Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

It was widely talked about within the club to have Tiote play a DM role, Anita a ball playing central midfielder and Cabaye further forward. Pardew was noted for saying shit like "Keep the ball, win the game" or something, basically alluding to us having a central midfield set out to pass teams off the pitch.

Anyway, there were a number of players at fault for both goals. And talking about fees recovered for a player who is terribly out of form and underused like Anita is pointless. There's only a small handful of players who would command a premium on their fees we originally paid and most of that is down to the mismanagement and use (lack-of) by our former manager, Alan Pardew.

Again, shocking that this needs to be brought up and repeated again - should be obvious by now.

This thread us all about what people think Anita is capable of against others pointing out what he actually does.

He does f*** all, he doesn't beat an opponent to get beyond them, he wants too much time on the ball, he loses concentration, he doesn't break up play, he's easily pushed off the ball and he offers very little creativity. Pointing out the odd but of good play doesn't wash.

I don't care where he plays, he's not going to be good enough for this league and we have better options for what he'd offer in any position. There's posts on here suggesting he could dictate play if played in the correct position. Bollocks could he. He needs a slower, less physical league. He's trundled around the pitch like little boy lost.

This thread us all about what people think Anita is capable of against others pointing out what he actually does.

He does f*** all, he doesn't beat an opponent to get beyond them, he wants too much time on the ball, he loses concentration, he doesn't break up play, he's easily pushed off the ball and he offers very little creativity. Pointing out the odd but of good play doesn't wash.

I don't care where he plays, he's not going to be good enough for this league and we have better options for what he'd offer in any position. There's posts on here suggesting he could dictate play if played in the correct position. Bollocks could he. He needs a slower, less physical league. He's trundled around the pitch like little boy lost.

Because Tiote is so much better because he flies into tackles, concedes fouls on the edge of the area and needless yellows? His distribution is absolutely no better than Anita's. Play Abeid alongside Anita to offer some physical compensation, not the passenger that is Colback.

People on here also seem to neglect the point that confidence is an issue for players, also. If you were frozen out by your manager for a matter of seasons and now found yourself in the team only because another player is on International duty, whilst the system doesn't play anywhere near to your strengths, you probably wouldn't feel too great about yourself.

I like him as a player, and although he's not the answer to our problems he would definitely benefit the team given a run in the team under a competent manager. It's just so frustrating reading people dismiss him because he 'can't cope with the physicality of the Premiership' etc. He is one of our better players and we are not utilising him.

Because Tiote is so much better because he flies into tackles, concedes fouls on the edge of the area and needless yellows? His distribution is absolutely no better than Anita's. Play Abeid alongside Anita to offer some physical compensation, not the passenger that is Colback.

People on here also seem to neglect the point that confidence is an issue for players, also. If you were frozen out by your manager for a matter of seasons and now found yourself in the team only because another player is on International duty, whilst the system doesn't play anywhere near to your strengths, you probably wouldn't feel too great about yourself.

I like him as a player, and although he's not the answer to our problems he would definitely benefit the team given a run in the team under a competent manager. It's just so frustrating reading people dismiss him because he 'can't cope with the physicality of the Premiership' etc. He is one of our better players and we are not utilising him.

Your last sentence is laughable. Tiote is a walking disaster at the moment but is still a better option than Anita. Colback has been far better than Anita. He's had his chances, he's not taken them.

Been said before but Anita's signing never made sense at the time and still doesn't.

Still think it was with one eye on selling Cabaye that summer of the right offer came in.

Maybe. But now that he has gone he's never looked like filling his boots sadly.

Guest firetotheworks

Anyone remember that John Thompson football fan character in the Fast Show?

Oh my god! On the money. :lol:

"Soccer!"

Guest firetotheworks

This is an utterly pointless thread at the moment like. Until he's played in a 3 under a competent manager there's no point in really discussing it, everything is hypothetical unless that happens. Until then it's just people going 'he's shit' and other people going 'he'd be good in a 3 under a decent manager' over and over but for the usual boring, horse shit dressed up as knowing better from TCD.

This is an utterly pointless thread at the moment like. Until he's played in a 3 under a competent manager there's no point in really discussing it, everything is hypothetical unless that happens. Until then it's just people going 'he's shit' and other people going 'he'd be good in a 3 under a decent manager' over and over but for the usual boring, horse shit dressed up as knowing better from TCD.

It's not completely hypothetical given we have over 50 games of evidence which suggests he isn't good enough. Quality players have still impressed throughout this tragic era. Vurn hasn't.

He's had his chances, he's not taken them.

while i'm tempted to agree i think we should not forget who he's been getting these chances under, pardew and carver, and the style of play and quality of coaching both display

if we get a decent manager playing a decent system in the summer and he still doesn't flourish then aye he's not taken his chances

He's had his chances, he's not taken them.

while i'm tempted to agree i think we should not forget who he's been getting these chances under, pardew and carver, and the style of play and quality of coaching both display

if we get a decent manager playing a decent system in the summer and he still doesn't flourish then aye he's not taken his chances

The sensible and non dramatic way to look at things. By this point I thought most figured out the Pardew effect was real.