Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Overall he had a decent game but today showed why i don't think he'll ever be a success in the PL. The two goals today came from long balls where really the DM should challenge with the ST for the aerial dual.

What a crock of s***.

Americans...

Would have taken Colback off instead.

Why? Colback probably has the most assists in our side. Set-piece threat and all that.

Lets just start 11 Raylors then.

I'm still waiting for this justification for keeping Anita on. Anita wasn't doing anything and wouldn't contribute to attacking in any meaningful way. Colback at least has proved a threat from set-pieces.

I'm still waiting for this justification for keeping Anita on. Anita wasn't doing anything and wouldn't contribute to attacking in any meaningful way. Colback at least has proved a threat from set-pieces.

Well Colback was winning all the headers in midfield, which meant Colo held his position and we kept a clean sheet.

Well Colback was winning all the headers in midfield, which meant Colo held his position and we kept a clean sheet.

Still waiting.....

Problem is, the role he was asked to play today (a defensive midfielder protecting the back four) dosnt suit him at all, he needs to be played a bit further forward, dictating play. Nothing more depressing than seeing us trying to defend by having Anita challenge for headers.

That's the position he played in Holland.

Are people still defending him?

He offers nothing in this league, the young lad Reed for Soton was far more effective.

I've defended him for a long time but I have to agree with this.

Simply just isn't suited to this league for whatever reason and has never had a single game where I've thought hes looked convincing, would be the last CM I would pick to start for us with everyone fit.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Problem is, the role he was asked to play today (a defensive midfielder protecting the back four) dosnt suit him at all, he needs to be played a bit further forward, dictating play. Nothing more depressing than seeing us trying to defend by having Anita challenge for headers.

I can see him working well as a deep midfielder in an attacking formation where his role is to intercept before laying it off to a more forward midfielder, or to offer a short option before picking out a pass forward. Since signing for us he's been asked to play the typical British idea of a DM where the job entails chasing back, making a crunching tackle then picking out a 40 yard pass.

I'm tired of watching this gutless bottler play in our midfield. The amount of times he pulls out of 50/50's or loses out is staggering for a central midfielder. This isn't some Pardew esque tripe about work rate or battling but the guy simply doesn't seem to have the heart for it.

Still waiting.....

Waiting for what? Anita is by far a better footballer. Due to the nature of his coaching from a young age, through an academy renowned for its pass and move style of play. Just because Colback can take 1 decent freekick in 10, doesn't make him infinitely better. Anita plays football, Jack chases football.

Think he'd be a useful player in a certain game plan but he won't dominate a game and can't be relied upon as a defensive midfielder on his own at least, which tbh i'm not a fan of as hate the two holding midfielders thing. In a flexible midfield 3 could help a posession game a lot but not fully convinced he'll ever fit even if we play as i'd like us to play.

Think he'd be a useful player in a certain game plan but he won't dominate a game and can't be relied upon as a defensive midfielder on his own at least, which tbh i'm not a fan of as hate the two holding midfielders thing. In a flexible midfield 3 could help a posession game a lot but not fully convinced he'll ever fit even if we play as i'd like us to play.

I'd agree with most of this, however I think a good appointment as manager could as him a great midfielder and

Show just how good he is.

I'd be curious to see a couple of Ajax games he played in, just to see what exactly he's meant to be on the pitch for. On the whole he's been a big bag of nowt for us; the only time I can recall him having a genuine case for starting every week was in that spell during late 2012 when Cabaye was injured. Obviously he's been a victim of the woeful management, as have so many, but I just don't know what he's good at aside from being tidy in possession most of the time. He was completely invisible last night and a combination of him and Colback does absolutely nothing to inspire confidence going forward. They both seem like quite similar players, with Colback having the upper hand in that he might get you a goal now and again.

Just can't make my mind up on this squad, tbh. There's several I think are mid-table fodder at best, and the ones I actually like as players I have no faith in their loyalty to the club. I desperately hope we get a decent manager with some fresh ideas, if only so we can see the current batch given some licence to play in a new system before they all move on to wherever they're pining for.

If we were a normal club, you'd expect a bit of an overhaul squad-wise when the new manager comes in.

Since I'm rambling, the ones I'd be really bothered about keeping long-term are:

GK: Krul

DEF: Janmaat, Dummett, Santon, Haidara

MID (wide): Cabella, Sammy, Aarons

MID (ctr): Sissoko, Colback, Abeid

ATT: Perez

I consider the rest of the squad either to be not good enough if we want to challenge the top four, or simply not up for playing for us.