Best Player Replacement

James

Nolan being replaced by Cabaye is just about the best replacement I've seen at the club in a decade, and I'm not a massive fan of Cabaye.

Is Cabaye for Nolan really the best replacement of a first team player?

Or is there a better one still?

Who did Bellamy replace? Gallacher/Cort?

IIRC we had Shearer Ferguson Cort, then Ferguson requested a transfer that summer and we bought Bellamy.

Ferguson left summer of 2000 didn't he? Bellamy came 2001.

Anyway, I really don't think anybody can argue with Tioté.

Our dogshite midfield got us relegated, and then there was numerous occasions it was overran in the Championshit. Smith was our starting holding midfielder going into the season, starting against Man U and Villa.

If we'd gone the rest of that season playing Smith instead I am absolutely convinced we'd have been relegated, probably rock bottom. One of the most crucial signings we've ever made.

Anyway, I really don't think anybody can argue with Tioté.

Our dogshite midfield got us relegated, and then there was numerous occasions it was overran in the Championshit. Smith was our starting holding midfielder going into the season, starting against Man U and Villa.

If we'd gone the rest of that season playing Smith instead I am absolutely convinced we'd have been relegated, probably rock bottom. One of the most crucial signings we've ever made.

Also on this point, one of my favourite ever neesy moments (it's probably tied with when Guthrie attacked his mate for no reason) was when he was furious with the Tioté signing because it was 'negative' signing another defensive midfielder on top of Smith.