine title contenders, imo. The lesser players in their squad lack the experience and quality of those at the bigger clubs in your country, though.

If Bayern start Tymoschuk in the centre of the defence, I think they will definitely struggle to contain Chelsea's counterattacking play. Luis Gustavo is a very important player as well in the pivot as the destroyer/true holder. Chelsea will miss Ramires and Ivanovic, but Bayern's absences make this a very even match, imo.

they were 20 points off the top mind, that's a big big gap to close

Champions League hymn will have new lyrics tonight.  :yikes: :(

"Una notte, under starry skies, Die Nacht der Träume, memories never die.

Una noche, under the world's eyes, C'est bien la nuit de reve, the night the champions rise!

From North and South, Aus West und Ost, Venez les chants, Come the songs, comes the night!

Una notte, under starry skies, Die Nacht der Träume, when memories never die. C'est bien la nuit de reve, the night the champions rise!

Ellos son los campeones! Campeones, campeones! Los campeones!

Sie sind die Meister, sie sind die Besten, ils sont les meilleurs, these are the champions!

Loro sono i campioni! Campioni! Campioni! I campioni!

Und the eyes of the world!"

Hopefully Chelsea will implode if they don't win. And Harry will f*** up the qualification ..

Yes, he has no other option and he's shown no signs that he'll stop investing. He's not going to quit now. Teams can only have 25 players so whilst they may miss out on targets (Pastore to PSG for example) he can still blow 90% of teams away to land the likes of Mata & Fernando Torres. He spent a shitload to get AVB in last year and he let him go in under a year, if money was a big factor he would've stuck with AVB for a couple years to give his investment a chance. He didn't.

I don't understand your logic. He's been investing shitloads into that club for 8-9 years and has done so every season without fail. Why would he stop now? They lose, he buys big. Chelsea are a European giant now, Bayern were in the Europa a few years back but still had better "pull" than most clubs in Europe to sign players. They win, he still buys big but might actually show some patience for once to rebuild the squad, that is it. As long as he's alive, Chelsea will be in the running.

Spurs on the other hand are reliant on CL revenue streams. They'll have to let 2 players go at a minimum and replace them with less reputable players.

Your logic is flawed son.

I'm afraid you're right, but I'm trying to convince myself otherwise. :lol: I hate Chelsea and Terry so much!!!!